Elise

What's your favourite pocket knife? (this week/month/year & all time!)

47 posts in this topic

Just wanted to get a tally going of everyone's favourite pocket knives.

Now I know that tastes change over time, and sometimes your favourite knife for the week is not the knife you'd consider to be your all time favourite, so I'd like you to list:

• Your favourite pocket knife this week
  • Favourite for the month
  • Favourite pocket knife of the year, and
  • Your all time favourite pocket knife (if you had to choose just one!)

As always, pictures of your shinies heavily encouraged.

Can't wait to see which knives get listed!

My all-time favorite would be the Boy Scout knife I had as a youngster. Unfortunately, my kid brother lost it years and years ago. Why my favorite? I guess because it was my first. It was the one that I first learned to carve with and to process tinder & kindling with, the one that I carried and used for almost 10 years, from boyhood till my teen years. Best knife I ever owned? No. But probably the only one I'll never forget, will always remember fondly.

gerber 650, for all categories

a bit big, but it is rock solid 

Your favourite pocket knife this week - my knife for the week is the spyderco Sage 1.  i was carrying my paramilitary 2 last week to give it another shot.  IDK.  just something about it keeps me from loving it.  the sage on the other hand is just awesome all around.  highly highly recommended EDC blade

Favourite for the month - my favorite for the month would be my Benchmade 550HG with custom carbon fiber scales (pic below)

Favourite pocket knife of the year - it wont be the knife i carry the most this year, but it is the first ZT ive owned, and i really like it.  basically the knife i took a flyer on and ended up absolutely loving.  the Zero Tolerance 0562CF.  if you enjoy flipper style knives, you would be hard pressed to find a better one IMO.

Your all time favourite pocket knife (if you had to choose just one!) - not even a question on this one.  my absolute favorite all time knife (pocket or otherwise) is the Benchmade 940 and its variants.  i carry a 940-1 every day. regardless of whatever knife i may be trying out, i always have a 940 on me.  i currently have eighteen 940 models in my collection and counting.  ( i think i have a problem).  my grail knife is the 940 Ti.  i am fortunate enough to have 2 of them.  they are the gray ones in my profile pic.  the other 2 are 940-121's. 

550 CF.JPG

940-1.JPG

in case my list didnt give it away, im a sucker for carbon fiber

in case my list didnt give it away, im a sucker for carbon fiber

Feel you there ! That makes two of us :)

The Puma Sergeant is my favorite folder to date, I love the look of the clip point blade and the feel of the knife in my hand. Having ABS handles helps keep the price down for a Puma Knife. ($150.00 CDN) Just wish I had a sheath for this one as it is kinda big in my pocket on its own. A nice sheath and it would be with me every day!!!

DSC_1169.jpg

Edited by Survival Showcase

Fav pocket knife this week: Spyderco Techno. Excellent EDC.

Fav pocket knife this month: Spyderco Techno. Excellent EDC.

Fav pocket knife of the year:  Victorinox One Hand Trekker (non-serrated). Basically a pocket knife, I feel it is best carried in a sheath. It is a great option in the scrub because of it's fine saw and locking main blade.

All time fav pocket knife: The one that is in my pocket at the time...BTW, I always carry two or more sharps depending on the situation.

DomC

Edited by DomC

All time Camellus Electrician ( scraper blade and a regular that would cut mild steel and hold an edge ) Wore my last one out, company is gone, the name was bought.

right now KA-BAR 1002 , holds a great edge, will slice through copper and leave a flat surface. :-)

NO LAUGHING !!!   NO LAUGHING !!!  NO LAUGHING !!!  NO LAUGHING  !!!

In another thread I admitted: ______________________________________________

For the last 25 or so years I have carried this.

old_timer.thumb.jpg.f0f487416b3a8dcedd36

When it's in your pocket you don't know it's there.  As I was a teacher and wore dress slacks I couldn't haul around a moose skinning knife. But if need be I bet I could skin one with this.  Always sharp as a scalpel. At the Portland airport I almost got arrested because I forgot it was in the bottom of my pocket.

I get these from Amazon at about 13 bucks.  I buy them 4 at a time and give them away when I want to make an impression or show appreciation.   They are made in China now but my last batch was good as ever.

Old Timer 18OT Mighty Mite

2.8 inches closed..   2" blade

1 oz.

7CR17 high carbon steel

PJL ___________________________________________________________________________________

The rewards for breaking the rules  ~~  Can sometimes be greater than the consequences.

Edited by PJL

My favourite pocket knife this Week is the Cold Steel Voyager with the 5inch blade.  The large blade comes in very handy in the kitchen and the veld :D  It is very rust resistant and as it rainy it makes for an awesome companion in the wet weather.WP_20150906_006.thumb.jpg.8c39a4817a0e4c

The favourite for the Month goes to the Leatherman Wave as it been working hard in the office, home and field.

WP_20150531_005.thumb.jpg.8efaf903614b5d

For the Year it is the Cold Steel Vaquero 3inch blade.  This was a constant backup knife with all the other blades and went from corporate meetings to the bush and everything in-between.  That little blade cuts like a chainsaw!WP_20141109_009.thumb.jpg.a1d4d40227039f

Off All Time, the Victorinox Ecoline.  It is the knife I keep in my bedroom drawer and the first knife I turn to when I don’t know what knife I want to use.  I have used, abused, worked, modified (serrated small blade) and cared for that knife, is my All Time favourite, classic, part of me pocket knife. B|

WP_20150911_043.thumb.jpg.553c02209e4592

WP_20150911_041.thumb.jpg.57305d093579ef

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

Hi everyone,

My favorite knife this week has been the Ontario Knives RAT II:

OKRAT2.thumb.jpg.886e38b77908b7a8b2b2042

My favorite knife of the month is the Spyderco Delica 4 in brown:

Delica4FRN.thumb.jpg.b1c13fb4b7eb7ef6dbe

I've been EDCing these two knives for the past few weeks; the RAT 2 is the "dirty/beater" blade while the Delica 4 is the "clean" blade.

Moving on, my favorite knife of the year, one I've been using so far in various iterations of handles and blade shapes (e.g.: "Hawkbill" iteration, etc.), is the Byrd Medowlark 2, a great beater knife that's easy to maintain and is particularly good as "EDC for the countryside"; (here a "fresher" one pictured in G-10 - a personal favorite):

ByrdML2G10.thumb.jpg.8de706c68bd1b5f7555

Favorite all-time (so far) is the Spyderco Native 5 in G-10, which I don't have handy at the moment, so here is the same knife in the "lightweight" (linerless FRN) iteration:

Native5FRN.thumb.jpg.17868a140d4b1a09a3d

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

ianeith

Well Ok..I have some sentimental favorites that defy the weeks and years..

The pop fave for me is this one, and i carry it around, not everywhere..

Those days are gone..the World frowns on it now..

Maybe She had sumthin to do with it..I dunno..

umabuck.jpg

Favorite all-time (so far) is the Spyderco Native 5 in G-10, which I don't have handy at the moment, so here is the same knife in the "lightweight" (linerless FRN) iteration:

Native5FRN.thumb.jpg.17868a140d4b1a09a3d

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

ianeith

I really really want to play with the new Native 5 lightweight. I love full flat ground leaf blades so I think this will be a winner for me.

How does it compare to the Delica?

I really really want to play with the new Native 5 lightweight. I love full flat ground leaf blades so I think this will be a winner for me.

How does it compare to the Delica?

I haven't carried the Native 5 for extended periods, because I'm still working on my sharpening skills and therefore prefer to carry lower grade steels; the harder the task the lower-grade the steel for me right now. Highest "level" of steel that I carry is VG-10 and CTS BD1, and my current EDC blade is usually made of Chinese/ AUS 8/ 420HC. 

However, having played with the N5LW without actually substantially using it, it is a fine knife with great "in-the-hand" feel due to handle ergonomics, which disappears in the pocket due to lack of weight; highly recommended. Feels to me like a baby brother (cousin?) to the Manix 2 LW. It has a very thick lock-bar that inspires confidence, much like the ball-bearing of the M2LW (not to say, however, that the Delica lock has ever shown any signs of give).

When compared to the Delica 4, it has a more substantial blade that makes one feel comfortable using it for more intensive tasks. Ideally I would carry a Manix 2 and a Delica 4 OR a Native 5 on its own, and feel covered for countryside excursions. While the M2LW is wider in the pocket than an Endura, I personally am more comfortable with the stockier, shorter FFG leaf blade, rather than the long Endura steel.

M2LW carries nice in the pocket with the "perfection" wire clip that Spyderco does; kind of wish the N5LW also had this clip, rather than the Tenacious-style SS clip. 

Here's a picture of the Manix 2 LW for fun (and comparison):

Manix2LWtrnsblu.thumb.jpg.ca78743008a684

Edited by ianeith

Favorite????? I have no favorite.
Anyway. I really haven't taken many pictures of gear. I don't have a macro lens or the like.
But here's some photos of my current most carried knives taken with my iPhone, just playing around.
I have so many knives, around 200 of them. Yes, I'm obsessed. 
Hopefully I'll take some time in the future to bring more.

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2532 (1).JPG

Favorite????? I have no favorite.
Anyway. I really haven't taken many pictures of gear. I don't have a macro lens or the like.
But here's some photos of my current most carried knives taken with my iPhone, just playing around.
I have so many knives, around 200 of them. Yes, I'm obsessed. 
Hopefully I'll take some time in the future to bring more.

IMG_2523.JPG

nice "delicendura" collection

nice "delicendura" collection

Was gonna say similar, but this is funnier haha.

Looks like the  UT112558: Workman Series | Special Purpose Knives, Utica Cutlery Company,  is a knock off of the electrician knife I liked. They are out of the two blade right now but have a three :) I'll be finding out if they use the same grade of steel. Only problem I ever had with my old one was I lent it to someone who couldn't figure out how to close the screw driver blade and forced it so badly that it was lose from then on. ( Not bright enough to read the word "press" stamped into the release ).

Hoping for the best. ^_^

Your favourite pocket knife this week - my knife for the week is the spyderco Sage 1.  i was carrying my paramilitary 2 last week to give it another shot.  IDK.  just something about it keeps me from loving it.  the sage on the other hand is just awesome all around.  highly highly recommended EDC blade

Favourite for the month - my favorite for the month would be my Benchmade 550HG with custom carbon fiber scales (pic below)

Favourite pocket knife of the year - it wont be the knife i carry the most this year, but it is the first ZT ive owned, and i really like it.  basically the knife i took a flyer on and ended up absolutely loving.  the Zero Tolerance 0562CF.  if you enjoy flipper style knives, you would be hard pressed to find a better one IMO.

Your all time favourite pocket knife (if you had to choose just one!) - not even a question on this one.  my absolute favorite all time knife (pocket or otherwise) is the Benchmade 940 and its variants.  i carry a 940-1 every day. regardless of whatever knife i may be trying out, i always have a 940 on me.  i currently have eighteen 940 models in my collection and counting.  ( i think i have a problem).  my grail knife is the 940 Ti.  i am fortunate enough to have 2 of them.  they are the gray ones in my profile pic.  the other 2 are 940-121's. 

550 CF.JPG

940-1.JPG

The scales on that CF Grip look heavenly. Completely jealous!

they are great.  i bought them second hand, but they were made by igor.  he is a custom scale maker from russia.  if you search 'griptilian scales by igor' you will find him.  he makes some cool stuff

Dear Elise,

My flavor of the week was the Leatherman (go figure) FUSE.

Used pliers to fix a friends gate, sheared the hare of the pup to get to a wound.  Opened numerous bottles, readjusted scissors fixed a plug or 2.  Was a good knife or a working week!

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

WP_20151113_008.jpg

WP_20151113_009.jpg

WP_20151113_010.jpg

WP_20151113_011.jpg

WP_20151113_013.jpg

20151130_075150.thumb.jpg.fc8dc69da8a229My current pocket knife. I've been carrying it for 4 years or so. A Kershaw. Not sure of the model. It's spring-assisted. The aggressive blade ain't much for gutting or skinning, but you can stab the shit outta something with it.