Survival Threads
zackmars

Mossberg 590A1

20170621_174313.thumb.jpg.5384d58cb884160f3039c544ab9da184.jpg

Based off the Mossberg 500, the 590A1 has a number of features that were requested by the military, including a metal safety, and trigger group, heavy walled barrel, and bayonet lug.

This isn't an upland game gun, with 9 shells of 00 buck (the gun has an 8 round tube, and can hold 1 in the chamber) the thing weighs around 10 pounds, or about 4.5 kilos.

Various models exist, and can have different barrel lengths, different stocks and fore ends, different trigger and saftey packs, and different sights. This particular one has the standard polymer furniture, 8+1 capacity, 20" barrel, and ghost ring sights.

Like most new pumps, the action is rather stiff, and will require working in, as will the mag tube, filling it up amd letting it sit for a day or two often fixes this.

Whichever barrel you get, 20, 18.5, or 14, the barrel will have a cylinder choke, which is to say it is a perfect cylinder. Should you want to thread it for chokes, the barrel is more than thick enough to handle it.

The stock is compatible with other Mossberg stocks, so if you don't like what you've got, it's easy to fix. The polymer on the stock is nice and thick, and has a really nice recoil pad, but the stock is LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG. a  14.25" length of pull can make the gun quite the pain to use, many replacement options exist.

20170621_181315.thumb.jpg.1c262f0f939f2d6b31c049107706ace1.jpg

20170621_181833.thumb.jpg.69ab7f512a2691bf0e32a9b42736135c.jpg

The shotgun has a 3 inch chamber, so you have a good variety of loads to pick from. It should be noted, depending on the shell length and crimp type, capacity will also be effected.

The ghost ring sights are very nice, the rear is adjustable for elevation, and the front can be drifted for windage. You can get tritium front sight blades if you wish.

20170621_181410.thumb.jpg.3a61ac663218b8956d47185337a0bd70.jpg

20170621_181450.thumb.jpg.8ea6763c74cb8991aa1ba7fa8eb31924.jpg

20170621_181515.thumb.jpg.d3d2b5440d524db3508f5834d694e44c.jpg

The finish is a nice grey phosphate, the regular 500's and 590's are blued, recievers (aluminum) are anodized.

I was only able to run 75 rounds of low brass #8, but aside from action stiffness, the gun ran perfect. As i continue to use this gun, i will update this thread.

20170621_181534.jpg

• Upvote 2

I have one of Mossberg's Model 835 3-1/2 inch 12 gage turkey guns. Show guns Mossbergs are not, but there is a reason why the cops here keep them in their cars, they are that dependable. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I have one of Mossberg's Model 835 3-1/2 inch 12 gage turkey guns. Show guns Mossbergs are not, but there is a reason why the cops here keep them in their cars, they are that dependable. 

Ive got one of those too! Lord only knows how many rounds have been put through it

20170622_133001.jpg

1 hour ago, zackmars said:

Ive got one of those too! Lord only knows how many rounds have been put through it

20170622_133001.jpg

That will kick you in the shoulder when you touch that thing off..

• Upvote 1

Some rifles are designed to transfer recoil away from the operator. For instance..

DavyCrockettBomb.jpg.526889f4ac51f158720eeef333fcc105.jpg

By US government DOD and/or DOE photograph - Chuck Hansen, The Swords of Armageddon: U.S. Nuclear Weapons Development Since 1945 (Sunnyvale, CA: Chukelea Publications, 1995).[1], Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=291886

While it has about the range of that 3540 meter sniper shot, it is a bit more forgiving of error.

• Upvote 1

Looks like its going back to mossberg.

I hadn't shot the gun in awhile, but the saftey was pretty stiff, so i was cycling it on and off.

After a bit, it suddenly became really easy to use, and i heard a rattling noise in the reciever. Put the gun on safe, and dry fired it. The rear leg of the saftey broke off, and the gun could fire on safe.

Emailed mossberg, they sent me a pre-paid label to send it back.

:/

20170731_123321.jpg

20170731_123329.jpg

• Upvote 1

Got it back today, entire saftey assembly was replaced, gun was testfired 6 times, 3 rounds of 2 3/4 inch field loads, and 3 rounds of 3 inch field loads.

If it wasn't raining id hit the range, but they're flooded out

• Upvote 1

Not being savvy with firearms, I have to ask- so the gun was still fully functional? & what could have caused this, metal fatigue?

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Not being savvy with firearms, I have to ask- so the gun was still fully functional? & what could have caused this, metal fatigue?

The gun could still fire, it could also fire when placed on safe.

I also could not bring the slide all the way to the rear, and could not load another round due to the little metal piece floating around the reciver.

Not sure what could have caused it, most likely poor QC slipped through the cracks

• Upvote 1

Small enough piece they may have depended on visual inspection. Doesn't always show casting flaws. Never trust a safety anyhow. Friend had a 22 version of a 303 Enfield that would fire when the safety was removed if the trigger had been pulled when it was on. Accident looking for a place to happen.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Gary_Gough said:

Small enough piece they may have depended on visual inspection. Doesn't always show casting flaws. Never trust a safety anyhow. Friend had a 22 version of a 303 Enfield that would fire when the safety was removed if the trigger had been pulled when it was on. Accident looking for a place to happen.

Yup. This gun is kept "cruiser ready" (mag tube full, empty chamber) so tbe saftey isn't a big deal. I hardly ever use it anyway, but i dislike having broken parts on my guns.

• Upvote 1

So far the new safety is holding up

Been trying out the magpul SGA stock, and its quite nice. I still think it looks terrible, and it's a PITA to loosen the bolt every time you want to remove the trigger pack, but the buttpad is nice and soft, and you can easily adjust the LOP and comb height

15052950248271039983225.jpg

Well, if you don't like it after awhile you can always switch back, but I think aesthetics went out the window when Mossberg put a composite stock on it. :D 

• Upvote 1

What I wonder is will that big paddle stock get caught in your coat when snap-shooting?  It has all the adjustments that used to be available only in target rifles, but I have to confess a prejudice because for a time I borrowed one of these Pardners with a very awkward stock for deer hunting and it was a challenge to shoulder and shoot it.  Granted the after-market stock on the trench gun doesn't have  a stupid grip on it, but it still looks cumbersome.

I just like traditional, it's a personal preference.

pardner.jpg

Edited by Rick
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rick said:

What I wonder is will that big paddle stock get caught in your coat when snap-shooting?  It has all the adjustments that used to be available only in target rifles, but I have to confess a prejudice because for a time I borrowed one of these Pardners with a very awkward stock for deer hunting and it was a challenge to shoulder and shoot it.  Granted the after-market stock on the trench gun doesn't have  a stupid grip on it, but it still looks cumbersome.

I just like traditional, it's a personal preference.

pardner.jpg

Its not that bad.

Not exactly the best source on this, i tend to carry long arms at low ready, with a few exceptions

Pretty much got it figured out. Couldn't find any sling and light set up that i like, so I've just decided to slap on a velcro side saddle and call it done.

Just a cheap no name version i found on amazon, I'll probably upgrade to an esstac sometime down the line

Point Blur_Mar072018_004514.jpg

20180307_004042.jpg

Comparison of a 835, 590a1, and the shockwave

20180411_231502.thumb.jpg.460f51198517c338ece4b689f38e43d0.jpg

The A1 has gone through some more changes, a wolff extra power magazine spring, an S&J high visibility follower, and I'm giving the light setup another shot.

I put some ranger bands on the raptor grip, need to find an old bike innertube for more grip. Added a 5 round shotcard, and set up a BFG VCAS sling, not shown. Need to order another follower and extra power spring for both the 835 and the shockwave.

I've got a cheap scabbard coming, this may or may not turn into a more involved project.

The action on the shockwave has slicked up quite well