Survival Threads
astroguy321

Ammo philosophy

Hello fellow Preppers,

I'm new to the forum and am eager to learn as much as I can.

I'm wondering how most of you are accumulating ammunition?  I stay pretty much n tune with the online sellers and there are some pretty good deals out there.

How many of you do your own reloading? I know there's the up-front costs of dies, presses, primers, powder, etc, - just wondered how popular it is these days?

Thanks!

Ken

offthegridprepper.com

well..nice to see you.

i shoot 20 to 50 rounds through a .303 at a dollar a round every year to stay sharp as i will only take big game here in Canada in the future if i have to. I did enough of hunting and killing and butchering wild game in the field, and at this point, all i will happily gut is seafood.

Not a big investment. PRVI Partisan is good reloadable brass and a Lee handloader used on ebay will go for less than 50 dollars in .303 last time i checked, and is a superb way to roll yer own and it ends up costing half that of boxed rounds..in .303. I can smash a clay pigeon at 300 yards, so i wonder what more the old jungle carbine has to do for me and the answer is nothing.

If You are looking at your world like the Zombie Apocalypse is coming, get cheap Russian guns with cheap Russian Ammo, like an SKS with a couple of crates of 7.62x39. Or maybe an SVT40..$200 for an arsenal refurbished item, even cheaper used..and $150 for 1200 rounds of cold war 7.62x54 ammo. 

You will not asking a reloading question any time soon, plus the gun and a couple of crates of  will cost You about the same as a decent reloading kit. How long would it take You to load or spend 2400 rounds?

However, if Putin is a little too close but for Donald Trump's personal pleasure, then perhaps a USA Gun with a NATO calibre. It will cost You more, but when times are good, NATO rounds are plentiful, and when times are really f'ing bad, with any luck, they will be giving it away..at least that is the plan. Reloading may be more of a 500 dollar spend gathering dust on the shelf and saving your half decent brass just in case.

Here in sasquatchland, Chinee guns are all the rage. Ammo is too cheap to reload. We can get an M-14 knock off (made off the original US tooling) - brand new chambered in .308 NATO or for 7.62x39. Under $1000 will buy the gun and a crate of ammo. An M-14 with ammo too cheap to reload is what a lot of gunners want in these wide open spaces up here. Why not?

Anyways, good luck folks, one cannot separate the gun from the ammo...choose wisely and one might hopefully get a crate of ammo, then think about reloading after a couple thousand rounds are gone and not before for some perspective.

Range dogs, .338 Lapua fans or Krag collectors will not have read this through i am sure..they have no choice but to reload if the pursuit can eat them out of house and home but for the wealthy. Those issues rightfully require some emotional support best left to others as i am not in that boat..yet..

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, astroguy321 said:

Hello fellow Preppers,

I'm new to the forum and am eager to learn as much as I can.

I'm wondering how most of you are accumulating ammunition?  I stay pretty much n tune with the online sellers and there are some pretty good deals out there.

How many of you do your own reloading? I know there's the up-front costs of dies, presses, primers, powder, etc, - just wondered how popular it is these days?

Thanks!

Ken

offthegridprepper.com

Welcome!  

I've learned with all of the ammunition scares over the years to buy a little ammo regularly when things are "normal."  Maybe even on sale at the end of dove season!  We keep at least two boxes of ammunition for each weapon in case future politicians make things even weirder.  I purchase additional ammo before we have a practice or fun family shoot.  This keeps the hunting ammo on the shelf.

For real fun and "re-loading, try some black powder shooting!

• Upvote 1

I cannot contribute to this conversation sadly (for now!) but I am interested in your approach to stockpiling ammunition. Specially from the more firearm savvy members like @zackmars !

• Upvote 2

I shoot a few k per month, easy to do with 12ga, 5.56, and 9mm, none of which are hard to find under .30 CPR (cents per round)

Depending on what you shoot, reloading might not be worth it. It takes a good chunk of change to make things like 9mm or 5.56 worth it. Full power rifle rounds, and some pistol rounds make lots of sense to reload for, and unless you are shooting a lot, you can get away with a bare bones reloading setup.

Reloading will not get you out of an ammo scare. People will have the same idea, and dust off thier presses, and buy all the powder and primers in view. BTDT, 2012.

I have a reloading setup, an old single stage, and it works for what i use it for, mostly .30 carbine and .30-06, but i prefer to just stock factory ammo, not only can some factory loads not be duplicated by handloading, but also because I'm not accurate enough to be limited by factory ammo

As far as my stockpile (at least the minimum I'd like to have), 5k per load, So for 9mm pistols i have say, 5k rounds of 147 gr gold dots, and 5k 147 gr law man. There are some exceptions, like 7.62x54, .30-06, .45lc, .410, etc. I also own a lot more than 5k per load for most of my calibers, but you get the idea

It sounds like a lot, but remember that for like 5-6 years here in the US, .22lr was almost impossible to find. For someone who doesn't shoot much, or is on a budget, 1k per caliber is a good amount to have on hand

Edited by zackmars
Added
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Thomas said:

I cannot contribute to this conversation sadly (for now!) but I am interested in your approach to stockpiling ammunition. Specially from the more firearm savvy members like @zackmars !

While I do have a selection I can't claim to spend much effort to acquire expertise. Stocked up on a few thousand 22LR ages ago , and about 500 rounds of hyper velocity ( and one rifle sighted in for it ) Otherwise 306 and 303. Too old and diabetic ( random amounts of shaky ... messes up my ability to do surface mount soldering too ) so not much point doing custom loads unless I want some light loads. I've toyed with the idea of making a few rounds of home made black powder rounds for the Enfield, just to see how the stuff 500 years ago worked comparatively. I know that's a horrible thing to do to a good rifle, but also be interesting to see how much cleaning is involved. Pretty sure the powder itself would pack some force, used as rocket ignition squibs it is, if anything, too good. The original 303 rounds were actually real black powder, so some historical grounds. Of course different loading specs ( was by volume not weight ) and the history of "fire drug" is an interesting bit of research on it's own. This stuff dates back to alchemy after all. One of those bits of experimental stuff that might be interesting once, and after that no point bothering. Like making your own transistors or tubes from scratch, fun to do but your results will be, at best, learning. ( Lead sulphate is a semi conductor... maybe a point contact transistor... hmmm )

Hunting, if it takes more then one round then I shouldn't be; a trap line in need is a better option anyhow. Opposing an invading army, well far better inviting them in for coffee and biscuits. Live longer that way. Other then target practice and a bit of routine maintenance I hardly use any, maybe 10 rounds in the last 5 years actually shooting wildlife and that was mostly putting down injured game in the interest of shortening their traffic related deaths. I'm really not impressed with hit and run drivers. I may try a few rabbits soon though, as they are back near the top of their cycle ( almost trip over them just walking to the shop ). 

• Upvote 1

astroguy321 I've been a handloader / bullet caster for over 40 years.  It's been a life long hobby as well as a assurance that I will not have to worry about ammo for any of my rifles,handguns or shotguns regardless of market forces or which way the political winds blow.  I've seen many a shortage of both ammo as well as reloading components of all types over the years but none of them have had any affect on when,what or how much I shoot.   Keeping a good supply or components to reload all my various calibers is a way to stay ahead of the curve as nothing for the most part ever gets cheaper and it's just part of my preps as well.

As to my reloading setup I have nothing fancy,I still use the same old Lyman Orange Crusher press,Lyman D-7 scales and case trimmer I bought back in my late teens.  I've added a few different pieces of powder handling equipment and small tools along the way.  About my only major expense these days is when I add a new bullet mold about once a year from  NOE or Accurate but the majority of my bullet molds are Lee of which I have 14 of those,2 old Lyman/Ideal an one Accurate mold I had cut special for my Mosin rifles and 3 NOE molds for 9mm,38/357 and 7.62 x 39.  Although a couple of my molds are caliber and gun specific many of them can be used in multiple caliber rifles or handguns it just depends on what dia. I size the bullet to.  Most all my cast bullets are basically free except the ones I use a gas check on which cost me about 3 cent each.  I gathered all the different alloy and pure lead I use for casting free for asking most of it years ago but it's much harder to find nowadays but I have enough ingots of various alloys to last me a long time,plus I mine my shooting berm about once a year and recover a good portion of the bullets fired into it as well as those fellow shooters leave behind melt them down and use them again.  I pretty much shoot around nine cast lead bullets to every one jacketed bullet I fire.  Some of my firearms have never had a jacketed bullet fired in them if I acquired them new.

I pretty much use handloaded ammo for all my general purpose target shooting and hunting but I keep a few hundred rds. of factory SD ammo for my handguns and steel case ammo for my 7.62 x 39.54r an 9 x 18 Makarov in my rainy day stash although I reload for them as well.

• Upvote 2

We have been accumulating ammo for many years with a couple bulk online orders a month for centerfire rifle / pistol shtf ammo and pickup 4 or 5 cases of shotgun ammo at Cabelas whenever we need it.

I don't trust myself reloading. Premium US Made ammo is good for us and we all have the same shtf firearms & calibers so it adds up fast. Spare parts are easier to maintain as well.

Good luck with your ammo storage. Stack it deep while you can. 

Edited by RockinB
  • Upvote 1

On 7/10/2017 at 0:52 AM, KCM said:

Welcome!  

I've learned with all of the ammunition scares over the years to buy a little ammo regularly when things are "normal."  Maybe even on sale at the end of dove season!  We keep at least two boxes of ammunition for each weapon in case future politicians make things even weirder.  I purchase additional ammo before we have a practice or fun family shoot.  This keeps the hunting ammo on the shelf.

For real fun and "re-loading, try some black powder shooting!

I've done enough hunting with black powder to be able to count on it as a legitimate hunting arm, although my eyes aren't good enough to shoot a rifle with iron sights any more. Sooo, in addition to having two modern shotguns of different gages, I also have a 12 ga blackpowder shotgun. No need to worry about reloading ammo for that. 

• Upvote 1

Good points Aquinas:

Developing a front sight picture with iron sights can be a challenge for aging eyes.

I do some amateur Astronomy and have an issue with floaters that are a detraction, now decided to keep with a smaller telescope and forego an investment that i can no longer utilize to a more highly perceptible and expensive advantage.

• Upvote 1

It's a pity, I have a very nice black powder rifle that I had a guy build for me and I keep trying to give it away and nobody wants it. My daughter in law is afraid my grandson will blow himself up with it, and the guys I know who hunt with black powder prefer the modern blackpowder arms with inline actions that you can mount a 'scope on. 

If I was close enough I am sure I can still hit a deer in the vitals with a rifle, but if I was that close I could also shoot it with a bow. 

I have a small(ish) telescope, too, but some of the guys I know have cameras rigged to their big telescopes so they can see what the telescope is seeing on their computers. I am sure that isn't cheap, though. 

Edited by Aquinas

On 7/21/2017 at 4:32 AM, Aquinas said:

It's a pity, I have a very nice black powder rifle that I had a guy build for me and I keep trying to give it away and nobody wants it. My daughter in law is afraid my grandson will blow himself up with it, and the guys I know who hunt with black powder prefer the modern blackpowder arms with inline actions that you can mount a 'scope on. 

Aquinas,

I caught the black powder bug a few years ago.  Our great grandads we're not under-gunned!  Tell me about your rifle!  Pics!

It's a .54 caliber half stock Hawken, percussion cap ignition, pretty much a dead ringer of the one displayed at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri. It's like this one in this picture although the one in the picture is something I got from the internet. The only one I have of my own has me in it and I can't lay my hands on it right this minute. I have had this rifle for 30+ years and it has taken a lot of game and won a lot of prizes. I am not likely to take up big game hunting again any time soon, though, and I was looking for a good home for it among friends and family. 

sh801-santafehawken-30-50cal-mpl.jpg

Edited by Aquinas

16 minutes ago, reloader762 said:

Nice rifle there Aquinas,my brother has a 50 cal. Hawken he built from a kit that is similar. I love shooting that rifle with 350+ gr. Maxi balls.

Mine has slow twist rifling (1:66) and although I have not tried to shoot bullets out of it I wouldn't expect that to work very well. Also, having taken deer with round balls with one shot I don't know if Maxi bullets are necessary, but they probably are a bit easier to load when you have cold hands.  

Edited by Aquinas