Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Quarterly Check time: How often do you check your preps?

Quarterly Check time: How often do you check your preps? I try to stay on target and check my flashlights, spare batteries, fire extinguishers, radios, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors at least once per quarter.

Of the the 32 flash lights I checked in the cars, bug out bags, every day carry, and just all about the place I had to replace 10 batteries (I don't like to go below 1.2 volts and one flash light was completely  dead (that one has done that before might be time to replace the flash light and toss the old one). The inventory of my spare batteries tell me it's time to order some more AAAs. All my radios are in working order and fully charged; 4 mobile units in their charging stations and one base station all working fine, plus my mobile in the car. 5 fire extinguishers from 2lbs to 20lbs (the 20 lbs is a bit old and I think I will replace it, and use the old one to train the family). The Smoke/Carbon Monoxide  detectors are all only about 7 months old but it never hurts to test and make sure all is well, anyone have a smoke detector in the garage?

All this is tracked on a handy check list with all the notes of my findings, like I realized that we have no flashlights in the nightstands, pistols yes but no lights, might be time to get that light attachment I've been wanting.

Don't forget to check those preps.

No where near as a often as I should. We have 120 servings of 30 year (shelf life) food which is our "in the cupboard just in case". The rest of the preps are bulk purchases that we use on a continuous basis- cans etc. so we do cycle through which allows us to keep on top of things.

I keep the HAM radio charged always and as for batteries- my 18650's are always getting cycled due to my vaping habit so that helps. ;) 

The shelf life on charge in a 18650 is pretty impressive too. Li-ion in general.. I have a 35 year old "credit card" calculator that came with a 2016 , it finally needed a new one about 5 years ago.

So far the only dead lights I've had since I largely switched to 18650, 14500 and 10440 cells have been a few times a light got accidentally turned on ( usually in my pocket on the key chain ) Other then that I have a few legacy alkaline cell lights, and even after 3 months I've found some of those leaking.

21 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

Quarterly Check time: How often do you check your preps? I try to stay on target and check my flashlights, spare batteries, fire extinguishers, radios, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors at least once per quarter.

Of the the 32 flash lights I checked

32 flash lights, Holy Moly I wouldn't remember where haft of them were.

Quarterly is a good schedule and I do the same for supplies and such. I rotate so quarterly is a good time to move forward and do inventory. Update the needed list and generally have a look at the general condition of the supplies. I always seem to find things like " I never seen that ding in that can before" best move it forward.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, dthomasdigital said:

Why do you think I have a check list. It does however cover 2 cars, 2 houses, tool boxes, 5 bug out bags, work locations, and a radio shack. 

Yeah I could see using a checklist for those. Maybe a checklist for your checklists with that many locations to keep organized. A place for everything and everything in it's place.

Just for fun. I have a optometrist with a bit of OCD, Has to do things three times. I told my missus I know we're getting good eye exams but I'm glad he's not a surgeon.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, crazyman said:

Just for fun. I have a optometrist with a bit of OCD, Has to do things three times. I told my missus I know we're getting good eye exams but I'm glad he's not a surgeon.

Now thats funny.