Survival Threads
PappyHiker

All Things Archery

PappyHiker    385

I have been doing archery for many years now....... Decided to get a new bow a couple of months ago...... went back to traditional archery. And you know, after this purchase I rediscovered my love for it.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

PappyHiker    385

What's even greater about my new found love for archery is that Mare now loves it too. Especially now that she can have it customized to her likes with colored bow strings.

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

Edited by PappyHiker

Rspreps    156

Looks good! Nice property to practice too! Got my 8 year old daughter into archery this year. Did a week of archery camp. Probably shoots better than me already! 

PappyHiker    385
3 hours ago, Rspreps said:

Looks good! Nice property to practice too! Got my 8 year old daughter into archery this year. Did a week of archery camp. Probably shoots better than me already! 

We run an archery camp at my local game association. Its really great the youth turn out we've had over the past few years. What is even better yet is that many of the youth that have attended the camp are now participating in our 3D shoots also.

elde    0

Chief Aj's slingbow and Dave Canterbury's take down arrows make always having a bow at hand a lot easier. It is not under tension all the time, it's easily concealed in pack or in your vehicle.

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/three-piece-take-down-arrows#shopify-product-reviews

ebay slingbow, $80

https://www.ebay.com/i/142346109593?chn=ps&dispItem=1

PappyHiker    385
9 hours ago, elde said:

Chief Aj's slingbow and Dave Canterbury's take down arrows make always having a bow at hand a lot easier. It is not under tension all the time, it's easily concealed in pack or in your vehicle.

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/three-piece-take-down-arrows#shopify-product-reviews

ebay slingbow, $80 

https://www.ebay.com/i/142346109593?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Looked at this many times already. It's cool and all, but thus far I've really developed no desire to buy any. These may be okay for emergency or occasional fun, but there is an uncertainty about the longentivity of these arrows. I shoot allot. Nothing like going thru a minimum of 120 arrows per session. These were originally made for the pocket hunting system, kind of like an emergancy/survival use system. Something you use in the interim, something to get you by. Not neccessarily for long term heavier use.
Not that I won't in the future buy the system. I may just do that. Just don't have the interest now. But I do wonder how the system would work on a 4 course 3D shoot with 30 targets per course. Then go thru a block shoot...........

Edited by PappyHiker

crazyman    135
On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎12 at 6:15 PM, PappyHiker said:

Anybody out there participate?

Used to do quite a bit when I was a kid. Great way to spend a couple hours after school. Was thinking about getting back into it again even if just for a Saturday morning thing during the winters. There are a couple of great places fairly close to me too but I just got to get up the gumption and do it this winter.

Great pics of a great skill to practise.

Gary_Gough    1,167
On 8/12/2017 at 4:15 PM, PappyHiker said:

Anybody out there participate?

Been awhile. Picked up some dead compound bows ( dead strings and pulleys , bows are ok ) and have vague ideas about either casting replacements or finding some generic that can be made to fit. Was fun 50 years ago even if I was never very good.

PappyHiker    385
8 hours ago, crazyman said:

Used to do quite a bit when I was a kid. Great way to spend a couple hours after school. Was thinking about getting back into it again even if just for a Saturday morning thing during the winters. There are a couple of great places fairly close to me too but I just got to get up the gumption and do it this winter.

Great pics of a great skill to practise.

I quit for a period of time and have only gotten back to it several months ago. And I'm loving it. You should give it another try......... maybe you'll get hooked like me.

Edited by PappyHiker

PappyHiker    385
34 minutes ago, Gary_Gough said:

Been awhile. Picked up some dead compound bows ( dead strings and pulleys , bows are ok ) and have vague ideas about either casting replacements or finding some generic that can be made to fit. Was fun 50 years ago even if I was never very good.

I just redid my old Hoyt Spectra. I didn't try making any replacement parts. I instead I had to search out what I needed on the net. The bow has been out of production for quite some time now.  But its old news now. Going to trade it........
However, my new addiction has been more for traditional archery. Don't plan on going back to compound any time soon..........

• Like 1

Gary_Gough    1,167
7 hours ago, PappyHiker said:

I just redid my old Hoyt Spectra. I didn't try making any replacement parts. I instead I had to search out what I needed on the net. The bow has been out of production for quite some time now.  But its old news now. Going to trade it........
However, my new addiction has been more for traditional archery. Don't plan on going back to compound any time soon..........

My Bear is a similar story, out of production for so long they can't even quote specs. Reason I'm thinking of trying my own has more to do with learning the pitfalls. Any inconsistency between ends is going to do horrible things to accuracy and I expect my results will fall into the silly category, but maybe usable if I'm lucky, and I'll know more after working on the math to create the shape.