Jump to content
Survival Threads
zackmars

Harvey pictures

Recommended Posts

Pics from our yard during hurricane Harvey. We were not hit directly, but we are getting tons of rain and lots of wind.

 

As of now it's still raining, and i wouldn't be surprised if we get water in our house.

 

As if by some miracle, we haven't lost power. Yet.

20170827_085700.jpg

20170827_085656.jpg

Point Blur_Aug272017_090321.jpg

Point Blur_Aug272017_090204.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" Houston Police‏Verified account @houstonpolice 2h2 hours ago

Anyone with a boat who can volunteer to help please call 713-881-3100 #HurricaneHarvey "

Too far away but....

Chainsaws might be good too. Have used them to go through roofs fighting fires. Bound to be people who have retreated into attics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thomas said:

Is it likely to get worse?

Eh. I think the worst part is over, but we still have rain coming, at least untill friday

6 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

Be safe @zackmars hope you have an escape plan, keep that boat handy.

Yup! And thanks!

 

1 hour ago, Rspreps said:

Best of luck Zackmars and I hope there is high ground near you. 

Thanks, and there are several areas that are decently high up around us, should it ever come to that

1 hour ago, dthomasdigital said:

If anyone ever ask why you prep show them @zackmars pictures, scary stuff.

Yup. I'm pretty much stuck here, unless i wanted to go kayaking in the ditches.  Can't even drive to the nearby convenience store, much less a real supermarket.

 

55 minutes ago, Gary_Gough said:

" Houston Police‏Verified account @houstonpolice 2h2 hours ago

Anyone with a boat who can volunteer to help please call 713-881-3100 #HurricaneHarvey "

Too far away but....

Chainsaws might be good too. Have used them to go through roofs fighting fires. Bound to be people who have retreated into attics.

If i could, I'd be there yesterday, but the truck couldn't go through some of the water I'd have to go through to get there, plus the boat would probably float off it's trailer. I have all the respect in the world for the people who are pitching in.

 

We have a few tools and some signalling equipment in our attic for this very reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The words that are repeated over and over in the news are massive, unprecedented, historic...  so far with the death toll at 9 and people being rescued in a coordinated response it's looking like a success story compared to other disasters.  How much more damage will of course be determined by how much more rain.  Good luck to everyone down there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These were the only cars i could get a good pic of, there were at least 6 other ones.

 

No water or bread at krogers, very little lunch meat

 

Some places the water level was at about 10 feet

20170830_101321.jpg

20170830_102320.jpg

20170830_094815.jpg

20170830_101424.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Force and moving water can be deceptive. Water moving at 12 mph will put about as much sideways force on the bottom 1/2 of the tires ( assuming that's all that's submerged ) as a 120 mph wind will push against the full side of a car. ( water = 1000 kg / m^3 , air = 1.225 kg/ m^3 , energy = 1/2 mv^2 ).  Hope everyone got out of those cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the updated posts Zackmars...good to know you're still ok (relatively speaking). I worry that the stress of the situation on people will start to really multiply over the next week(s). Stories of some looting (and general unrest) are starting to come out. Right now the stories of heroism and neighbours helping each other are great...hope things stay that way. Katrina's aftermath was similar but then turned ugly. Can only trust that FEMA learned some lessons and will be able to keep people's confidence in the system....losing your home is no small thing, but if they lose hope, faith in the system too...From what I see, most people aren't prepared (like those on this site)...desperation can work its way quickly into the mind. 

Edited by Rspreps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2017 at 8:01 PM, Rspreps said:

Thanks for the updated posts Zackmars...good to know you're still ok (relatively speaking). I worry that the stress of the situation on people will start to really multiply over the next week(s). Stories of some looting (and general unrest) are starting to come out. Right now the stories of heroism and neighbours helping each other are great...hope things stay that way. Katrina's aftermath was similar but then turned ugly. Can only trust that FEMA learned some lessons and will be able to keep people's confidence in the system....losing your home is no small thing, but if they lose hope, faith in the system too...From what I see, most people aren't prepared (like those on this site)...desperation can work its way quickly into the mind. 

Thanks.

 

This won't be like Katrina, the factors that made Katrina such a soup sandwich just simply aren't here, from city layout, culture, all the way down to LEO competence...

 

All the stories about looting and murder are coming out of the areas they always do, for lack of a better term, the "bad parts" of town. Looters don't last long here anyways, people will ride out cat 5's just to protect their stuff from looters. As for FEMA, they didn't learn from Katrina or Ike, so I doubt they'll be any better this time around. But they aren't telling all the aid groups to shove it this time around (AFAIK), so who knows.

 

The only people here who have faith in the system are the ones who haven't gone through this before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to add, you can't prepare for a storm like Harvey. You can try, but you'll run yourself ragged jumping at every storm coming your way, especially when 99.999999% of them either turn away at the last second, or just give some wind and rain

 

It wasn't inching its way to us as a cat 4, it was just going to be a cat 1 at most.

In a period less than a few hours, it kicked up to a 4, and hit land. Then it stayed there.

 

It would be like if you drove into a parked car at 2 mph, and instead of a little shake, both cars blew up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are OK, Zackmars!

We were far enough North to avoid any flooding.  Some of our church members took a boat down and rescued or transported many folks.  We heard of hay and feed shortages and livestock stranded with helicopter drops of hay.  The Texas Dept. of Agriculture established feed drop off locations around the area.

My neighbor donated hay, so we loaded 10,000 lbs and took it down to Beaumont on Tuesday.  A local small town feed store donated 500 lbs of cow cubes.  Got there just after the road re-opened. Amazing how much water came with the hurricane!  It felt good to help, but the need is still great.  Ya'll take care!

 

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, KCM said:

Glad you are OK, Zackmars!

We were far enough North to avoid any flooding.  Some of our church members took a boat down and rescued or transported many folks.  We heard of hay and feed shortages and livestock stranded with helicopter drops of hay.  The Texas Dept. of Agriculture established feed drop off locations around the area.

My neighbor donated hay, so we loaded 10,000 lbs and took it down to Beaumont on Tuesday.  A local small town feed store donated 500 lbs of cow cubes.  Got there just after the road re-opened. Amazing how much water came with the hurricane!  It felt good to help, but the need is still great.  Ya'll take care!

 

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Good on ya for lending a hand....pray for Florida now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rspreps said:

Good on ya for lending a hand....pray for Florida now. 

Amen!  They need it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elise and I have been avidly watching the situation from here in the UK and its absolutely crazy. Any longterm damage around your neck of the woods @zackmars ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Elise and I have been avidly watching the situation from here in the UK and its absolutely crazy. Any longterm damage around your neck of the woods @zackmars ?

A few restaurants have closed permanently. Not much else. Of course a good number of people have also moved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×