Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Fruit Trees planted now I need recipes.

So the apple (honey crisp), cherry, and apricot tress are in, the cherry tree is a grafted variety (it grows 4 kinds of cherries). Now I need recipes. I know how to can a little bit but what else can you do. How long to jams and jellies keep?

18 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

So the apple (honey crisp), cherry, and apricot tress are in, the cherry tree is a grafted variety (it grows 4 kinds of cherries). Now I need recipes. I know how to can a little bit but what else can you do. How long to jams and jellies keep?

I haven't had any problems with my jams keeping for more than a year. They never get beyond that since I have jam monsters.

I have done pie fillings as well that have kept extremely well. Those I pressure can and limit the sugar. When I am ready to use them I simmer them for about 30 minutes and add what sugar I want to get the flavor/thickness I'm looking for.

The net is full of recipes for jams and such. Dried fruit is so good as well especially as a pocket snack where you might have once used candy. Make your own fruit leather for snacks as well should use up some of your bounty. Don't forget to gift the neighbors and family.

• Like 1

With our fruit and what we collect when foraging we make jam, compotes, wine, all the usual cheese cakes/pies/crumbles etc also we freeze them for winter use.

Like @crazyman our jams last for well over a year and I have just eaten some cherry jam that was made two years ago, still full of flavour! I am not a great believer in use before dates they should be called "lets make more money for big businesses" dates! The compotes are lovely for our cold winters we jar the fruit using brandy/rakia which again preserves the fruit for longer and when the temperatures are down to -25 a serving on your morning porridge/cereal/yoghurt gives you a warm glow before heading outside to start working! 

Lots of information out there for different recipes/methods it is trial and error to find what works for you. If starting to make jam I would suggest investing in a jam thermometer which we have found out after several years of jam making to be a lot more reliable than the cold plate/wrinkle test!

Good luck and happy experimenting!

• Like 1

20170906_092714.thumb.jpg.7e25d853c29875f2573f1264e90c4248.jpgI don't know much about canning or preserves but I like to bring a few cases of peaches and a case of cherries back from the Okanagan and this year I took the last 5 or 6 lbs of cherries and put them in jars with brown sugar and cinnamon and topped them up with white rum, (made me a big hero down at the club).   The big jar got a few peaches cut into wedges mixed in with the cherries too and they really soaked up the booze!  Yesterday while going through the fridge I found a half-pint of cherries I didn't know I had, and thought it might be worthwhile experimenting to see if they make a good garnish in Goldschlager schnapps, or maybe in a martini.

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

Made a few jars of pickles with the cucumbers I grew this summer...not bad but the cucumbers I grew had tough skins and lots of seeds. I'll be more careful as to what type of seeds I get for next year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rspreps said:

Made a few jars of pickles with the cucumbers I grew this summer...not bad but the cucumbers I grew had tough skins and lots of seeds. I'll be more careful as to what type of seeds I get for next year.

We normally find this happens when they are picked late, so they get fed to the chickens as they love them!

• Like 1