Survival Threads

I thought kimchi deserved it's own thread instead of riding on the baking soda one.  Made my 3rd batch at work yesterday and it seems to have gone well, my only issue is second-guessing amounts of paste ingredients to match the bulk of other stuff and adding more of one thing and another right until packing it.  I always seem to not have enough paste, (but I work it until everything is as evenly coated as possible) but when it starts working in the jar it tastes fine anyway - but I don't have that reddish tint I see in pictures and wonder about maybe adding some sriracha?  I wondered about adding chili-garlic sauce but the warning in the recipe that too much garlic can make it bitter decided me against it.  At present it ain't broke so I'm not fixing it.  I've been taking a little container of kimchi to work and eating it with a kimchi flavoured ramen noodle bowl at lunch, though the health benefits of that much kimchi are probably just enough to act as the antidote to the spice packets that come with the soup. :D

Going back and actually looking at the pics in the recipe, their chili flakes are more finely ground than mine, and I'm not adding any water or kelp powder, just nuoc mam, so that could explain the consistency difference in paste, why mine isn't as reddish, and why the brine doesn't rise to cover it all in the jar for a day or so. Again, not anxious about that.   Friday's batch used a lot of stuff, big cabbage, big daikon, about a pound of carrots and a pound of bok choy that was in the crisper so I doubled at least the paste ingredients, winging it to try to make something more paste-like, adding more sugar in the hope it may aid fermentation.  Next time, if I have the presence of mind I should put up one jar of kimchi with sriracha and one with chili-garlic added for comparison.  It seems like an odd kick but it's easy and fun and probably the healthiest thing I'm doing now.

• Like 1

Just started a fridge-cleaning batch with plain cabbage and radishes. We'll see how it goes :)

For the bigger red pepper product, check online or at a Korean grocer for 'gochugaru' . More of a small flake red pepper than a powder. :)

I'll have a look in the Asian market, but when I started this I bought a big container of chili flakes, so what I might try as well is crushing those up a little finer to match the consistency of gochugaru. 

Edited by Rick

As Wyzyrd said, the Koreans use a red pepper paste, commonly known as "Gochujang"- reasonably sure any asian supermarket would have it. 

That said, if your current system works for you, I wouldn't stress about the colour! ;) 

I started mauling some chili flakes and soon realised there was something different, went back and checked a pic of gochugaru (appropriate response is gesundheit) and it was obvious - they seem to somehow have winnowed the seeds out of it.  If correct this could mean that the increased density of the ingredient as it's measured and the trade off of heat from the seeds for flavour from the pod will change the character of the batch if there's 3 tbs going into a quart.  I couldn't find gochujang in a forum search so googled it; the instant cucumber kimchi salad with gochujang sounds like it might be good.  I didn't see gochugaru at the wholesale store so I'll stop in at the Asian market.  I can use a 340g jar of chili flakes in other stuff (I sometimes put it in carp bait as well as eating it).  Depends if I prefer the gochugaru.

Edit:  I found a pretty good match for gochugaru in the Asian store but I thought it was a bit pricey and want to check out a couple of other places.  I have to scale down batch size so I can try different things and not have quarts of kimchi taking up space while I'm only eating 4 or 5 oz a day. 

Gochugaru.jpg

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

I'll be going back to the Asian store, $12 for a lb seems reasonable after all since it costs more online and I haven't seen it anywhere else in town. They don't call it gochugaru but it looks like the stuff and one of the several name and price tags jammed into the shelf beneath it says kimchi chili. :D I'll corroborate that with the staff.   If I had access to a big Korean supermarket like Pat Supermarket in Ontario I might find it for a bit less or on a sale, but this is a LOT of spice for the money.  A product description on one website bears out my theory about the seeds.  They must split the pods and scoop the seeds out, then sun dry the peppers before crushing them:

"Hot, sweet, fragrant and brilliantly red, coarsely ground Korean chili is great for cooking, and a beautiful tasty garnish. Sprinkle it liberally on poultry, seafood and meats before grilling or pan-frying. Use it on finished noodle dishes, pizza, eggs, potato and pasta salads and so on. Keep it in a shaker on the table to brighten up the flavour and appearance of everyday foods like burgers, sandwiches and soups. Because it is seedless, it has a sweeter flavour and much nicer mouth feel than ordinary chili flakes."

I want to make some incorporating red cabbage and cucumber a little later today.   Wyzard, do you leave the peel on the cucumber?

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

Sounds great :)

I usually use "english" cukes or Kirby pickling cucumbers, so I leave the skins on, slice and salt heavily, then drain overnight in a strainer. For the cucumbers,  usually  use gochujang paste (fermented soybeans and chiles), when I have it.

I'm about 80 miles from my favorite Korean supermarket, but they have an entire aisle of different brands and sizes of bags of gochugaru, all the way from 1 ounce to 20 pounds. They also have kimchi refrigerators designed to hold about 10 crocks at the perfect slow fermentation temperature and a "salad bar" of about 30 different kimchi types .... I love that place....

The gochugaru, wasn't.  On close examination it had lots of seeds and was just more finely crushed (Chinese product), but they had the paste so I bought a big thing of that and will use crushed chilies and paste in combination.  The lady said they probably stock the right stuff but are just out of it.  My cabbage has been brining for 2 1/2 hrs and I didn't include the English cuke in there (hey, what do I know?), so what I'll do is salt it and throw it in with some of the cabbage for another half hour then rinse.  I have some wonderfull honey from some young people who only keep a few hives, mostly fed on wildflowers and some canola, so I used that instead of sugar.  The 2 little jars have cuke, the big one doesn't.

I'm marinating pork loin slices in a bit of that paste with some hoisin and lime juice , maybe use the little bbq once before bringing it in, so there's no reason not to try a little of the fresh stuff, I'll cook some rice...

20171015_133936.jpg

Edited by Rick

There were a bunch of wieners left over from a party event on the weekend so I've had kimchi hotdogs for lunch 3 days in a row (saving some time at work), but today I took a day off and made some fresh stuff so it was extra good.

20171018_155624.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/10/2017 at 11:07 PM, Rick said:

There were a bunch of wieners left over from a party event on the weekend so I've had kimchi hotdogs for lunch 3 days in a row (saving some time at work), but today I took a day off and made some fresh stuff so it was extra good.

20171018_155624.jpg

Rick...that stuff looks amazing. Been following your progress from the beginning and wow, as someone who lived in korea town for quite a few years- I am unbelievably impressed.

I really gotta get off my ass and make some myself. :(