Survival Threads
Kaye :)

SURVIVAL necklace

I enjoy making all sizes of EDC kits.  I mainly use Altoid tins of various sizes.  I used an Altoid Smalls tins for a necklace kit.  My thought was to just have fun making a mini kit that might be useful should I ever find myself stranded in the woods or who knows where.  Honestly, not sure that will ever happen, but I like the idea of being prepared.  The items inside the kit are:  water purification (tablets and bag), storm proof matches with striker, razor blade, couple of band aids, alcohol wipes, small whistle, a bit of medication, dental floss, and a bit of Gorilla tape. There may be something else in there, but I can't remember at the moment. :) I painted the little tin black.  I was going to decorate it to make it look like a BIG locket, but to finish it faster I went with using ranger bands to secure it to the necklace chain.  Underneath the ranger bands on the outside and backside of the necklace I inserted a small flashlight.  It may sound a bit nerdy or paranoid, but I had fun making it.  

I'm always open for survival ideas so if you have any in regards to mini survival kits I'd like to hear them.

Thanks always. :)

Cool setup :) 1 piece of uninvited advice, add something like 2 loops and a rubberband, something breakable. An acquaintance slipped coming out of a tree stand several years ago, and hooked his skinning knife on a paracord loop on a branch. Fortunately,  the branch broke before his neck did.

I got paranoid, and now use really  cheap bead chain, usually inside a piece of aquarium tubing, so my neck doesn't turn green. 

• Like 2

OK, so I set out on a mission to create one of these.  It's a work in progress, but it uses an Altoids Smalls for the container, 550 cord for the necklace*, and bicycle tubes to stick it all together.

Inside are a knife (a wee tiny knife), whistle, ferro rod, striker, and some dryer lint.  I'm waiting on a smaller whistle which may afford me some room for some first aid stuff.  This will continue to evolve.

This was more of a exercise in what I could do, not so much a serious piece of survival kit for me.  But time will tell.

* (I plan on doing a breakaway as suggested by Wyzyrd, in the future)

AMSK_1.jpg

AMSK_2.jpg

Edited by Brad
  • Upvote 1

Update - slightly smaller whistle came in the mail today. (Acme Tornado Slimline #636)  This allowed me to add 5 butterflies and 2 Benadryl tabs.  (I carry them for mild allergic reactions.)

Edited by Brad