Survival Threads
Thomas

SurvivalThreads, Community and its Unique Position

A couple of days ago @Chili Pepper posted the following comment on a thread;

On 16/11/2017 at 3:11 PM, Chili Pepper said:

Well I hope that it picks up some soon. 

Which led me to scribble this quick post to clarify why SurvivalThreads is different to the average forum.

The reality is that running a website costs money which forces the webmaster to make a compromise with regards to direction and the underlying principles behind the community.

If you look at the bulk of other forums, they are essentially commercial entities- whilst they all have their own community they do need to cater to specific advertisers and need to keep the traffic numbers up because traffic = money.

This limits the ability for the webmaster to offer a neutral platform- go on another forum and criticise a company that pays for ads on that board and see how long that post stays up!

This is not a criticism because I understand the tough position the forum owner is frequently in but ultimately- SurvivalThreads as a consequence of piggybacking on MTJS resources is immune to this kind of pressure.

We don't need to promote aggressively, in fact we don't promote it at all as I simply don't have the time and since the costs of running SurvivalThreads are covered by MTJS, I can create an enviroment where spam, toxic behaviour and divisive virtue signalling (I am better than you because X) can be stomped out pronto.

I give moderators like @zackmars @dthomasdigital & @Gary_Gough an extreme amount of power over the curation of the content because I don't have to worry about catering to advertisers or the growth of the community. The only directive they have to adhere to is laid out in the rules- At no point does survivalthreads have to quibble over "leeway" for paying members, advertisers or senior members because they don't exist.

There is a very famous knife forum where a senior member gets away with with bloody murder because of a high post count/popularity whilst a new member will be banned due to posting a contrarian opinion.
You only have to look at how Cliff Stamp has been treated on forums to understand why I chose to create a neutral entity like Survival Threads.

This creates a level of consistency regarding how rules are meted out which in turn makes having a forum a very stress free affair. 

In short-

The structure of survivalthreads and its existence being subsidized completely by MTJS means that it can afford to be more picky, it can ban all spam, all nonsense etc. without fear of losing traffic or advertisers because frankly, traffic is a secondary factor to the wellbeing of the community.

I hope this clarifies my position concerning Survival Threads, its ambitions and questionable growth! Please share your thoughts below, I am interested to read your positions on this!

• Upvote 2

Thanks @Thomas this is my favorite prepping/learning place on the intertubes, it's laid back friendly and the people here are just respectful. Rare thing to find these days. Sure it's a little slower than other places but it's worth it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To add my two pennies worth....... I like the fact that most posts on here always address a subject and are written in a thoughtful way with opposing views accepted and discussed unlike the the mass of conflicts that seem to happen on other forums. I do not post a lot but enjoy reading through the information here, I see no point in putting on a post when I  have no idea what I am talking about!!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Chili Pepper said:

I hope you didn't take that the wrong way Thomas, I was just commenting on a thread about the lack of activity. 

Didn't take it the wrong way at all, and it's certainly a valid point. We have little resemblance to most forums (especially taking into account we have been around for a couple of years now).