Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Fire Extinguishers - Do you have one in your home?

So I'm doing my quarterly check of all things emergency in my home, flashlights, spare batteries, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, radios, and very important the mighty fire extinguishers. I'm wondering do you all have one in your home? The break down for us is; 1 20lbs in the garage, 1 5lbs in the kitchen, 1 more 5lbs one in the mother-in-law suite, 1 2lbs one in each car so that's 2, and one 2lbs for the outdoor grill. So that's 6 all together. I need to replace the 1 20lbs as it's 5 years old. I always donate the old one's to the fire department so they can use them in training. 

We moved from a standard American house to a British Apartment (until next year/2019 when we move into a more rural location), seeing as we live on the top floor we 100% take fire safety seriously. 

Personally, I like fire blankets. Work for all sorts of fires and perfect for out of control stovetop accidents. 

• Upvote 1

100 days without any rain/snow in New Mexico so far at least in my part of New Mexico. Not looking forward to the spring winds and the fire season this year. A home fire system might be a good idea!

• Like 1

A decade ago we had some major fires. One of the neighbors on the lake was set up with generators and pumps. The fire fighters rigged garden hoses and lawn sprinklers through the spruce trees and over the cottages around him. The idea was to raise the humidity right there. 100 foot high flames burned right around them and took out one garage, but left 20 cottages and the trees. Pretty much everything else for a mile north and 5 miles south was gone. The gen sets were crucial as the power lines and bridges in were all burnt. Does show that if you can soak your buildings and trees down it doesn't actually take all that much.

Might look a bit odd having lawn sprinklers installed on the roof though. 

• Upvote 1

We get some pretty big fires out here in New Mexico, and as of today 96 days with no rain or snow, the Santa Fe ski area gets on average 206 inches of snow a season, this season 2 inches. When the spring winds come I'm thinking about just keeping the go bags in the car.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 10:27 PM, Gary_Gough said:

A decade ago we had some major fires. One of the neighbors on the lake was set up with generators and pumps. The fire fighters rigged garden hoses and lawn sprinklers through the spruce trees and over the cottages around him. The idea was to raise the humidity right there. 100 foot high flames burned right around them and took out one garage, but left 20 cottages and the trees. Pretty much everything else for a mile north and 5 miles south was gone. The gen sets were crucial as the power lines and bridges in were all burnt. Does show that if you can soak your buildings and trees down it doesn't actually take all that much.

Might look a bit odd having lawn sprinklers installed on the roof though. 

best way for a permanent roof soaking sprinkler system would be run the piping in the attic - drainable thru a ground based stand pipe that would also be the water supply from a pressure booster pump ... only the sprinkler heads would be visible from the outside ....  world best would be have water barrels catching the guttered water and have a looped re-cycling of the pumped water - just in case the municipal supplied water is unavailable ....

roof soaking system not only good for natural disasters such as a forest fire - but also intentional arson from domestic disturbances/riots ....

Edited by Illini Warrior
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1