Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Hammarlund SP-600 Short Wave Radio

I'm so nerded out, someone just gave me a working Hammarlund SP-600 Short Wave Radio these things are legend. I can't wait to get it hooked up and scanning the frequencies. Anyone out there have one of these bad boys. This one is for sure made around 1951 and is  US-Army signal corps issue. Once I get it up and running I'll let you know how that goes, I'll post pictures too once I clean it up a little.

• Like 1

Working! Nice. I'd expect it will have at least some caps changed out by now. I know a few purists that argue to reform electrolytics , I fall on the spend the $10 for a new set side of that one. Oh if you need a frequency counter for alignment work, I've got a few spare Fluke 7220a units, nice counter crippled by a poor time base, but have an external reference input ( 10 MHz ). Have the OCXO option on my bench unit.

• Upvote 1

@Gary_Gough oh man are you on the hook now to help me as I restore this thing, it does need some work and your're right it looks like it has some "newer" capacitors. I also got a working and in very nice condition HP 415e SRW meter. A very generous Santa indeed.

One thing I use lots of on older electronics is a variety of contact cleaner ( Brand name Nu-Trol ) that leaves a thin oil behind.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Nutrol-Control-Cleaner/dp/B008UH3L1K

The stuff used to mention being tested by Shallcross ( which probably means nothing to anyone born after the 1960s ) think Minuteman missiles. What I like is it gets better with time and wear, at least for a few years. Can use it like electronic bug spray, into pots, onto shaft bushings and wear points on open plate variable caps, switch contacts,  into tube sockets and cable connectors, basically any place you are depending on a mechanical junction making a good electrical connection.

There is a school of thought, mostly with audiophiles, that anything that leaves a deposit is bad, but all the "deposit free" contact cleaners I've used seem to go noisy again after a few weeks. 

Anyhow you can use it with the full knowledge that it is contemporary with the equipment you are working on, even if it's still an off the shelf item.