Survival Threads
Wyzyrd

Pastrami, a bit of a rant...

I got into a bit of an argument today with 3 fellow chefs, the gist of which was "pastrami is too hard to make". BS.

For any folks into smoked meats, no, it isn't.  Perhaps not 100% accurate,  but your guests will still love it.

Start with a commercial corned beef brisket (yes, I know it should be a navel cut, but I don't have cattle.)

Rub with minced garlic, add a couple handfuls of pickling spice, cover with a darkish  lager beer ( I like Yuengling ), and marinate in fridge for a week.

After a week, dry it and rub heavily with 1/2 coarse black pepper,  1/2 ground coriander seed. That’s  it.

Smoke at about 200 degrees F. For about 5 hours over a pan of the same beer , water and garlic and sliced onion.. I like apple wood. Keep the steam  pan full.

When the smoke dies down, steam for another hour. Meat should be overcooked,  about 200 F.

Remove meat , chill, wrap and refrigerate overnight. Reduce the steaming liquid to a thick glaze.

Next day, slice thin, sear in a cast iron pan, brush with the reduced liquid, serve on rye bread with fresh (homemade is best) sauerkraut and have the best damn sandwich you ever ate.

• Upvote 2

MMMMMM! Pastrami......... One of my true weaknesses. Gotta have it at least once a week.
I like Baby Swiss on mine with a hint of Deli Style Honey Mustard.
Pictured with home made chips and homemade ketchup as a chip dip. Boy is that tasty.
Of course a Kosher Dill Pickle on the side.

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5819.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That looks crazy @PappyHiker , mouth watering now. :o

On 27/01/2018 at 12:45 AM, Wyzyrd said:

I got into a bit of an argument today with 3 fellow chefs, the gist of which was "pastrami is too hard to make". BS.

For any folks into smoked meats, no, it isn't.  Perhaps not 100% accurate,  but your guests will still love it.

Start with a commercial corned beef brisket (yes, I know it should be a navel cut, but I don't have cattle.)

Rub with minced garlic, add a couple handfuls of pickling spice, cover with a darkish  lager beer ( I like Yuengling ), and marinate in fridge for a week.

After a week, dry it and rub heavily with 1/2 coarse black pepper,  1/2 ground coriander seed. That’s  it.

Smoke at about 200 degrees F. For about 5 hours over a pan of the same beer , water and garlic and sliced onion.. I like apple wood. Keep the steam  pan full.

When the smoke dies down, steam for another hour. Meat should be overcooked,  about 200 F.

Remove meat , chill, wrap and refrigerate overnight. Reduce the steaming liquid to a thick glaze.

Next day, slice thin, sear in a cast iron pan, brush with the reduced liquid, serve on rye bread with fresh (homemade is best) sauerkraut and have the best damn sandwich you ever ate.

Ok so we are gonna need some more information- how do you smoke without a smoker? :o 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Thomas said:

That looks crazy @PappyHiker , mouth watering now. :o

Ok so we are gonna need some more information- how do you smoke without a smoker? :o 

There are a couple possibilities. 

A very good one, if you have an outside grill with a cover, is a strange little product Called "A-Maze-N smoker", basically a stainless steel mesh boxwith a serpentine n-shaped inner wall. When filled with hardwood pellets and lit at one end with a torch, it can generate smoke for up to 14 hours. The grill provides the heat. About $30 us, last time I looked.

Another alternative is here:

On 07/02/2018 at 7:27 PM, Wyzyrd said:

There are a couple possibilities. 

A very good one, if you have an outside grill with a cover, is a strange little product Called "A-Maze-N smoker", basically a stainless steel mesh boxwith a serpentine n-shaped inner wall. When filled with hardwood pellets and lit at one end with a torch, it can generate smoke for up to 14 hours. The grill provides the heat. About $30 us, last time I looked.

Another alternative is here:

Is this kinda thing safe to use indoors/with limited ventilation?