Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

check those preps.

Was goofing around today and on a whim just click the button on the flashlight on my go bag, even though I just checked them last month sure enough the light didn't come on. Opened it up and one of the batteries had started to leak. Good thing I got a hand crank flashlight in every bag, but still it surprised me.

Imho, worst offenders are the little pushbutton key fob led flashlights. I have given up on them. No matter how often you test, the day you need it will be right after a key or coin or gremlin pressed the button and depleted the tiny battery.

I've had pretty good luck with these on my keychains https://www.amazon.ca/GranVela-UltraTac-Flashlight-Waterproof-Torch-Blue/dp/B01BS8OCBA  not cheap at $32. CAD , but use a 10440 Li-Ion by design and have a "lock" function ( two fast clicks and it flashes once and then will not turn on until given two more fast clicks ) . And yes I carry a duplicate set of keys so own two.

Just tested some ( about 20 ) 18650 cells that I charged two years ago, all fully charged. So far I haven't had any bagged flashlights fail no matter how long they have sat. I have had one AAA sized light out of ten fail but my own fault, they are rated for 3 volts and I'm pushing 4. Not changing my habits though, I just replaced the LED with a better rated one ( about $0.05 ) and have it clipped to my shirt right now. 

The larger "D" alkaline cells seem to hold up well ( have those in the scintillometers and a few refurbed old flashlights ) but I have lost count of how many AA and AAA alkaline cells I've had leak. Often in something ( Fenix lights, radios, notebook stylus ) even when quite new. I try to keep those batteries separately bagged and just install when needed.

Bit of trivia, if you have old flashlights that you'd like to make useful again. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-P13-5S-PR2-0-5W-LED-For-Focus-Flashlight-Replacement-Bulb-Torches-Work-Light-Lamp/32818434538.html  These are brighter then the original bulbs , draw 1/3 as much power, have a rated life of 50,000 hours use and are only about twice the price of an incandescent bulb.

One other trick for lights in storage, a strip of blister pack plastic between the + and contact on the battery. So can't get turned on by accident but can hold a charged battery.

• Upvote 1

I switched to IMR Li-ion batteries for all my preps for that exact reason, the amount of AA Alkalines that leaked on me over the years is crazy.