Survival Threads
Wyzyrd

DAK canned ham disappointment

A while back, less than a year, I picked up some DAK brand canned hams on sale. I remembered these from 40 years ago, and they were pretty good quality. 

No more... the new ones are basically SPAM. Not totally inedible,  or anything, but not ham, or what you remember.

Be warned.

• Upvote 1

I used to like Spork and Spam when I was a kid but not now, probably had too much.  Corned beef is another matter, not cold out of the can but corned beef hash.  I'll still keep a can of Klik or Spam or whatever for iron rations, and fried with eggs and hash browns it doesn't look bad, but it looks a lot better than it tastes.  With a handfull of ingredients a can of corned beef can get pretty good.

hashingredients.jpg

Lol, this was not meant as an indictment of Spam . It has its uses, and if I talk bad about it, I'll never get to visit Hawaii :)

A long time ago, when I was a boy scout, and later a college student,  this brand was a solid chunk of "city" cured cooked  ham. It's just no longer what you may remember. 

16 hours ago, Wyzyrd said:

Lol, this was not meant as an indictment of Spam . It has its uses, and if I talk bad about it, I'll never get to visit Hawaii :)

A long time ago, when I was a boy scout, and later a college student,  this brand was a solid chunk of "city" cured cooked  ham. It's just no longer what you may remember. 

While I don't know DAK, the same seems true for other brands as well.  I remember when you could at least slice canned ham, but now it just flakes.  Is it possible they cook them more now than back then?  The last one I bought was last summer and I was disappointed in it.

One of the tastiest things (in my opinion) is fried spam + eggs on ramen with some chopped up chives. Never heard of Dak spam though- what was the difference between that and spam?

The difference is the ingredients, canned ham doesn't usually include the assortment of mechanically separated curly tails and chicken lips that most luncheon meats have.

From Cooks Info: All canned ham is boneless. It can be a whole piece of ham or more usually, pieces pressed together to form a "solid" whole piece. The larger a tin of ham is, the more likely it is to have been one piece of meat. To make them, dry gelatin (about 1/4 oz) is added to a can before the ham is sealed into it.