Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Cold weather vegetables

Well planted the spinach and broccoli and I told myself might be a bit early and sure enough a couple of late winter storms (at least late winter for us in the high desert) blew through and I'm pretty sure the broccoli is not going to make it, but I think the spinach will. The Apricot tree has some big buds and I hope it's not blooming to early.  First year for the Cherry tree too, it's going to be a year of trial and error. How's your early season gardens doing?

Still plotting it out. Really muddy, and we've got more rain coming. Did move some chicken manure around, so that stuff is ready to go.

Not doing much this year, maybe a few jalapenos and a tomato plant or two

• Like 1

Still got snow covered ground here. 

Will be starting seeds this week. 

Sort of have things planned out. Although I keep changing my mind on veggies as I have recently become addicted to pressure canning. 

Also will be starting my 5 gallon pail potatoes. 

• Like 1

I started "Winter Sowing" this year. I used gallon milk jugs, cut them so there is a hinged top. Take of the lid, tape them up with duck tape. I've started in the middle of January. It froze, snowed, of course warmer in the daytime, but I've have pretty good success with kale, brocolli, lettuce, peas, and several herbs. I started my beans the end of Feb and they are coming up great. It does work, regardless of snow, ice or rain. The seeds sprout when it's warm enough.

• Upvote 1