Survival Threads
homesteadorgus

Have you done homesteading? What is it like?

I’ve done parts of what is involved. It is incredibly hard work with years of endless hours of physical labor - building shelter, clearing land, growing food. It is, IMHO, best done by a group, not just an individual or single family.

• Like 1

I have a sad little orchard, but we have lots of big gardens throughout the neighborhood so I provide apples, cherries, apricots. They provide me with corn, tomatoes, peppers, and other goodies. It works out pretty good, but nothing like a real Homestead however. 

My worry with homesteading is the risk of injury- I feel if I am taking out of commission, what will happen to my family and homestead in general?

I think being in a group does mitigate the risk somewhat but then the question of where to find like minded people, sharing responsibilities fairly etc. etc.

I think my ideal is having a low maintenance off grid property (thinking orchards and other "self-sustaining" food sources) and a clean natural water source whilst in the meantime working on my own preps, financial independence etc.

Maybe I am looking at all of this the wrong way but thats my general feeling on homesteading.