Survival Threads
Fishwalker

All-terrain cart for hauling gear

I have lot’s of preparedness items, but one thing I don’t have is a good way to manually move heavy items efficiently, especially over long distances if necessary. In my search I found a few options that could work, but required lots of time to make or were very expensive. Then I discovered a company called Polymule that has set up an Indiegogo campaign for an extremely durable hand cart. It is a stupid simple cart that’s built to last. 

I’ve backed the campaign myself and would love to see this go into production. Here’s the link to the Indiegogo campaign:

https://igg.me/at/polymule/x/14396232

I am also interested to see if you have gear carts that you've created and/or experimented with.

—————

em3yd7ojligrnu8zsivn.png

Here are a few details about the cart:

High capacity: will haul 400 lbs. of gear easily. 

Uphill Assist: The cart has a hub system that can be engaged that locks the wheels from rolling backward when hiking uphill. 

Integrated kickstand: the pull handle pivots down to the ground to level out the cart for loading. 

All-terrain: 28 inch no-flat tires with 20 inches of clearance.

Portable: 2 minute assembly and it can quickly fold up and stow for transport and can be used as a vehicle cargo carrier on a vehicle roof rack.

Reinforced polymer: UV stable and high-impact resistant even in sub-freezing temps. Similar polymers are used in military-grade applications.

No maintenance: it has sealed bearings, and you’ll never get flat tires or need to replace bolts or screws. 

All-weather cover: made of durable rip-stop fabric with oversized zipper and nylon straps.

Rear handle: there’s an additional handle that can be added to the back allowing a second person to help transport extra heavy loads over rough terrain.

5 year warranty

As a follow up to this post... have you guys found a manual method for hauling gear (e.g. cart) that you've found particularly helpful? Does it carry enough weight, surface area dispersion on the wheels, etc.?

I've seen that, it's pretty neat.

For me at least, the distances involved in bugging out are pretty long, if the vehicles give out, or can't be used, I'm stripping down as much as possible to clear room and weight, and adding water. Even then, I wouldn't be dropping much gear.

I could see its use if you don't have any supplies at your BOL, but if you do, this seems like it would slow you down, with no benefit, assuming you can reach your location with only what you've got on your back

Up here for now a toboggan ( or dog sled ) is the best way to move loads. Have used a box with bike wheels attached to a frame but it was made more for garden material and fire wood ( low centre of gravity ) and really only applies to the tough sledding seasons.

Slight aside but food for thought. Paper delivery kids where I used to live had modified wagons with a large dog in harness, the dog pulled the mass of papers along as the kids grabbed them and delivered. I also saw them racing , riding in the wagons. The dogs appeared to enjoy the process too.

I can see the pros/cons of a variety of systems. This is much better suited for short distances and general around a BOL hauling. But, in a pinch it would be better than nothing if you had 3-4 you could haul almost 1600 lbs of gear. That's a lot of basic survival gear.

The roof rack option and cover add to its overall usefulness. I guess it largely depends on where you’re starting from and where/how far you are going. Seeing pictures of people displaced by war/weather etc...carrying everything they can to a better/safe place...this would be worth it.