Survival Threads
Sign in to follow this  
dthomasdigital

Rabbits Suck!

So I've got lots of new plants ornamental and functional and the rabbits love them all. I've got fences and traps but I'm still having and issue. Squirrels and Kangaroo rats are and issue too, but the rabbits are the real bad guys. I figure there are some smart gardeners on the threads, any one have any sage advice? 

My sympathies... get a gallon of the cheapest veggie oil you can find, and a couple pounds of the hottest, nastiest,  most evil dried chile peppers you can find. Heat the oil, not terribly hot, and steep the peppers (outside) for a few hours. Cool and strain and put in spray bottles . Wear gloves,a mask and eye protection to spray all around the plants. Deer and rabbits will avoid. Good luck and be careful , also works as Mace.

• Like 1

Just in case you are not used to dealing with very hot capsicums like Habaneros,  Thai birds, or Asian dried varieties, "double bag" your gloves, especially if you use nitrile , and wash hands with soap BEFORE going to the bathroom. Spice burns are no fun at all.

The capsaicin that burns is oil based so water only spreads it around. Olive oil is probably the best remedy if your skin gets irritated, even if you touch your eye. Being extra careful is even better :)

• Like 1

We roast a bunch of Chile's peppers here in New Mexico, I'll wear my Chile Roasting outfit which includes a face mask and goggles. That stuff gets in your eyes and game over.

Just a aside, you can do something similar using water vs. Oil to make the spray, but it won't extract as much capsaicin and you'll have to reapply more often, like every day. The oil sticks better, so will last a week or so  or until a heavy rain.

Hopefully, your local rabbits aren't Thai food fans :)