Survival Threads
Brad

Glasses wearers, how many pair do you have and where are they?

Lifelong contact lens wearer (adult life) who recently realised that I don't have enough emergency glasses.  I have two pair, but none in my BOB and no spares in my car.  That changes today as I just moved my 2nd pair to my BOB and will be getting a new pair this week for my car.  I'm afraid of going overboard, but afraid of not going overboard.  So - glasses wearers, how many pairs do you have and where do you keep them?

<edit>FYI - I am about 20/150 without correction.  I need glasses or contacts to function.  I can read without them just fine, but can't see far.</edit>

Edited by Brad
  • Like 2

Two pair, one set for driving, one for moderately close ( computer screens etc. ) and I just take them off for fine work ( around 9 inches ). I also pack spare soft contacts and reading glasses to use with. So my two or three sets of contacts I'm packing are sort of the emergency backups.

• Like 1

I don't wear glasses. My eyes are sharp as an eagle for long distances. However, anything within an arms length requires the use of bifocals for me. The closer an object the worse it becomes. So I always have a pair on me. In my house there's at least a pair in every room. I keep a pair in my rucksack, range bag, my vehicles, my work bag, etc. I literally have a ton of bifocals scattered about. I don't consider it overkill, I've lost them before. Don't want to find myself scrambling around looking for glasses.

• Like 1

I have 4 pair, one in my EDC bag, one in my BOB bag, one in my medical bag, and just a spare. I also have that many contact lenses in the same locations with spare cleaning fluid.

This topic is hitting me hard as 3 week s ago my wife developed myopic degeneration almost it seems over night, we new with her high myopic diagnosis this would be a risk but now we have to think about what we will do, anyone out there know what options we may have. I have heard of low vision optical devices but I have no experience. Scary as she is really having a hard time seeing. 

Sorry to hear, @dthomasdigital.

In a former life, we provided voice services for vision-impaired folks. Probably the best resource for information is the National Federation of the Blind, at nfb.org . Great, helpful people and a great list of possible resources. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear that @dthomasdigital, has to be a frightening prospect.

Not sure how much of this will work without a cell network but.. https://searchengineland.com/google-translate-picture-to-ocr-to-speech-130086

Google translate seems happy to do English to English , and doesn't even make too many mistakes that way. OCR is tricky but works well on clear typed text generally.  The voice will be some generic robot.

Aside from that, a cell phone can act as a magnifier by selecting the camera app, and holding its camera over what you want to enlarge. Can also get clip on telephoto adapters for cell phones , and maybe get some help with signs and surroundings.

Might want to look at an android notepad for a larger screen ( with camera and either a wifi connection via a cell phone or it's own WWAN connection to the cell net ).

If going the voice output route, I can recommend P311 Bluetooth headsets. https://www.amazon.ca/ARCTIC-Bluetooth-Headphones-Android-Windows/dp/B00C7JIBN0

Excellent sound quality, good noise suppression on the built in microphone and can also do high fidelity stereo playback. I get about 8 hours on a charge with mine. Also quite comfortable. 

• Upvote 1

4 pairs, 2 sunglasses and 2 regular glasses. 1 pair of sunglasses is in my go bag, the other pair is in a closet along with my spare "regular" glasses.

The final pair is usually on my face. ;)

• Like 1

For those following along at home.... The answer (for me) is 4.  I just purchased new bifocals for my everyday when I'm not wearing contacts pair and some mail order glasses for my 4th pair.  This brings me to:

• Ray Ban Bifocals - main pair
  • Ray Ban Single Vision - spares in the car
  • Progressive Bifocals* - BOB
  • Mail Order Single Vision - EDC Pouch/Bag**

* Least favorite pair, but serviceable
** Also some tiny readers in case I have my contacts in.

I'm still primarily a contact wearer, but practicality says glasses are the way to go if I'm looking long term.  Mail order single visions were around $40 and have already paid for themselves with my peace of mind.

Edited by Brad
  • Like 1

I do need to go for a new eye exam.and new eye glasses.on account i now have double vision in left eye now.but i do have a few pair of reading glasses from dollar tree.

• Like 1