Survival Threads
Thomas

When is it time to relocate?

Out of curiosity, what would it take for you and your family to relocate states/countries preemptively? I am not talking about a disaster but rather something more benign like a profound social shift or a rise in financial insecurity within your general area.

Very curious to hear what @dthomasdigital , @zackmars & @Gary_Gough think about this. Its something Elise and I have been thinking about recently.

• Like 1

Well, what I'd want to head toward is friends, mutual support and basic resources. Probably with a very full truck. But that would also mean establishing new networks. I'll need to give this a bit of thought. Over the years I haven't found many places I really couldn't live if allowed to ( expiring Visas, tourist cards etc. would place me in conflict with the authorities in many areas )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Y'all lived in Canada for awhile, correct? If so, do you still know any friends and family over there? If thats the case, I'd move there.

As for what it would take to get me to move...

Dramatic rise in crime (violent crime in particular), extreme inflation, extreme taxes, less and less job opportunities. The standard stuff. It's also real nice to be able to own and do things without having to deal with the gov't treating me worse than actual criminals.

Edited by zackmars
Added
  • Like 1

What a good question. Economic collapse is always a worry, maybe not in America as much as other places but I don't want to kid myself it could happen. We live in an almost cash free society now and I never did think it was a good idea to but all your eggs in one basket. So where would you go if the economy took a dump I'm not sure and it's something I've talked about but never really planned for. In the mean time I diversify, I keep cash on hand, and have plenty of items stocked to barter with, but lets face it, that will only go so far before if things get real bad the violence starts. I keep our passports up to date, just in case.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Gary_Gough said:

Well, what I'd want to head toward is friends, mutual support and basic resources. Probably with a very full truck. But that would also mean establishing new networks. I'll need to give this a bit of thought. Over the years I haven't found many places I really couldn't live if allowed to ( expiring Visas, tourist cards etc. would place me in conflict with the authorities in many areas )

As an EU citizen, I can thankfully have my choice of countries within the EU as well as Canada due to being married to a Canuck. Definitely see your point about moving towards friends but honestly, most of my connections are forged online. ;)

16 hours ago, zackmars said:

Y'all lived in Canada for awhile, correct? If so, do you still know any friends and family over there? If thats the case, I'd move there.

As for what it would take to get me to move...

Dramatic rise in crime (violent crime in particular), extreme inflation, extreme taxes, less and less job opportunities. The standard stuff. It's also real nice to be able to own and do things without having to deal with the gov't treating me worse than actual criminals.

Yup, 6-7 years in Toronto. Been in the UK since May 2016 and I imagine we won't be here come this time next year (i'll make a proper posts on MTJS once the plans are in motion).

I find myself in agreement over your list. Elise and I are young enough that we feel "now" is the time to relocate and find our happy as opposed to staying and watching a questionable situation get progressively worse.

10 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

What a good question. Economic collapse is always a worry, maybe not in America as much as other places but I don't want to kid myself it could happen. We live in an almost cash free society now and I never did think it was a good idea to but all your eggs in one basket. So where would you go if the economy took a dump I'm not sure and it's something I've talked about but never really planned for. In the mean time I diversify, I keep cash on hand, and have plenty of items stocked to barter with, but lets face it, that will only go so far before if things get real bad the violence starts. I keep our passports up to date, just in case.

Aye, Elise and I are very close to our next step and it won't be in an apartment. ;) 

We are becoming more and more disillusioned with our current enviroment and the idea of hunkering down in a proper house is looking more and more like the logical next step. 

My worry is being too late- i see signs and feel the pressure to preemptively deal with my enviroment instead of sticking around until its too late.

• Upvote 1

Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents on the subject..................
Been in the area I live in for my entire life.......... Everything I know and love is here. Pondered the question you ask. Don't think there's anything powerful enough to make me want to leave other than the area becoming inhabitable. Social/political/economical change????? Been living thru these changes my whole life.......... I've tolerated and survived all of lifes changes without having to resort to relocating to a place that will also change in time. I'm a survivor. I'll always find a way to do it. And the grass isn't always greener on the other side anyway.  When one becomes discontent with life where they are a common illusion is that it's better elsewhere. It seldom is. Once you're away for a while you'll find that everything is pretty much the same. Well, unless you live in a war torn country, or a country where poverty is the norm.
Perhaps if my little town became a haven for violence that could drive me away. But we live in an increasingly violent world these days anyway. Thinking no matter where you go violence can be found..........
I'm not young anymore, only a few years away from retirement. I figure when you reach my age you're pretty much where you are for the duration. Makes me want to say that moving is for young people. Those who are younger have longer time to adapt to change versus an older guy like me set in his ways. It's not easy starting over. But Thomas, you have Elise and that's important. With all the changes one has to go thru in starting over it's nice to have that one constant, ones life mate. I can honestly say that after 37 years of marriage I find strength in my wife, my one constant in an ever evolving world. No matter what happens I have her. Most definitely if I ever had to leave where I'm at, having her at my side would make anything possible.
Okay....... I'm done. Just my personal feelings. Not all may agree........................

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 12:22 AM, PappyHiker said:

Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents on the subject..................
Been in the area I live in for my entire life.......... Everything I know and love is here. Pondered the question you ask. Don't think there's anything powerful enough to make me want to leave other than the area becoming inhabitable. Social/political/economical change????? Been living thru these changes my whole life.......... I've tolerated and survived all of lifes changes without having to resort to relocating to a place that will also change in time. I'm a survivor. I'll always find a way to do it. And the grass isn't always greener on the other side anyway.  When one becomes discontent with life where they are a common illusion is that it's better elsewhere. It seldom is. Once you're away for a while you'll find that everything is pretty much the same. Well, unless you live in a war torn country, or a country where poverty is the norm.
Perhaps if my little town became a haven for violence that could drive me away. But we live in an increasingly violent world these days anyway. Thinking no matter where you go violence can be found..........
I'm not young anymore, only a few years away from retirement. I figure when you reach my age you're pretty much where you are for the duration. Makes me want to say that moving is for young people. Those who are younger have longer time to adapt to change versus an older guy like me set in his ways. It's not easy starting over. But Thomas, you have Elise and that's important. With all the changes one has to go thru in starting over it's nice to have that one constant, ones life mate. I can honestly say that after 37 years of marriage I find strength in my wife, my one constant in an ever evolving world. No matter what happens I have her. Most definitely if I ever had to leave where I'm at, having her at my side would make anything possible.
Okay....... I'm done. Just my personal feelings. Not all may agree........................

Beautifully put @PappyHiker , I 100% agree that with @Elise with me,  I can handle almost any change. I imagine once I reach retirement age that I will be in a situation where I am happy where I am (hopefully). Because Elise and I work online, we have a more flexible mindset to location compared to how it would have been in the past.

Our current issue is the cultural shift and changes happening in our current enviroment and wanting to be somewhere more like "us". 

Lots to think about. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Our current issue is the cultural shift and changes happening in our current enviroment and wanting to be somewhere more like "us". 

So interested in what this may be about. But I guess if it were any of our business you'd have told us.
In any event. good luck in finding your new place.

• Like 1

We found the problem was not when to relocate as the change in situation and circumstances steers you to this decision and it is then easy to make, for me it was an accumulation of small things not one major factor that made the decision easy and you also get a gut feeling that the time has come to move on (not sure if that makes sense?). The problem is once you decide to move you can then encounter other issues outside of your control, e.g. at one point we moved to Turkey, but overtime it became clear it was being steered away from being a secular state towards becoming an Islamic one and having lived in one for many years I was not willing to do so again so it was pack your bags and move time again, then we forged a pretty good life for ourselves in Bulgaria, not an easy one as we have to work hard to be as self sufficient as possible then Brexit comes along and we will be having to move again as we do not have the finances to meet the proposed criteria that would allow us to stay here so we will be packing our bags and moving again, so even looking and planning for all eventualities be warned wherever you end up the old curveball can and probably will be thrown at you to mess up your best laid plans.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

PS The above is not meant to offend anyone, just a personal view from my own experiences.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 8:04 PM, adjee said:

We found the problem was not when to relocate as the change in situation and circumstances steers you to this decision and it is then easy to make, for me it was an accumulation of small things not one major factor that made the decision easy and you also get a gut feeling that the time has come to move on (not sure if that makes sense?). The problem is once you decide to move you can then encounter other issues outside of your control, e.g. at one point we moved to Turkey, but overtime it became clear it was being steered away from being a secular state towards becoming an Islamic one and having lived in one for many years I was not willing to do so again so it was pack your bags and move time again, then we forged a pretty good life for ourselves in Bulgaria, not an easy one as we have to work hard to be as self sufficient as possible then Brexit comes along and we will be having to move again as we do not have the finances to meet the proposed criteria that would allow us to stay here so we will be packing our bags and moving again, so even looking and planning for all eventualities be warned wherever you end up the old curveball can and probably will be thrown at you to mess up your best laid plans.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

PS The above is not meant to offend anyone, just a personal view from my own experiences.

Why would you have to move if you are already in Bulgaria? Applying for permanent residency should be easy enough no? I presume you entered as an EU citizen in which case, even after brexit you would have the same rights (in Bulgaria) as before. 

You are right that you will need to look at countries you can legally reside in , once you have that list , you need to look at a lot of different aspects to get a idea as to the best fit for you then actually go there for a short holiday & check it out .

You will look at , cost of living , jobs available , stability , crime rates , laws , gun laws , etc  ,

FerFAL wrote  , the Modern survival manual   book , and its a good start , then also get his 2nd book , Relocation  , has a ton of info in it .

Yours  Chris

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dthomasdigital said:

I'd like to relocate to my own little island, fat chance but oh would it be nice.

Would it have an active volcano? Nice to have a place toss politicians to appease the volcano gods. The geothermal power plant could be handy too :P

• Like 1