Survival Threads
Sign in to follow this  
PappyHiker

Hunting 2018

With hunting season rapidly approaching us, what are you doing to prepare?

I got out this morning to check the lands surrounding my hunt shack right in the middle of Deer and Turkey Central. Beautiful. Crops up everywhere insuring a well fed population. Shack in great shape. Swept it and got all the cobwebs out. Ready to go. Can hardly wait.
Yes, I know. It's kind of a give me unlike a survival situation where you need to stalk game or wait it out in some unknown place.  But hey, at least I'll get the shooting practice, both archery and rifle/shotgun. And stock my freezer/fridge with freah game.

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4405 (2).JPG

Edited by PappyHiker
added text
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wyzyrd said:

Just still looking for a spot to hunt this fall :(

You don't have a particular place you return to every year???? Do you have any places in mind? Have you scouted them yet?

Edited by PappyHiker

2 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

Back home in Oklahoma, loved to duck and turkey hunt (sometimes right off the back porch). Now I'm in New Mexico and Elk is the big thing here.

YES! Elk.

Here in Pa. the Elk population is so low that you have to win a lottery to get an Elk tag. Only around 100 people are selected each year. They're trying to manage the herd in a way that it grows each year so that in the future more may be able to hunt in this state. That most likely won't happen in my lifetime here. 

The only way I get to hunt Elk is to go out of state, way out of state. Even then opportunities are limited. Just wish those who came before us where more thoughtful about conservation and held to higher standards.

Right now at least I can pretend to hunt Elk.

IMG_4163.JPG

9 minutes ago, dthomasdigital said:

@PappyHiker You would love us out here Elk everywhere, antelope, and big horn sheep too. Well up in Northern New Mexico that is.

What mountains would an out of stater have to climb to get a license and tag?

• Like 1

@PappyHiker So I had to go take a look for out of state licenses for New Mexico oh dear lord I sure hope you didn't want to go Ibex hunting here. On top of the game hunting licenses (only $65.00 out of state) the Ibex and Oryx will run you $1610.00 ouch, resident is only $153.00. Out of state Elk for a quality Mature Bull is $782.00. However Barbary Sheep, Javelina, Cougar, Bear run around $250.00 out of state. Turkey is $100.00. We got Big Horn sheep to but I'm pretty sure those are on special hunts only.

Edited by dthomasdigital

6 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

@PappyHiker So I had to go take a look for out of state licenses for New Mexico oh dear lord I sure hope you didn't want to go Ibex hunting here. On top of the game hunting licenses (only $65.00 out of state) the Ibex and Oryx will run you $1610.00 ouch, resident is only $153.00. Out of state Elk for a quality Mature Bull is $782.00. However Barbary Sheep, Javelina, Cougar, Bear run around $250.00 out of state. Turkey is $100.00. We got Big Horn sheep to but I'm pretty sure those are on special hunts only.

Figured that much. 10 years ago Wyoming cost me a fortune. 15 years ago Idaho cost me a fortune too. Haven't looked into other states since.