Survival Threads
Sign in to follow this  
Brad

BOB -oddball items

We all have knives, fire starters, etc., but what is your unexpected item(s) in your BOB?

I have two - nail clippers and mouse traps

• nail clippers - yea, I could do it with a knife or emery board, but it's low cost for the payoff
  • mouse traps - not only to keep out critters, but to provide bait for other things

These are my two - do you have others?

I don't know if I would consider nail clippers as an oddball item. Its more like an essential for personal hygiene in ones kit. However I pondered the question a bit while thinking whats in my bag. The only thing I can think of are the 4 clothes pins ( the spring activated ones ) I keep in my bag. I'm sure there are others that may carry them too, so maybe they're not oddball items. But being able to hang wet clothes when away is nice, and since most preppers carry an amount of paracord with them anyway it works even better. And I have used them already.
I also have a mascara brush kit. No I don't dress in drag. But I seen the kit on a clearance table in a pharmacy one day and figured it could come in handy for something. Stuck it in my bag and have used a couple of the brushes on several occasions for detailed cleaning of some gear.
I also carry a couple of Kotex Maxi Pads in a freezer bag. Again. not sure if you'd consider oddball items, there are others who may also carry a couple. However, they are an essential part of my trauma kit for stopping blood flow in an injury. Quick and easy to get to and apply as well as sterile too.

Laughing, because I have most of those items :)

nail clippers are great for trimming monofilament fishing line, too.  Wooden spring clothespins have a million uses, not the least being dry kindling in a wet weather emergency situation. 

I guess my 2 oddballs  would be a 4-in-hand farrier's rasp for cleaning up surfaces on hillbilly hacks in wood, plastics and soft metals, and a marlinspike made out of a  paracord wrapped dulled-point aluminum shrimp deveiner I got for 3 bucks. Absolutely invaluable when dealing with any sort of cordage project.

binder clips - you know the spring loaded deally for holding a wad of paper together - clip a few to the edge of your pack - keep a couple clipped to the inside pocket of your coat >>>> besides closing a folded over bag securely - with a piece of plastic you have a quiky improvised shelter ....