Survival Threads
Vishal_saucy

Prepping/surviving for a new nuclear attack

I was browsing an open directory and came across this pdf file created by the Canada Emergency Measures Organisation (Department of national defense), I read through it and the information on the pdf file is quite useful. It talks about the effects of a nuclear bomb, first aid etc.

You can either view the guide through the website below or through the pdf version 

http://www.ki4u.com/webpal/d_resources/survival/books/11steps/index.htm

11_steps_-_Nuclear_Survival.pdf

Edited by Vishal_saucy
  • Like 2

I live about halfway between Sandia National labs and Los Alamos National labs, both have plenty of experimental reactors and god knows what else. Lets just say my shelter in place kit has plenty of radiation preps.

• Upvote 1

most of the preps for a nuke/rad SHTF have double duty usages >>>> many going toward a pandemic situation ...

unless you're a confirmed 72 Hour FEMA prepper - might as well read up on prepping for a possible radiation/fallout protection event and bite the bullet ...

if your literature cache is shy on the subject the prepper world has a guru that has compiled it ALL >>>>  https://www.survivalring.org/

• Upvote 1

I am just curious, if actually a nuclear attack or a disaster takes place, will you have that much reaction time to get to your shelter ? Because as I have read that blast, sound wave and radiations just takes few seconds to reach with in a 5 miles radius. If you happen to be in that radius, I dont think you will even sense it before evaporating.

However, if it was in a near vicinity and you are not immediately killed then I think you may have couple of minute as reaction time to rush to your shelter.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:35 AM, hunybuny2 said:

I am just curious, if actually a nuclear attack or a disaster takes place, will you have that much reaction time to get to your shelter ? Because as I have read that blast, sound wave and radiations just takes few seconds to reach with in a 5 miles radius. If you happen to be in that radius, I dont think you will even sense it before evaporating.

However, if it was in a near vicinity and you are not immediately killed then I think you may have couple of minute as reaction time to rush to your shelter.

Depending on the launch there might be 20 minutes to get to shelter on warning. Coastal cities and submarine launches, much less. Outside the direct blast and radiation, fallout is the issue and for that your problem is much less immediate but is long term. Clean cloths and a shower are a big help on exposure. Of course you are just guessing without some basic radiation monitors.

If there is ever a full on exchange of bombs, we are just going to have to get used to much shorter lives, large early families with very few old people. Cancers generally take 20 years to develop, with some unlucky people getting it much earlier, and a few living most of their lives. The recommended removal of contaminated soil ( top 10 cm or so ) will need to wait till the fallout has largely ended and then it's still a huge job involving equipment most people will not have.

Given power ( not to be expected unless you have your own resources, water, solar, wind, geothermal etc. ) hydroponics and LEDs could work, and avoid the contamination problem. If you don't have it in place, odds are the factories making the needed parts were targets.

47 minutes ago, dthomasdigital said:

@Gary_Gough Sure is scary stuff, how the movie go? The only way to win is not to play.

Yep, very accurate that way. A full exchange would be a mass extinction event, more because of the dust and sun blockage then the radiation. I expect some people will live through it, but not sure how many and in what condition. The last civilian bombings are fading from living memory, and people are way too good at only believing what they want, so some of the deterrence is becoming less effective.  MAD works until it doesn't, and we'll probably call that "bad luck". We actually came very close in the 1990s , after the USSR was gone. A paperwork foul up in Russia didn't get a Norwegian rocket launch notice passed to the monitors. It looked like a pre-emptive EMP attack on Russia, and they were up to the final authorization to launch a full retaliatory strike before they lost communications. Was under a minute from launch.

• Upvote 1