Survival Threads
Sign in to follow this  
dthomasdigital

Desert Monsoon Season

July and August is  when we get our desert monsoons and about 80% of our annual rain fall total for the year. With it comes the danger of flash floods and boy have we had them this year Monday in Santa Fe, New Mexico they had what was described as the thousand year storm and boy did it make a mess. I have a series of Arroyo's (dry creek beds) where I live and the flows have been pretty spectacular.

I had to repair a small sink hole in the front yard caused by 2 inches of rain in about 20 minutes and a bit of roof damage too, so when it rains in the desert stay out of those Arroyos and keep an eye on things it can get nasty in no time at all.

What kind of weird weather do you have in your neck of the woods.

One reason I moved to Va 40 years ago was general lack of weird weather. Not so much lately.

Record low temperatures and record low snowfall last winter.  Too cold and rainy  for spring planting in March and April and May. Record high temperatures and rainfall with Shenandoah river flooding about every 3 weeks since May. Better off than much of the country,  but it ought to raise eyebrows, at least. Damn shame that  superstition and profit motive have overruled scientific consensus that us dumb humans are making bad things worse worldwide. :(

• Like 1

SW.PA. Nothing ever nasty here, just regular weather...... Well there is some flooding in spots mainly near the city around the rivers,  but nowhere near me. I live in the country where people have more sense than building next to the rivers. There is heavy snowfall and heavy rains at times, spells of single degree temperatures, but only for short periods and only represent a small temporary inconvenience. An seldom tornado may touch down, one or two a year but seldom goes more than a half mile.........
No volcanic mountains, and knock on wood no earthquakes.
So it's kind of boring around here as far as the weather is concerned. In fact most of the time our weather people call for rain it doesn't come. I can't even remember the last time we had dangerous storms come thru, been years. It's so boring they label anything as dangerous just to get attention.
Maybe because I have never witnessed it I'd love to ride out a hurricane. It would be kind of a thrill for me seeing mother nature in such a powerful state. Right now I get excited over a small thinderstorm with 35 mph winds.

• Like 1

Phoenix, AZ here.  We get the Monsoons and 120° days. (Only 108° today) But the other 9 months of the year are awesome!

Had a hail storm last night two days in a row now, but this one was bad decimated my grape vines. Beat every leaf and most of the grapes right off the vine. So much for a good harvest this year. First my apricots froze now this, sad day indeed.

On 7/30/2018 at 6:47 PM, Brad said:

Phoenix, AZ here.  We get the Monsoons and 120° days. (Only 108° today) But the other 9 months of the year are awesome!

I was there last year it was like 126° I felt actual pain when I'd go outside.