Survival Threads
Wyzyrd

Let's commiserate about a crappy growing season..

NOT a political post.  This has just been my worst growing season ever, and I'm 65. Odd weather has kicked my butt this year. Here in Va, it was too cold and wet to plant until almost June. We have alternated record high rainfall and record high temperatures.  My tiny semi hydroponic herb and tomato garden did just ok.  The raised beds at a local assisted living facility we support were a disaster.  Baked desert one day, swamp the next. If I  was a pioneer in the area in the past, I would be thinking up recipes for cooking my shoes this winter.

Anybody have a good growing season this year? 

• Upvote 1

You can say that again, can anyone tell me why my zucchini plants produced nothing but male flowers, I got like 4 zucchini's this year, so disappointing. Tomatoes, grapes, and apple tress got beat down during a massive hell storm we had (not to mention how odd such a storm  in New Mexico is) had some nice roof damage too. The apricots got frozen on the tree due to the oddest flash freeze I've ever seen. So yes crappy in New Mexico too. Things like tomatoes are bouncing back so hope to get some to harvest soon, but we will be getting into cold weather soon out here in the High Desert so we will not have long. 

On a side note went to visit some friends in Minnesota over the summer and their huge garden was going crazy, they where giving bucket loads of food away, and their pickles where out of this world good!

Us not even enough to can anything.

• Upvote 1

The cucumbers at the facility did ok, basil did pretty well after a battle with Japanese beetles, squash and zucchini were coming along until human footprints stomped hell outta the plants.  Guess someone hates squash. Sunflowers and marigolds and zinnias were about all that did well, in the flower section.

At home, the freebie Hungarian wax peppers,  cayenne and cherry tomatoes  are going nuts after a hot weather lull.Most herbs are just ok, Cuban oregano not bad, not great, but you need <40 F Temps or a flamethrower to kill that stuff. 

Still a crappy year, in general 

20180609_181929.jpg

• Like 1

It's a bit strange,  but the past week of slightly lower temps, constant overcast skies and a lot of light rain, ahead of the incoming hurricane, is making the tomatoes and peppers go absolutely nuts with vine growth and flowering. Nope, nope, not a strange growing season at all......