Survival Threads
Thomas

Sorry about being AWOL but.. (and a question)

Elise & I now live in Portugal in a much much better situation. I'll do a proper write up soon but I just wanted to drop in and update y'all.

Sadly, I am not off-grid as I have to be connected to work, but I am planning to have solar panels put in at some point next year & will no doubt make a thread for suggestions on what I can do!

Out of interest, my home is heated with as water heater connected to external propane tanks- does anyone else have such a system? Any pros and cons?

• Upvote 1

Gosh another move for you two, hope it's a good place for you. I have propane at the cabin and it works great, funny thing is we've been kicking around the idea of an electric water heater when the day comes we go to Solar. 

What's your set up. and external 420 bulk tank?

We have natural gas and love our furnace, water heater, and kitchen stove operating off of gas. But I also have a fireplace and a wood burner too. In reality there's no difference between operating home appliances off of propane or natural gas except that you have the propane bulk tank outside. Propane has the advantage of having the external tank because when others may suffer an interuption in service, you'll still be up and running. But the tank is kind of ugly hanging out in your back yard.............. maybe fence it in if you can.
Natural gas is a continuous flowing energy source whereas propane must be checked and replenished which in itself can be a blessing or a curse.
The company I work for provides millions of people and businesses propane. Our trucks run 24/7 filling bulk tanks. Actually I could be using propane instead of natural gas if I wanted. Just never bothered.

On 10/1/2018 at 6:15 PM, dthomasdigital said:

Gosh another move for you two, hope it's a good place for you. I have propane at the cabin and it works great, funny thing is we've been kicking around the idea of an electric water heater when the day comes we go to Solar. 

Aye, I might switch to full electric once we go all Solar (300 days of sunshine a year in Portugal!). And yeah, always moving- hopefully this will be the last time.

On 10/5/2018 at 2:38 AM, PappyHiker said:

What's your set up. and external 420 bulk tank?

We have natural gas and love our furnace, water heater, and kitchen stove operating off of gas. But I also have a fireplace and a wood burner too. In reality there's no difference between operating home appliances off of propane or natural gas except that you have the propane bulk tank outside. Propane has the advantage of having the external tank because when others may suffer an interuption in service, you'll still be up and running. But the tank is kind of ugly hanging out in your back yard.............. maybe fence it in if you can.
Natural gas is a continuous flowing energy source whereas propane must be checked and replenished which in itself can be a blessing or a curse.
The company I work for provides millions of people and businesses propane. Our trucks run 24/7 filling bulk tanks. Actually I could be using propane instead of natural gas if I wanted. Just never bothered.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Pappy- i honestly am not sure on my current system- never had a propane system before. ;) i'll take a picture and you can educate me!

The tank(s) have their own little shed. Very discreet!

• Upvote 1