Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

IFAK - My new Load out

This weekend I took a very detailed oriented class on stopping catastrophic hemorrhaging, you know gun shot wounds, stab wounds, crushing wounds all the stuff you never every want to have to deal with. I learned a lot and the training was top notch. The instructors included combat field medics, fire department paramedics, and law enforcement. Folks that have been in the field and used these tested techniques. Like I said I learned a lot, like how painful a tourniquet is and unless it hurts you did it wrong, what it feels like to have a tourniquet on long enough for your hand to turn white and get no pulse, and what it feels like to have a 250 lbs man plant his knee in your groin and stop all blood flow to your leg (pro tip it hurts like hell). I also realized my IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) really looked more like a normal first aid kit, it had to much filler band aids, antibacterial ointment, aspirin, and just lots of stuff I all ready had in my normal first aid kit, the purpose of the IFAK is completely different the military definition says "the Individual First Aid Kit increases individual war-fighter capabilities to provide Self-Aid/Buddy-Aid and provides interventions for two leading causes of death on the battlefield, severe hemorrhage and inadequate airway". Now for us civilians you never know when you may come up on a car crash, industrial accident, or God forbid a shooting or other terrorist attack, with that in mind and with my new training I revised what I carry in my IFAK. Below is what I consider the best load out for a IFAK and even this might be a bit much. As you can see a few items in here require advanced training and I urge you to find it and go get it and then practice it. My poor wife and son can attest to how many times I've placed a tourniquet on them.

Got questions, got ideas let me know.

IFAK LOAD OUT

Small MOLLIE Pouch (1):

Z-Pak Dressing (2) 4 ½ x 4.1 yards:

Rolled Gauze 3” (1):

5X9 Surgical Pads (1):

Sharpie Pen (1):

Nitrile Gloves (2):

Face Mask (2):

Eye Protection (1):

Anti-Bacterial Wipes (4):

Medical Shears (1):

6” Israeli Combat Bandage (1):

4”x4” IDF bandage

Combat Action Tourniquet Gen 7 (1):

Nasopharyngeal Airway 28fr (1):

Surgical Lubricant 5 grams (2):

Hyfin Chest seals vented (2):

Celox Rapid Ribbon 1” x 5ft (2):

Space Blanket 52" x 84 (1):

Excellent call on the eye protection :) treating a traumatic injury is, by definition,  going to get messy.

A question, though, why latex vs. Nitrile gloves?  The only reason I ask is because my ex wife had a severe (and undiagnosed ) allergy to latex that caused inflammation and anaphylaxis as the result of a routine gyn exam.

• Like 1

On the eye protection, the guys teaching the class had a few military field medics teaching, they made it pretty clear that good eye protection served them very well, I figured they knew what they were talking about so I added it to my kits.

When it comes to eye protection (in any scenario) too many people pack the "must have" safety shades for day use but forget they are no good at night when clear eye protection is needed, both types are required as I have found out through experience.

• Upvote 2

I like adding the penlight.  For most everyday uses, I  find them more useful than the more "tactical" looking alternatives,  reasons including much lower price, and not getting swiped by coworkers, because they don't look "tacticool".

Highly recommend the $9US  Coast brand inspection light from Walmart, etc. It's no blinding laser cannon, but highly reliable, and cheap. AAA replaceable batteries,  tough aluminum body, convenient shape,  led lamp. I have 6 in various places, including EDC, and still spent less money than one "really cool" flashlight

• Like 1