Survival Threads
Brad

Henry - U.S. Survival AR-7

In addition to my M6, the other survival rifle that I have wanted for a long time is the Henry AR-7.  I don't recall what I paid for it, but the current MSRP is $305.  I've actually had it for years, but fired it for the first time tonight.  The rifle breaks down and stores in the stock and from what I have read, it floats. (Not trying that for now) Assembly is easy.  There is a screw sleeve that attaches the barrel and a thumb screw for attaching the butt stock.  It comes with 2 magazines and they store in the stock as well.  While I really like the simplicity of a single shot like the M6, it's nice having the 8 round mags and the ability for a quick 2nd or 3rd shot.

My eyes still suck so the peep hole is a challenge for me  with any rifle, but I was able to shoot it well enough for what I would perceive to be it's primary use. (Small game). The post is orange, so that helps.  There are a crazy amount of accessories for this rifle if you want to go that route.  I'm thinking I'm just going to leave this one stock for now so it all stores in the stock.  It's fun to shoot and packs up small.  More details to follow as I shoot it more.

Henry_AR7.jpg

• Like 1

I'm curious about how it shoots.  Back in the 80's a friend bought an AR-7 and I tried it and pronounced it trash.  It was awkward and the trigger was terminally clunky and so not very accurate.  I've just read a brief history that explains how Charter Arms was probably the cause of most of those problems.  The Henry, however,  gets a good review and it seems they've done a lot of work on it.  On the day I tried the AR-7 a few of us were out shooting gophers and I was using an old Savage 23-A Sporter with a heavy barrel and Lyman receiver sight so not really fair to compare them, but interestingly someone told me that the USAF once used the Savage Sporter rifle in .22 Hornet as a survival rifle as well.

http:// https://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/02/04/history-ar-7-henry-repeatings-survival-ar-7/

"Congratulations, Henry — I think you have broken the cycle of the AR-7 and restored the honor of the Stoner design with your updated version of Henry U.S. Survival AR-7 Survival Rifle."

Edited by Rick

@Rick I'm not real experienced with long guns, but my impression of this is positive.  The trigger pull seemed medium, but consistent.  The sights worked well enough with my vision correction.  The rifle seemed to shoot consistently.  Might be shooting a little low, or I might be shooting a little low, I'm betting on the latter.  My main goal was "Can I shoot bunnies at 25 yards or less" and I think I can. (more if it's 'less'!)  I had zero misfires or other issues.  I shot 36 g Winchester HPs.  About 400 rounds.

If they asked me to design this rifle, I think I'd do a folding wire stock, sacrifice a little length for a quicker setup, but they didn't.  I never had a Henry but I know a lot of folks who swear by their lever actions.  I'm pretty pleased with this one and it does fit in some small packs/bags when it is all stowed.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, Brad said:

@Rick 
If they asked me to design this rifle, I think I'd do a folding wire stock, sacrifice a little length for a quicker setup, but they didn't.    I'm pretty pleased with this one and it does fit in some small packs/bags when it is all stowed.

The fact that it all fits in the stock and stores as a compact unit is probably what sold most of these, so I wouldn't mess with it.  You can put it away like that and when you need it grab that plastic thing and the whole rifle is in there.   A Eugene Stoner design!  That's something I didn't know until reading about them. 

An armalite version is on the short list, but for practical use, the henry is where its at. The AR7 has had quite an interesting life;

340200-c2433ba4b3b2845d4a953747742e0d83.jpg.8f3dc248d7a2bbcf7918ced8a8961bf6.jpg340201-84c0193338a69853d4e158d43911f5ce.jpg.66fac3344a3d80630f05a58637f4181d.jpg

I highly recommend checking out These guys if you plan on shooting it a lot

• Upvote 1