Survival Threads
Sign in to follow this  
Brad

$100 to spend at Blade HQ - seeking suggestions

I just got a gift card for $100 at Blade HQ from my brother.  My first thought is 10 Moras, but maybe there is something a little more practical out there.  Suggestions?

Full disclosure, I don't NEED any more knives, but I want several!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:28 PM, Brad said:

" I don't NEED any more knives, but I want several!"

This is the truest statement I've ever read on this board. 😀I'd go with the 10 Moras, just cause I've always wanted to do that. 

I ended up going with two 'workmen' choices and then something to round up the amount.  First was an Opinel No 18 Stainless Steel Folding Saw Beechwood.  I wanted a new saw for my hiking daypack (for another thread)  I've always had a thing for Opinel products.  This one is sized right for the space that I had and so far, (without cutting anything yet) I'm happy with it.  The blade is on the thin side, but that has never been an issue with Opinel products for me.  It has a cam lock to hold the blade in place and a nice screw and knurled nut on the pivot for blade removal/maintenance.  Most of my day hikes are in protected areas so this would only be used if I was in a survival situation.  I'm not going to use it to cut firewood in the desert.

$46.50

Here is #1 of 3.

OpinelSaw.jpg

Edited by Brad
  • Like 1

Knife #3 is the one I got with the change.  Its a CRKT Folts Minimalist Tanto Neck Knife.  I really want to like neck knives and thought this one would be the one to bring me into the fold.  Still waiting for my magic neck knife....  What I like is the way it feels in my hand.  With the finger grooves and jimping I do feel a great deal of control with this in spite of the small size.  It's very light to wear around my neck, and it comes with an adaptor for belt carry.  It would be awesome if it cut anything! 😞  But I started working on the blade and I'm getting it into a better place for that.  Maybe this one will grow on me. 

$17.95

Knife #2 is still shipping.  Details for that to follow.

CRKT.jpg

I scoped the Blade HQ site. Was hoping to find the Bahco Laplander saw to suggest to you. Unfortunately they don't have it. But that in combination with the Mora Companion ( your choice of carbon or stainless steel ) is an ideal duo of cutting tools that won't break the bank and still give you excellent service.
I also looked for Bear and Sons knives. They don't have them either. But they have a real nice carbon steel jack knife that is inexpensive.

But between the three you have a solid set up and still be under $100 leaving you with enough money to grab a ferro rod.

• Like 2

I had a look at blade hq site, as well. I can highly recommend the Cold Steel kitchen classics 3 inch paring knife as possibly the best fixed blade utility knife I ever used. You'll need to make a sheath, and avoid tungsten v-sharpeners, because of the flat grind, but hard to beat at $8.95, and won't be mistaken for a weapon,  in most cases. 

20160328_143203.jpg

• Like 2

Knife #2 came today.  Cold Steel SRK Search Rescue Fixed Blade Tactical Knife.  I like the heft of this and it feels like it would take a beating.  Feels good in the hand too.  Not real familiar with SK-5 steel.  It was reasonably sharp out of the box and the black coating looks good for now.  This will be mostly used as a camping knife.  Reviews for all of these will follow once I use them.

$42.95

SRK.jpg

On 5/5/2019 at 7:48 AM, dthomasdigital said:

I really like that Opinel saw, I have a couple similar ones and they get a work out on my property. Any good ideas on how to sharpen them? 

I suppose you could get a file in there.  The teeth are straight.  Honestly, I don't use my saws that much so I'd probably end up getting a replacement blade.  But I know that this is a gap and I need to learn and practice how to sharpen saw blades.

get a cold steel shovel or the Condor E tool. The condor comes with most of one edge being a saw blade. There's 2" of wasted edge, tho, on a bottle opener and the remainder of the edge. For the Alone show, I'd weld in a hunk of steel where the bottle opener was, sharpen it and the remainder of the saw edge into saw teeth, offset ALL of the teeth with a vise, hammer, drift punch, layout blue and dial caliper, so that you can actually cut a saw kerf. This is for the Alone show, of course. Flatten the curve of the shovel blade in the saw area a bit, too. Then go use the hell out of that saw, making certain it's up to the job. One of the two file blades in the modified Crunch tool can keep the saw teeth sharp, no more than you're going to need them for the challenge.  Make a 5 ft long handle for the shovel, so that you can stand up and dig your dugout shelter. Make a 2 ft long one, so that you can use it 2 handed as an axe. Make one handle out of a sapling that has  a right angle fork on it, so that the shovel can become an adze, hoe, rake, pick. Without the handle, the shovel blade is a pretty good ukluk knife for skinning-butchering a big animal. It's a MUCH more versatile tool than axe and saw put together, actually. and it saves you one pick. I'd weld a nut on the female side of the handle's ferrule, and use longer screws to mount the hamdles to offer plenty of thread engagement for the various handle-changes. You're not allowed to cut green trees of more than 8" OD on the show, and if you cut a 2" deep kerf, all the way around an 8" log or tree, you'll find that you can break it at the cut, using just your body-weight.

Edited by ratter