Survival Threads
zackmars

Things I learned in my first training class

10,000 rounds through one gun taught me a lot, but all i was doing was making a hole. Should I, god forbid, need to use a handgun defensively, some actual training would most definitely come in handy.

An opportunity arose to take a rather informal corse with a local instructor, and I jumped at the chance. I'm not kidding when i say that I learned more in those few hours than I did in over 10 years of shooting on my own

The point of this post is to both point out that you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to get training from Larry Vickers, or Travis Haley, you need someone who knows how to teach and can keep their eyes on you. And can shoot well, of course.

While my class was free, ammo wasn't, and I would have happily paid for the class itself. 

What did I learn? 

Focus on front sight, don't worry about speed. Stance needs work. Get out of 2 shot rut. Learn to use cover, avoid fatal funnels. Be willing to move.

Large and bright front sights help. My 19X had ameriglo agents, and I still lost the front sight once or twice

Stop using bench at range to help stand up, creating a scar

Posistion 3/point shooting needs work.

The "scenarios" were just left over USPSA stages, and we were treating it as a house/building. I found it difficult to treat the barricades as actual "cover", since I could see right through them. My first few runs were rough due to me wanting to pop every target I saw at each spot, which was all of them. Somewhat related, I need to be more willing to to move and shoot, though we really didn't do a whole lot of moving while shooting, aside from a few figure 8 drills (walking a figure 8 around 2 55gal drums while shooting 1 target. This is my 2 shot rut. The point is that shooting twice might not be necessary, you may need to shoot 1, 3, 4, 5, etc times, and a double tap might be too much, or too little.

I need to slow down. While I didn't rush myself, and I look like a snail next to whichever A-lister taran tactical is training, there were a few shots I flubbed simply due to me not slowing down just a tad.

We also did come cadence drills, where the goal is to have target transitions match your split time. I understand the principles behind it, bit I'm not sure what I got out of it.

To delve a bit further in, you have an array of 3 targets, starting on the left target, the left gets 1 shot, second gets 2, third target gets 3, you then move back to the second target, shoot it 4 times, and move back to the first, and pop it 5 times. After doing this, we simplified it to shooting each target once. It made a bit more sense after that.

Point shooting could use more work i feel. We (me and my co-worker were both hitting a steel target about 50% of the time at 20/25 yards. I tapped out at 20.

My draw needed some real work, and so draw and presentations have been added to my dry fire routine, but I was surprised to find my draw time wasn't that bad, at under 2 seconds consistently. I was using a safariland ALS though. Which is near cheating.

Apparently I did better than I thought I did. Of the 4 times we did the scenario, I only fragged a hostage once, and it was an arm shot.

As far as gear goes, well, mag pouches are an absolute must. And even with 20 rounds in the gun, it goes QUICK.

Training is worth it's weight in gold. It's important that you go in with an open mind, and be willing to take any criticism that comes your way.

If you are around Houston/Clear lake, and need some pistol instruction/LTC classes, hit up Viper weapons.

• Like 1