Survival Threads
zackmars

M16A1 "clone"

Put this together. After a few too many Vietnam war movies, i decided i needed this. The lower is a ruger, since it is what was avalible. The upper assembly is brownells, just to save myself the headache.

The furniture is surplus A1 stuff. The brownells stuff is ok, but doesn't feel quite right.

The upper has a 1/7 twist, vs the standard 1/12, so it works better with heavier ammo. At 25 yards, i got about a 2 to 3 inch group, 50 yards was about 4, this was with 75gr ammo, 55gr was easily double that, and at 100, 55gr was all over the place, easily over 6 inches.

It didn't help that I'm left eye dominant, and due to the lack of brass deflector, my cheek got cut up in short order with 55gr, which seemed to be rather inconsistent in ejection. 75 gr gold dot exited at 4 o'clock consistently.

I shot about 200 rounds, including a mixture of brass and steel, and the gun ran fine, but an old usgi 30 round mag had an initial failure to feed, this corrected itself with a tap to the rear of the stock.

Its a fun shooter, and at a little over 7lbs it's not too heavy. 

Sorry for the lack of pictures, everythings a bit hectic right now, so ill get more soon20190717_131145.thumb.jpg.f83988e7ee1997251b396149cc99d910.jpg

I've always shot left handed and have never been hit with an ejected casing?  many thousands of rds. The accuracy sounds terrible, but I've never shot one with 1 in 7 twist. I've always used 1 in 9" or 1 in  12".  I'm looking at a 10.5" with M4 contour, tho. If it wont group 3" at 100 yds with cheap steel cased  55 gr ammo tho, I'll junk it.  Have a friend swiss load the gun, turning  his back and mixing in dummy rds. and watch your face as you hit the duds.  Either you're flinching, or the barrel or ammo suck, or your sight is moving around. cause that's horrible accuracy. consider getting an RRA drop in trigger job. You need to learn to shoot longarms from either shoulder, anyway, so that you are not shooting right handed around the left side of cover, exposing your entire torso. So shoot right handed. The brass hitting you is highly likely to have caused flinching problems. I'd have a smith work on the extractor and ejector until that problem disappeared.

Edited by ratter

4 hours ago, ratter said:

I've always shot left handed and have never been hit with an ejected casing?  many thousands of rds. The accuracy sounds terrible, but I've never shot one with 1 in 7 twist. I've always used 1 in 9" or 1 in  12".  I'm looking at a 10.5" with M4 contour, tho. If it wont group 3" at 100 yds with cheap steel cased  55 gr ammo tho, I'll junk it.  Have a friend swiss load the gun, turning  his back and mixing in dummy rds. and watch your face as you hit the duds.  Either you're flinching, or the barrel or ammo suck, or your sight is moving around. cause that's horrible accuracy. consider getting an RRA drop in trigger job. You need to learn to shoot longarms from either shoulder, anyway, so that you are not shooting right handed around the left side of cover, exposing your entire torso. So shoot right handed. The brass hitting you is highly likely to have caused flinching problems. I'd have a smith work on the extractor and ejector until that problem disappeared.

Not fliching, brownells put an o-ring on the extractor spring, ejectior tension was just too much.

Have shot a few of the RRA units. The LaRue i have in this rifle is far superior imho.

55gr is plinking ammo. Modern bullet technology has left it far behind, and if i need to use this rifle, i don't want the cheapest option to be my only option. Bullets over 60gr perform much better both at shot range and long range with 5.56. When the chips are down, I'm not going to be shooting something with a failure rate of 15%.

Oh, and I can shoot rifles from either shoulder, but I'm left eye dominant, so thats usually the deciding factor

how do you know that  you're not flinching? Are you checking with dummy rounds, or with video or having someobody watch your face and hands as you fire? Almost nobody realizes it when they are flinching. It's a subconscious thing. Those are very, very poor groups. Many  pistol will shoot better than that, and I mean a normal 9mm.

2 hours ago, ratter said:

how do you know that  you're not flinching? Are you checking with dummy rounds, or with video or having someobody watch your face and hands as you fire? Almost nobody realizes it when they are flinching. It's a subconscious thing. Those are very, very poor groups. Many  pistol will shoot better than that, and I mean a normal 9mm.

I do lots of dry fire practice, both at home, and at the range with snap caps. I don't flinch.

No, those are not very poor groups. The A1 has a pencil barrel, non free floated, on a hot Texas day, using a twist that is not meant to shoot 55gr, none of those things are good for accuracy, but if i want accuracy, i want a 77gr SMK, not a crappy 55gr pill.

You also seem to be ignoring the part i said about 75gr ammo getting 2-3" at 50 yards

To top it off the stringing was confirmed by another shooter at 100 yards, who also got about a 6" group, and I know this guy is a far better rifle shooter than I am.

This isn't my first 1/7 ar. The first upper i had used that twist was also not great with 55gr, and again, multiple people habe confirmed it.

It's easy to ignore the equipment and blame the user, but sometimes thats not the case.

2-3" is not good at 50 yds, other than from a 9mm pistol. That was my point. i'd toss a rifle that I couldn't get 1" at 50 yds from, even with iron sights. When you KNOW the gun's empty, of course you dont flinch. Like I said, it's a subconscious thing. Mix in some dummy rounds with live rds and watch your front sight when you drop the hammer on a dud. Or have a friend cycle the bolt with his back to you and then hand you the rifle, so you wont know if it's loaded or not. He'll have to know how to hold over the mag catch, so that you wont hear it click when he's lowered the mag, letting the bolt shut on an empty chamber.

Edited by ratter

6 hours ago, ratter said:

2-3" is not good at 50 yds, other than from a 9mm pistol. That was my point. i'd toss a rifle that I couldn't get 1" at 50 yds from, even with iron sights. When you KNOW the gun's empty, of course you dont flinch. Like I said, it's a subconscious thing. Mix in some dummy rounds with live rds and watch your front sight when you drop the hammer on a dud. Or have a friend cycle the bolt with his back to you and then hand you the rifle, so you wont know if it's loaded or not. He'll have to know how to hold over the mag catch, so that you wont hear it click when he's lowered the mag, letting the bolt shut on an empty chamber.

Ok. Sure thing pal.