Survival Threads
Sign in to follow this  
ratter

my 2.5 lb shelter/sleep system,

it's good for sleeping down to 30F, with just office clothes. without a fire and I can suffer thru a night at 20F, with exercises inside of the sleeping gear.  With 2.5  lbs of longjohns, wool socks, Russian winter foot wraps, gloves and liners, beanie and neck gaiter, I can sleep ok at 20F, and suffer thru a night at 10F, all without a fire.  The kit consists of 4 bags and a  1 lb, 6x100 ft, 2" mesh gillnet-hammock, no weights,   TWO  of the bags are 1/4 lb each, 3x8 ft bugnet bags. All 4 of the bags can be worn as ponchos, with dry debris stuffed between them, so there's no need of winter clothing, in the areas that I frequent. It's never below 0F here during daylight and usally it thaws. It's never below -10F, only at night and only 1-2 nights per year, altho the wind is a big issue.  34F, wind and rain are actually the worst conditions  to deal with and are almost always a threat, almost anywhere in the US. It's rarely below 20F here at night and that only for a very few weeks per year. This system works fine in the summer with no wasted weight, other than the socks and longjohns.  I never wear the socks or longjohns while I"m active. I keep them dry for sleep-time. The other two bags are a $20,  1/4 lb SOL two person Emergency Bivvy and a 1/2 lb, $10, 3x8 ft bag made from Wally's absorbent painter's drop cloth. It is superb at stopping the clamminess and condensation otherwise always noted inside of a mylar bag, within an hour. 

All 4 bags have full zippers, and can be opened flat. The 2 bugnet bags can be joined and completely enclose me and the hammock. One of the bugnet bags is divisible in half. so that I can wrap half around each leg, entrapping dry debris and lots of dead, (insulating) air. 🙂 The other bag wraps my torso, also with dry debris. I  carry a couple of collapslble trekking poles (3/4 lb for the pair, $35) 3 lbs of soft armor, which is of course a big help at staying warm, a pack cover and a drum liner, which help vs the rain and vs having to lay on wet ground. I greatly prefer the hammock and it's almost always feasible to hang it as a reclining sling chair.  The mylar and drop cloth bags are a bit fragile, so you have to use care as you enter and enter them, and they  have to be tented over a ridgeline. I use a daypack and a buttpack. The daypack rides on the buttpack, transferring most of the weight to my hips. If I'm carrying a rifle, the poles are telescoped and strapped to the outside of my pack. I can use the packs, guyed out beyond my feet and head, to get the bags up on a ridgeline.  I can stuff the bugnet bags with dry debris, lay on one, pull the other one over me. 

I also carry a 1/4 lb,  $20  UCO candle lantern and 2 beeswax candles. This can up my temps 10F degrees, inside of the bags, if I'm  seated-reclining and I can dry out an armful of damp debris in 2-3 hours in this manner. In 2 days I can thus dry out enough debris to make the bags fully useful (10F degrees warmer than without them). and I dont have to bother with the bulk, expense, weight and wet-ness worry of a sleeping bag in the warmer months. I used blue masking tape to mount a couple of strips of heavy duty aluminum foil on the "back" outside of the mylar bag. I sleep on my side and the foil stops the wind really well. I added an 18" wide strip of clear PEVA shower curtain down the zipper of the drop cloth bag. So I can sit/recline, open the mylar in a 'u" shape, and let in the radiant heat of the sun or the (one way  projected heat of a Siberian fire lay. I can also heat the 2 metal canteen cups of water, pour them into the canteens, or use hot rocks, and take the hot items into my sleeping gear., giving me a couple of hours of warmth. This can be done with a discrete Dakota fire pit, assuming that the ground is not too hard-frozen to dig 18" down into it.