Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Emergency Personal First Aid Kit

I'm back posting another list, this time your personal First Aid Kit. This is what I have in each Bug Out Bag and Car kit, well okay I have more but to me this is a minimal kit you should carry for personal use. Any ideas to improve, to much, not enough? 

(1) Cold pack

(1) Hot pack

(1) 4” Ace wrap

(1) 36” SAM Splint

(1) Coban Self-Adherent Wrap Blue, 2" X 5 Yd Roll

(1) 6” Israeli bandage or other compression bandage

(1) Celox or Quikclot hemostatic agent

(1) Combat Action Tourniquet

(2) Eye pads

(1) Pack (2 sheets) steri-strips

(1) Nail scissors

(1) Straight hemostat clamp 5”

(1) Curved hemostat clamp 5”

(1) 2-0 Nylon suture

(1) Super glue or Medical glue packet

(1) Tweezers

(1) LED penlight

(1) Stainless steel bandage scissors 7.25”

(20) 1” x 3” Adhesive bandages

(10) 2” x 3” Adhesive bandages

(2) Sterile ABD dressings 5” x 9”

(5) Pairs Large Nitrile Gloves

(5) Face mask

(20) Sterile 4” x 4” gauze

(5) Non-Stick sterile dressing 3” x 4”

(1) Roller gauze sterile dressing

(1) Mylar solar blanket

(1) Cloth Medical Tape 1” x 10 yds.

(1) Duct tape 2” x 5 yds.

(1) Triangular Bandage with safety pins

(1) Tube of triple antibiotic ointment

(10) Alcohol wipes

(10) Povidone-iodine (Betadine) wipes

(6) BZK anti-microbial wipes

(2) Packets burn gel

(6) Sting Relief Towelettes

(1) Hand sanitizer

(1) 100 count Ibuprofen

(1) 30 count baby aspirin non-coated  

• Upvote 3

I'd throw in a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol for good measures just because I prefer using that over alcohol wipes (not sure why.. habit maybe?), but that looks like a damn good on its own.

• Upvote 1

I wish water was not so heavy and so needed to keep you alive cause the best thing to clean a wound is a big old 60cc syringe and good clean water and irrigate the fire out of it. 

• Upvote 2

I wish water was not so heavy and so needed to keep you alive cause the best thing to clean a wound is a big old 60cc syringe and good clean water and irrigate the fire out of it. 

Wouldn't it be nice if powdered water existed ;) 

• Upvote 3

Laugh if you will, but I always include a couple of Maxi Pads in my kit. They absorb blood like you'd never believe. For trauma, they are an excellent choice. Put one over a large bleeding wound, apply some pressure. Wrap in rolled gauze and hold it all tightly together with coaches tape. It'll hold up like that for quite sometime. Then get your butt to the hospital for some stitches.

• Upvote 3

Laugh if you will, but I always include a couple of Maxi Pads in my kit. They absorb blood like you'd never believe. For trauma, they are an excellent choice. Put one over a large bleeding wound, apply some pressure. Wrap in rolled gauze and hold it all tightly together with coaches tape. It'll hold up like that for quite sometime. Then get your butt to the hospital for some stitches.

No laughing here! I do the same thing. I always make sure to get the plain unscented ones.

• Upvote 3

(1) Nail scissors

(1) Straight hemostat clamp 5”

(1) Curved hemostat clamp 5”

(1) 2-0 Nylon suture

(1) Tweezers

Looks like your all set to do some fancy stitching.  I was wondering If you looked into lidocaine and syringe's for the same? Sewing without some kind of local is painful.

PJL __________________________________________________________________________________________

Something's I'd rather die than do  ~~  But most things I'd rather do than die.

• Upvote 2

Syringe's I got tons of those, nothing like being a insulin dependent diabetic. Lidocaine that's another story a bit hard to get that stuff and it's not as easy to do than just shooting around the wound that lidocaine can be tricky if it gets to the heart.

• Upvote 3

Laugh if you will, but I always include a couple of Maxi Pads in my kit.

I never met a professional lumber jack that DIDN'T carry 1 or 2.

And another secret the ladies never told us about.  Pantyhose !  For cold COLD temps they go on under your long johns and they do make a difference.

PJL _______________________________________________________________________________________________

HELP OTHERS !   ~~  Some day you'll be one of them.

• Upvote 2

it's not as easy to do than just shooting around the wound that lidocaine can be tricky if it gets to the heart.

Yes...  Quite...  That point aside, I'd rather have it and not need it..etc.  I have the syringes also.

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 2

You sir are correct I would love to get my hands on some, you know what else I'd like to have but can't get one without a prescription, that's an epipen, trained on how to administer I feel if your certified in first aid you should be able to have them for your kits.

• Upvote 3

trained on how to administer I feel if your certified in first aid you should be able to have them for your kits.

We are trained for, but not allowed to use.  I wonder who decides this?  The patients that need help at once or the medical "processionals" that may see it as encroachment?

• Upvote 1

I pack Benadryl as about the only thing I can. Yeah have the training too.

You sir are correct I would love to get my hands on some, you know what else I'd like to have but can't get one without a prescription, that's an epipen, trained on how to administer I feel if your certified in first aid you should be able to have them for your kits.

I also know of places that have had management decide NOT to have an AED as if it's there then everyone would need to be trained ( I am, but it's pretty academic without the equipment. )

We are trained for, but not allowed to use.  I wonder who decides this?  The patients that need help at once or the medical "processionals" that may see it as encroachment?

Probably the same people who make sure you ask the unconscious victim if they want help. Sounds more like lawyers then doctors making that call.

• Upvote 2

Probably the same people who make sure you ask the unconscious victim if they want help. Sounds more like lawyers then doctors making that call.

Of course you are correct.

But after helping save a life once I will NEVER do less than the absolute maximum to help an injured person or animal. I'm judgment proof. The lawyers can go pound sand.

PJL ________________________________________________________________________________________

We really should treat others  ~~  Better than we have been treated.

• Upvote 1

I never met a professional lumber jack that DIDN'T carry 1 or 2.

And another secret the ladies never told us about.  Pantyhose !  For cold COLD temps they go on under your long johns and they do make a difference.

PJL _______________________________________________________________________________________________

HELP OTHERS !   ~~  Some day you'll be one of them.

Fricking hate pantyhose though. Never stay up.

• Upvote 3

Fricking hate pantyhose though. Never stay up.

Life is 1 trade off after 2 or 3  others.   At -25 or -30 C I gladly put up with a bit of hostile sagging.

(How about nylon suspenders?)

ps Preferred the honey cinnamon color, but please don't tell.

PJL _______________________________________________________________

8667.thumb.gif.41f3a87397b07a656a097f048

• Upvote 2

Not really part of the FAK, but sorta...

After being stuck a few times with dressings that had been marinated in swamp water, I now keep my kits in those heavy-duty plastic food containers from the grocery store with a built-in soft silicone gasket and 4 latching 'wings' to hold it watertight.

Usually stick a couple crosses made of red ducktape on them to make them more obvious in the dark, or if I have to send someone else to grab them.

• Upvote 1

Not really part of the FAK, but sorta...

After being stuck a few times with dressings that had been marinated in swamp water, I now keep my kits in those heavy-duty plastic food containers from the grocery store with a built-in soft silicone gasket and 4 latching 'wings' to hold it watertight.

Usually stick a couple crosses made of red ducktape on them to make them more obvious in the dark, or if I have to send someone else to grab them.

Good idea. It would really susuck to drench my FAKs.

• Upvote 1