Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Emergency Personal First Aid Kit

Very comprehensive kit. I haven't had much success storing wipes/towelettes in the vehicles, they tend to dry out and I don't find out until I open one. Wyzyrd mentioned the 5 hour energy drink containers in the alcohol thread and that's what we're using to store povodone iodine, burn jel, and sunscreen in our vehicle kits, never had a problem with them leaking. Maybe add eye drops? I swapped out the flashlights for headlamps in our kits just this past summer.

For local anesthesia, I made two kits that each have a 300mg zip-loc packet of powdered lidocaine hcl, a 15ml plastic vial of sterile saline, 3 cc syringe, 23G needle, suture, and 2 prep pads (alcohol and povodine iodine), one kit for our home FAK and another for the BOB. Everything fits nicely in an Altoids tin. Mixed (and preferably heated to 80C then allowed to cool) it's 15ml of 2% lidocaine. Cheaper, no refrigeration required, and longer shelf life than buying it in premixed liquid form, but does take about 20 minutes to prepare. To ensure you aren't in a vein or artery just aspriate before each new injection around the wound and at each new depth. Imperfect solution for an imperfect world, but it works. Hoping someone more qualified than me will be there if we ever need it in a real emergency though.

lido-kit.jpg

Edited by Walter
add pic
  • Upvote 2

I might recommend adding some loperimide and rehydration salts as well; diarrhea will kill you quicker than you can believe and can be caused by tons of nasties you might not even see coming. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Seedling said:

I might recommend adding some loperimide and rehydration salts as well; diarrhea will kill you quicker than you can believe and can be caused by tons of nasties you might not even see coming. 

I agree with you. Not sure what lopermide is? But Anti-diarrheal and electrolyte tabs both in kit.

On 12/14/2015 at 9:26 AM, Walter said:

Very comprehensive kit. I haven't had much success storing wipes/towelettes in the vehicles, they tend to dry out and I don't find out until I open one. Wyzyrd mentioned the 5 hour energy drink containers in the alcohol thread and that's what we're using to store povodone iodine, burn jel, and sunscreen in our vehicle kits, never had a problem with them leaking. Maybe add eye drops? I swapped out the flashlights for headlamps in our kits just this past summer.

For local anesthesia, I made two kits that each have a 300mg zip-loc packet of powdered lidocaine hcl, a 15ml plastic vial of sterile saline, 3 cc syringe, 23G needle, suture, and 2 prep pads (alcohol and povodine iodine), one kit for our home FAK and another for the BOB. Everything fits nicely in an Altoids tin. Mixed (and preferably heated to 80C then allowed to cool) it's 15ml of 2% lidocaine. Cheaper, no refrigeration required, and longer shelf life than buying it in premixed liquid form, but does take about 20 minutes to prepare. To ensure you aren't in a vein or artery just aspriate before each new injection around the wound and at each new depth. Imperfect solution for an imperfect world, but it works. Hoping someone more qualified than me will be there if we ever need it in a real emergency though.

lido-kit.jpg

Is your lidocaine prescription or OTC? Sorry I missed your great post.

Your right about wet wipes drying out. If you place their "air tight" bag into a ziploc, they live much longer. Nothing like grabbing a dry wet wipe.

• Upvote 1

A quick pic of the type of watertight boxes I use for FAK's .

Available at most larger grocery stores, or on Amazon .

They haven't leaked of broken yet :)

20151229_114331.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2015 at 9:26 AM, Walter said:

lido-kit.jpg

Very neat, besides insect bites, what would you use lidocaine hcl for?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Mike Ash said:
22 hours ago, Mike Ash said:

Is your lidocaine prescription or OTC? Sorry I missed your great post.

Your right about wet wipes drying out. If you place their "air tight" bag into a ziploc, they live much longer. Nothing like grabbing a dry wet wipe.

OTC, reagent ACS (laboratory) grade.  50 grams for about $50.  USP grade is available OTC at a higher price, like here: http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/10419/SLL1060

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Very neat, besides insect bites, what would you use lidocaine hcl for?

Hadn't really thought about it for insect bites, but for suturing, debriding, I&D for an abscess, or pulling a tooth.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Walter said:

This is a great idea Walter. I just can't condone to the wife $50 for some I hopefully never use. Maybe I can find less for a cheaper price. It sure would help a patient. 

• Upvote 1

A little off, but.. I had 4 stitches put in after drinking 7 black russians, no pain to speak of. Longish story but when the doctor was going to administer a local I decided I should mention the drinks in case of interactions and he decided to be safe too.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Gary_Gough said:

A little off, but.. I had 4 stitches put in after drinking 7 black russians, no pain to speak of. Longish story but when the doctor was going to administer a local I decided I should mention the drinks in case of interactions and he decided to be safe too.

I talk about using "ethanol" hand sanitizer for this exact purpose in a bugout medical emergency. But I hate explaining something that if done wrong can be deadly. I know I could administer it safely and slowly to numb pain, but can only hope others would use the knowledge safely. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike Ash said:

This is a great idea Walter. I just can't condone to the wife $50 for some I hopefully never use. Maybe I can find less for a cheaper price. It sure would help a patient. 

Thanks.  The rest of the supplies to mix it and inject it raises the cost too, but most have other uses beyond just this.  50 grams of lidocaine should be a lifetime supply, roughly 160 vials worth when mixed at 2% strength.  If you do find it cheaper please reply with where.

IIRC the pre-mixed liquid prescription lidocaine is something like $5 a vial with a prescription, but has a relatively short shelf life.  Once the seal is punctured on the larger multi-use vials any leftover needs refrigeration and only good for 30 days. I've seen it available at a couple sites for (IIRC) about $40-$50 a vial without a prescription.  Too rich for my blood, plus have to replace it every couple years or so (and hope it's still available for sale OTC then).

This was pretty much my reasoning for storing it dry, it can sit on the shelf or at the bottom of a bag for years, and just mix/reconstitute a single dose of it when needed.  Don't have to worry if it's taken off the market or requires a prescription later either.  Some minor medical procedures would be more akin to torture without it, especially for kids. 

re:ethanol, read a medical article from the 1950's not long ago describing it's use intravenously for pain and sedation.  The basic idea being to add it to saline/dextrose IV fluids, and keep their BAC at .08 to .15 %.  Apparently some of the negative side effects of oral alcohol, like nausea, aren't a problem with IV alcohol.  Thought it was an interesting idea for SHTF use if no other pain medications were available, in a 'better than nothing' kind of way to minimize suffering.

• Upvote 2

On 12/29/2015 at 9:05 AM, Wyzyrd said:

A quick pic of the type of watertight boxes I use for FAK's .

Available at most larger grocery stores, or on Amazon .

They haven't leaked of broken yet :)

20151229_114331.jpg

Oh perfect. Those are actually pretty common. Didn't realize they were completely watertight.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Elise said:

Oh perfect. Those are actually pretty common. Didn't realize they were completely watertight.

I haven't depth/pressure tested them at all (sorry, I have been watching the Mythbusters Marathon :) )  but "normal" rain/dropping in mud puddles etc. has not seemed to cause any leakage - pretty good air/water tight seal.

The blue strip inside the lid is a 'squishy' silicone gasket that makes for an acceptable seal.

• Upvote 1

Walter:

re:ethanol, read a medical article from the 1950's not long ago describing it's use intravenously for pain and sedation.  The basic idea being to add it to saline/dextrose IV fluids, and keep their BAC at .08 to .15 %.  Apparently some of the negative side effects of oral alcohol, like nausea, aren't a problem with IV alcohol.  Thought it was an interesting idea for SHTF use if no other pain medications were available, in a 'better than nothing' kind of way to minimize suffering.

I read this too in The Anarchist Cookbook when it came out. They warned against using vodka straight as it really burns up the veins, and they did give a dosage and duration of 'fix'.

Needless to say, it is not something that should be administered quickly, as it is easy to raise blood alcohol very quickly with dramatic result.

I have a buddy who is an ER Doc, and in an emergency i suppose the only one i know of personally who would legally get away with it, if it was to go public..as these things do..

Sad to say this is still used in horrid surgical  situations today when anaesthetic runs out..

Anyways, would hate to see someone have to try this to tragic effect and learn after several years of lawsuits and legal battles that one may destroy one's life in trying to save another.

World we live in..

cheers

Edited by Dan Seven

On 12/29/2015 at 6:56 AM, Mike Ash said:

I agree with you. Not sure what lopermide is? But Anti-diarrheal and electrolyte tabs both in kit.

Loperimide is the active ingredient in Immodium. Generic-brand antidiarrheal meds are just loperimide---things like this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Anti-Diarrheal-Loperamide-Hydrochloride/dp/B002RL8FJS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451539944&sr=1-1&keywords=loperamide

Edit: Apparently I have been misspelling loperamide! But you get the idea. Make sure to stick to the dosing instructions, or else Bad Times. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dan Seven said:

I read this too in The Anarchist Cookbook when it came out. They warned against using vodka straight as it really burns up the veins, and they did give a dosage and duration of 'fix'.

Needless to say, it is not something that should be administered quickly, as it is easy to raise blood alcohol very quickly with dramatic result.

I have a buddy who is an ER Doc, and in an emergency i suppose the only one i know of personally who would legally get away with it, if it was to go public..as these things do..

Sad to say this is still used in horrid surgical  situations today when anaesthetic runs out..

Anyways, would hate to see someone have to try this to tragic effect and learn after several years of lawsuits and legal battles that one may destroy one's life in trying to save another.

World we live in..

cheers

Just for the record the article I was referring to was "Intravenous ethyl alcohol therapy" from The American Journal of Nursing (March 1955 by Cowley/Cantrall), and I completely agree with the rest of your comment Dan.

That is good stuff Walter:

I remember watching episodes of M.A.S.H after this info came out and wondering if Hunnicut and Pierce were not brewing up an emergency supply of anaesthetic in case their normal supply ran out !

Curiously Hawkeye Pierce (Alda) as i remember was actually one person in the show who was a Gunnery Officer in the Army Reserve during the Korean War, (according to Military.com) though he seemed to be the one actor i would guess last with any Korean War experience..

Not possible for Alan Alda to have served during the Korean War if he was born in 1936. He would have been 14 years old in 1950 and only 17 when the war ended in 1953.

The above was a comment i read which leads me to doubt what i read..

True Lies?

i dunno..

Happy New Year Walter and for All that Served..

Edited by Dan Seven

No driver should leave home without one of these in their trunk.

scorpion survival Kit Includes:

(1) Emergency Poncho

(1) Emergency Blanket

(1) Emergency Ration Bar

(1) Emergency Drinking Water, 4.4oz

(1) Snap Light Stick

(2) Hand Warmers

(1) Tweezers

(1) Adhesive Bandage

(1) Alcohol Pad

(1) Triple Antibiotic Ointment

(1) Pack Anti Histamine

(1) Pack Pepto-Bismol

(1) Pack Electrodes

(1) Pack Pain Meds (IBU Profen)

(1) Bag Assorted Candy

Add Silver mettal (silver cross, silver rod, or silver something) before Penecilin silver use to kill bacteria and fungi, watch overdose Silver could be toxic

Silver, used as a topical antiseptic, is incorporated by bacteria it kills. Thus dead bacteria may be the source of silver which may kill additional bacteria.[11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver#Colloidal_silver

Edited by Daimond25

On 12/30/2015 at 5:33 AM, Walter said:

OTC, reagent ACS (laboratory) grade.  50 grams for about $50.  USP grade is available OTC at a higher price, like here: http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/10419/SLL1060

where are you seeing pharm grade available? - I only see "non sterile" available and it wouldn't get close to any injection I'd use or even topical spread ....

https://www.travmed.com/collections/top-sellers/products/suture-syringe-medic

Edited by Illini Warrior
  • Upvote 1

And don't forget Lidocaine is nothing to toy with, sure it's a great local anesthesia but it can and will effect heart rhythm and comes with plenty of side effects. Don't just jump in with it and as always check vitals before doing anything of this magnitude, you might find someone has more going on than meets the eye.