Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Heat Alert re-hydration fluid

With multiple Heat Alerts being issued all over the place this week (Some Heat Indexes will reach 110 degrees) and the fact that us desert dwellers need to make sure we keep hydrated I'd thought I'd share my recipe for homemade re-hydration fluid (not my recipe it's been around awhile). In case of Heat exhaustion or heat stroke do NOT drink this mixture fast or gulp it. Tiny sips at a time, or it will come right back up.

To a liter of water, add:
6-8 teaspoons of sugar (sucrose)
1 teaspoon of salt (sodium chloride)
½ teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium chloride)
A pinch of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

• Upvote 5

Hi.

Would bananas (high in potassium) help with this effort?

Funny side note… potassium is slightly radioactive. (more than background).  In my radiation safety class I would stick a shaker of potassium chloride (salt substitute) in a paper bag, set my giger counter to the most sensitive, scan it and make the counter SING!   Some of the students sitting up front would actually slide back a bit.  LOL  what great fun….. 

PJL _____________________________________________________________________

Nature has me in its grip  ~~  Should I relax or keep struggling?

• Upvote 1

We are actually having a chilly week here. Only low to mid 80s. I hope the pool water stays warm enough so I can float around drinking too much alcohol this weekend.

• Upvote 2