Survival Threads
Thomas

Initial impressions of two County Comm compasses

This morning the mailman dropped off 2 County Comm button compasses from a massdrop.com buy.

IMG_20160308_241003574.jpg.7e7ace2642d90

The larger one on the left is brass companion compass and the one on the right is the S.E.R.E compass

Besides the obvious size difference the quality of the companion compass is obviously superior with a heavy CNC machine brass body & a high visibility face.

IMG_20160308_241015319.jpg.38e595cebc153

The S.E.R.E compass is super light though & if I had to carry one around my neck I think I might lean towards that..

Plus side, it also has glow in the dark markers!

All in all, I think they are both pretty kickass in their own way. I am by no means an expert navigator but I look forward to testing these out thoroughly.

Anyone tried out any other button compasses?

• Upvote 4

Those are sweet button compasses, would make a great EDC item!

I've been carrying the S.E.R.E compass around my neck for the past week non stop, seems waterproof (no issues showering with it on) & its so small/lightweight that I forget its there!

• Upvote 1

those look great.  button compasses are usually pretty cheap in price as well as build.  im definitely going to look into these as a upgrade for my backup compasses.  always good to have a little bit of additional quality

• Upvote 1

This is one skill I need to work on, that is compass and map reading. It's been a long time since I've done any of that, gotten spoiled with GPS, not going to be much help if the batteries go out. I love the design of these little compasses, pretty nice.

• Upvote 2

those look great.  button compasses are usually pretty cheap in price as well as build.  im definitely going to look into these as a upgrade for my backup compasses.  always good to have a little bit of additional quality

Quality is definitely top notch. The accuracy is above par and dead on with my SIlva compass so as far as I am concerned its perfectly viable.

This is one skill I need to work on, that is compass and map reading. It's been a long time since I've done any of that, gotten spoiled with GPS, not going to be much help if the batteries go out. I love the design of these little compasses, pretty nice.

The lack of degrees/inclination on the compass hurt it for map navigation but for general "direction" I am very impressed. The S.E..R.E one is around my neck all the time and I love it.

• Upvote 2

Quality is definitely top notch. The accuracy is above par and dead on with my SIlva compass so as far as I am concerned its perfectly viable.

The lack of degrees/inclination on the compass hurt it for map navigation but for general "direction" I am very impressed. The S.E..R.E one is around my neck all the time and I love it.

nice. Good To hear. I am definitely going to look into grabbing a few of these. 

Im in the same boat as D thomas. I need a little work on my navigation skill as well

• Upvote 2

nice. Good To hear. I am definitely going to look into grabbing a few of these. 

Im in the same boat as D thomas. I need a little work on my navigation skill as well

if you pick one up, let me know what you think. I am by no means a navigational expert so it would be interesting to get a few more opinions!

• Upvote 1