Survival Threads
zackmars

how long would it take for your AO to recover from SHTF?

lets say due to some unimaginable act of god (or lawyers) the most likely cause of shtf is happening right now, be it a hurricane, tornado, massive riot, nuclear reactor goes tits up, earthquake, etc) how long would it take your current location to fully recover?

for us, it would take several years, lots of houses gone, and people who move away, add in the time for new people to move in and build new houses, all the businesses that would move away, and new businesses to fill their void

• Upvote 3

Well I lived through the May 20, 2013 tornado in Moore, Oklahoma (Got out of there not long ago) It really didn't take long for the rebuilding to start but my area was out of power and water for over a week. 

This was a localized SHTF situation, so there was a lot of people there to help rebuild right after the tornado. It would not have gotten up and running as quick if it was a broader hit area. 

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

• Upvote 3

I guess it really would matter how wide spread it was, if we are talking nation wide, who knows.

say, where you are, and a 20 mile radius 

• Upvote 2

I'd say for my area pretty fast, lots of military, secret projects stuff (Sandia and Los Alamos Labs) big Intel factory. Plenty of C.E.R.T. volunteers. In most cases the people around here just can't up and leave

• Upvote 2

If it was nuclear, possibly never. Omaha is only 20 miles downstream from a nuclear plant and it would all depend on which way the wind blew those days.

Being from California originally, the one I grew up worrying about was an earthquake. However, the big damage in earthquakes tend to be hyper-localized and are often due to deficient building standards for the buildings/infrastructure that sustains massive damage. There are exceptions such as 1989 in San Francisco, but that was due to building on "reclaimed" land which is about like building on sand.

• Upvote 3

You know nuclear brings up a good point, both Sandia and Los Alamos have operational reactors and God knows what kind of biological crap they have swarming around in those places. 

• Upvote 1

You know nuclear brings up a good point, both Sandia and Los Alamos have operational reactors and God knows what kind of biological crap they have swarming around in those places. 

My folks breathed a bit of a sigh of relief when they decommissioned San Onofre in Southern California a couple years ago. But then I reminded them of the waste ponds and the fact that Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station may have chemical and biological munitions present and they went back to worrying.

• Upvote 2

When the Columbus Day storm hit Portland in 62 we still had water but power was out for 10 days. No radiation or chemicals to worry about and the stores maintained their inventory more or less. Our only damage was a roof loss over my bedroom so minor compared to the total losses above.  I live everyday under the following premise.

FEMA_LOGO.thumb.gif.6202a6d9d61421a43680

PJL ___________________________________________________________________________
         The truth is ~ The future hasn't happened yet ~ And nobody knows for sure if it ever will.

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 3

Living in the midwest I had to come to terms with the possibility of a tornado happening near me about half of the year. My number one prep for that was to make sure that I did not live anywhere near a trailer park (aka a tornado magnet).

• Upvote 2

Living in the midwest I had to come to terms with the possibility of a tornado happening near me about half of the year. My number one prep for that was to make sure that I did not live anywhere near a trailer park (aka a tornado magnet).

Live'est thou not in tin, lest you be smitten.  My creed after being flooded then frozen out of a trailer in Libby MT.

PJL ________________________________________________________

Whoever is in charge of human progress  ~~  Has much to answer for.

• Upvote 2

When the Columbus Day storm hit Portland in 62 we still had water but power was out for 10 days. No radiation or chemicals to worry about and the stores maintained their inventory more or less. Our only damage was a roof loss over my bedroom so minor compared to the total losses above.  I live everyday under the following premise.

FEMA_LOGO.thumb.gif.6202a6d9d61421a43680

PJL ___________________________________________________________________________
         The truth is ~ The future hasn't happened yet ~ And nobody knows for sure if it ever will.

Closely related to a running ordinance officer outranks everyone ?