Survival Threads
zackmars

kershaw leek

Plastic lock? Is that a keep closed lock (sort of a knife safety) that you are talking about?

yup, its a little tab that prevprevents the blade from moving

• Upvote 1

yup, its a little tab that prevprevents the blade from moving

Okay, I have that type of thing on my SOG Flash II except it is metal. To be honest, I do not use that feature at all.

• Upvote 2

I don't bother using that lil tab, I tighten it down in the open position on my leek and basically forget its there. What do you think of those serrations?

• Upvote 2

I don't bother using that lil tab, I tighten it down in the open position on my leek and basically forget its there. What do you think of those serrations?

i could go either way, though they do make cutting a lot easier

the laws are so confusing here that i dont know  if disabling the lock makes it illegal or not o.O

• Upvote 1

i could go either way, though they do make cutting a lot easier

the laws are so confusing here that i dont know  if disabling the lock makes it illegal or not o.O

I hear you, laws tend to be made purposefully ambiguous so that the Police have more leeway to define xyz as illegal should the situation call for it. It sucks but its the way it is.

I have knives that deploy faster than auto's (IKBS Flippers) that are completely legal but a Balisong thats not as dangerous as a assisted tactical flipper is illegal. Madness. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe I should start a new thread for "Impressions after using for awhile" . Emerson design, Kershaw 6034 ( made in China ).  Had this for a couple of months now EDC along with my ancient KA-BAR 1002 ( made in USA ). I find the two complement each other very well. Both hold razor sharp edges ( use a 5000 grit Japanese stone for final ). Both locking blades. While I avoid using a folder as a pry bar ( huge forces on the joint doing that , and I know my strength.. Have turned a X tire wrench into a pretzel by hand trying to remove an over tightened nut ) I could see the Kershaw taking some force as it has a larger load surface in the hinge ( apx. 3/8 " as opposed to 1/4 " ) . Ka-Bar uses a spring back against a rectangular cam shape at the base of the blade to hold it closed ( very traditional ) and a brass spring lock when open. Also pretty traditional, just don't lend this to some rammy friend who'll try to force a locked blade closed ( experience ). Enough force will destroy anything. 

The Kershaw uses a small ball and detent to hold the blade closed , very nice right now, ask me for another review in 20 years ^_^ . This thing would deploy a little slower if it were a switchblade but is much less likely to accidentally open in your pocket. Your choice , pull it out closed, pull it out fully opened and locked.

For fine shaping I'll still take the KA-BAR 1002, longer point makes for better control taking a few micrometers off a surface. It's also my choice for penetrating cuts, but the Kershaw is a great tool for heavy cutting ( could slice a heavy canvas and maintain directional control, and will do well for shaping too, just be a little more patient ) .

Small addendum , picking up a couple of Kershaw 3830 for packs and will prob. use one as an EDC to see how it feels after a bit of use ( on sale for $19.95 US right now , so after shipping, money conversion and all about $41.00 CAD each ). I'll revisit this in a few months :D

100_1738sm.JPG

• Upvote 2

I love my CQC-6k, I am always amazed at the level of fit and finish to come out of China these days, for 40 bucks its pretty darn impressive. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/24/2016 at 3:53 AM, Gary_Gough said:

Maybe I should start a new thread for "Impressions after using for awhile" . Emerson design, Kershaw 6034 ( made in China ).  Had this for a couple of months now EDC along with my ancient KA-BAR 1002 ( made in USA ). I find the two complement each other very well. Both hold razor sharp edges ( use a 5000 grit Japanese stone for final ). Both locking blades. While I avoid using a folder as a pry bar ( huge forces on the joint doing that , and I know my strength.. Have turned a X tire wrench into a pretzel by hand trying to remove an over tightened nut ) I could see the Kershaw taking some force as it has a larger load surface in the hinge ( apx. 3/8 " as opposed to 1/4 " ) . Ka-Bar uses a spring back against a rectangular cam shape at the base of the blade to hold it closed ( very traditional ) and a brass spring lock when open. Also pretty traditional, just don't lend this to some rammy friend who'll try to force a locked blade closed ( experience ). Enough force will destroy anything. 

The Kershaw uses a small ball and detent to hold the blade closed , very nice right now, ask me for another review in 20 years ^_^ . This thing would deploy a little slower if it were a switchblade but is much less likely to accidentally open in your pocket. Your choice , pull it out closed, pull it out fully opened and locked.

For fine shaping I'll still take the KA-BAR 1002, longer point makes for better control taking a few micrometers off a surface. It's also my choice for penetrating cuts, but the Kershaw is a great tool for heavy cutting ( could slice a heavy canvas and maintain directional control, and will do well for shaping too, just be a little more patient ) .

Small addendum , picking up a couple of Kershaw 3830 for packs and will prob. use one as an EDC to see how it feels after a bit of use ( on sale for $19.95 US right now , so after shipping, money conversion and all about $41.00 CAD each ). I'll revisit this in a few months :D

100_1738sm.JPG

Gary is that the CQC 7k? What are your thoughts a year later? I'm thinking about getting one as my EDC. Some reviewers don't think much about the steel quality, but I reckon at around $30 it's good value for money and if it gets lost it's not the end of the world.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Smithy66 said:

Gary is that the CQC 7k? What are your thoughts a year later? I'm thinking about getting one as my EDC. Some reviewers don't think much about the steel quality, but I reckon at around $30 it's good value for money and if it gets lost it's not the end of the world.

Near miss. the CQC 7K has a more angular blade ( picture on this link https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/cqc-7k   ) the one in my pocket right now is a 3830 DSC_0885crsm.JPG.b7f0d0a53628f46dc9fe8323d36caba3.JPG

Found I was using the thinner blade most of the time, so this has been in my pocket the majority of the last year. In the right hand it's an easy ( fraction of a second even in my old hands ) open and single hand close, left hand the open is just as fast but closing is a bit less natural. Right hand the thumb presses the release and then pulls back as the index finger closes the blade, left hand the thumb pulls the release and then the same index finger close.

They were on for $20 a year ago, so I grabbed two. Holds an edge very well, and I've sliced everything from potatoes ( to make chips ) to reinforced rubber hose, cutting old solder off pipes, and wires and insulation, in the last week. It's serving as a kitchen knife while I'm camping in my house in Regina ( fixing everything thus the plumbing and electrical repairs ) even slices bread fairly well, could be a little longer for that though :D .

• Upvote 2