Survival Threads
PJL

Magnesium

If you have  block of magnesium for fire starter you might snap a hack saw blade down to its size then rubber band it to the block.  It makes me wince to see anyone use a camp knife to shave off a bit to start a fire.  The hack blades are hard, and with teeth do a great job of piling up the mag.

(I know many of you here already know / do this.  just thinking of new folks to it all)

PJL ______________________________________________________________________________

Would you rather understand it but not remember it  ~~  Or remember it and not understand it?

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 2

This works for me. There is a hole on either ends of the hack saw blade, and in my mag. fire block, so I just looped a large keychain ring through the cut off hack saw blade end tied them together so they would not be separated. I like the blocks myself..

• Upvote 2

This works for me. There is a hole on either ends of the hack saw blade, and in my mag. fire block, so I just looped a large keychain ring through the cut off hack saw blade end tied them together so they would not be separated. I like the blocks myself

Perfect Dan.     New peppers / campers?  Are you taking notes.? 

• Upvote 1

You bring up a very good point PJL.

I guess the envisaging of a desperate situation leads us to see a mag block and a firesteel.

The hacksaw blade is great for throwing sparks off a firesteel without a knife. Further, for the

dryer-lint-cotton ball Vaseline crowd, or folks that keep tinder on a key chain cylinder types,

nothing wrong with taking hacksaw magnesium shavings and impregnating the balls or tinder.

I used to (or maybe still have) have 100% pure magnesium ribbon, maybe 1/16 of an inch thick,

and 3/8 of an inch wide. I could not light it with a Bic. Even with pure magnesium, it is difficult to start,

unless fine shavings are produced. It is heartening to see the arc-welder intensity once it goes !

Edited by Dan Seven
syntax
  • Upvote 1

If you have  block of magnesium for fire starter you might snap a hack saw blade down to its size then rubber band it to the block.  It makes me wince to see anyone use a camp knife to shave off a bit to start a fire.  The hack blades are hard, and with teeth do a great job of piling up the mag.

(I know many of you here already know / do this.  just thinking of new folks to it all)

PJL ______________________________________________________________________________

Would you rather understand it but not remember it  ~~  Or remember it and not understand it?

Some sound advice, I have used magnesium blocks in the past but I don't really see the appeal. Dry tinder is (almost) as effective and a wetfire square catches easier than magnesium shavings. 

Maybe I am using magnesium blocks wrong! ;) I do appreciate its benefits in wet/humid conditions though.

Yes William, 'Yes We Can !'

We might have to wait for the Annual 'MTJS' Reunion Party though..i have a trailer...B|

Sign me up. I'll bring nachos.

• Upvote 1

:D The first 3 words of my post   "If you have." ........ The last 4 "new to it all."

In truth.  If my survival depends on a mag block I have made some serious errors. My next step will likely be to consume my brandy pint and prepare  for a dirt nap.

PJL ______________________________________________________________

Probability Lab      door sign:

Usually Open  9-12

Often Open   1-5

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion a Magnesium Block is too problematic to be worth carrying around for the more than

the sake of novelty. I picture it's military usage, but then I often wonder if a person was not just whittling

shavings off into a stubborn tiny fire they started with their zippo or trench lighter, to see a value for it.

Even with fine shavings that are hard to keep in a pile, like produced by hacksaw, it seems to needs to be

in a precarious little dense pile on its own, not just spread on finest tinder, to catch fire.

It seems to need to feed on itself for a bit to ignite. It's a great tinder booster to be sure..

Some years ago they began packaging a small ferrocerium rod into a mag. block, some pretty good, most no.

An "All in one solution"  spark ignition tinder..nothing but blade to carry. Even a good block with the small ferro is

hard to light for me, and all of the ones I have around the ferrocerium is all but gone most all the the block is there.

Then came the big ferrocerium rods with much bigger, hotter longer lasting sparks, that can ignite more tinders.

Which is why I think I am going to get out my file collection and see if I can get something more powdery.

Might work..or just clog up the file..

• Upvote 2

My foray with the mag-bar/ferro rod was short lived. I used the ferro rod more sans the magnesium. I found that PJCBs was a more viable fire starter in an emergency. The magnesium shavings worked but they were difficult to keep in place in the wind and not worth the effort needed to scrape enough to make it matter. 

DomC

• Upvote 1