Survival Threads
WiseGuy

Best all-around caliber for BOB weapon?

I may be one of few who keeps a firearm in my bug-out bag, and I'd like to hear from others regarding your personal choice.

My personal choice is a Ruger Mark III, chambered in .22LR.  It's light, concealable and has sufficient power for small game hunting or personal defense. The ammo is also light, enabling me to carry more than I would with a larger caliber of weapon like a 9x19mm or .40S&W. It's not overly loud, and I don't worry about having "too much gun" when hunting rabbits, squirrels, etc.

Your thoughts?

• Upvote 2

Hi there WiseGuy..

Shooting rabbits, especially jackrabbits here in the prairie is sporting to say the least, they are dodgy.

Having lot's of cheap ammo has it's virtues and a cheap brick of .22LR is just the ticket. If a gamebird

comes along in a survival situation (or not so game) a .22LR will not spoil much meat if taken well.

This is a bit of an issue for folks that like the argument of a big handgun or a big game rifle that have a point

in saying that a .22 will not keep you safe in "Alone" country. It won't, but some of Murres and Seabirds just out

of reach seen in the episodes, and later geese and ducks, would be in the pot too..and that is where a .22 shines.

I learned how to shoot with a Russian Vostok TO3-12 target in 3/4 heavy barrel with peeps. I ripped the sights off

crashing bush and ended up with a scope which was fine. It fed me and a few weird pets I had for long time plenty. 

So, for the bigger calibre stalwarts that insist it will not do you any good, it did me plenty of good..eats..

• Upvote 1

Sorry mis-read

I like .40 s&w.

Ive seen 9mm, .45 and .22lr bounce off hog skulls, all fmj's, except the .22lr

Edited by zackmars
I need to read
  • Upvote 2

As have I; believe me, I'm not pooh-poohing any other calibers for effectiveness, external ballistics or any other technical specs.  I'd love to be able to pack my AR-15 or M1A, and in a SHTF situation where I was more concerned about personal defense than being able to hunt for subsistence, I probably would. 

Most of the "grab it and go" scenarios that I've played out are simply exercises in being able to "un-ass" myself from a populated area; with that being said, being able to bug out with just the weapon in my bag has always been a time saver. It and its ammunition are always in the kit, ready to go at a moment's notice..

Additionally, I have to exercise some sort of fire discipline when hunting with a .22LR; the theory of "never shoot a large-caliber man with a small-caliber bullet" applies to the size of the animals I would target. A miracle of ballistics, shot placement and curvature of the Earth might bring down a large animal, but most likely I would wound it with nothing to show except a shell casing. Can't eat those...

• Upvote 3

As have I; believe me, I'm not pooh-poohing any other calibers for effectiveness, external ballistics or any other technical specs.  I'd love to be able to pack my AR-15 or M1A, and in a SHTF situation where I was more concerned about personal defense than being able to hunt for subsistence, I probably would. 

Most of the "grab it and go" scenarios that I've played out are simply exercises in being able to "un-ass" myself from a populated area; with that being said, being able to bug out with just the weapon in my bag has always been a time saver. It and its ammunition are always in the kit, ready to go at a moment's notice..

Additionally, I have to exercise some sort of fire discipline when hunting with a .22LR; the theory of "never shoot a large-caliber man with a small-caliber bullet" applies to the size of the animals I would target. A miracle of ballistics, shot placement and curvature of the Earth might bring down a large animal, but most likely I would wound it with nothing to show except a shell casing. Can't eat those...

i agree wth you on the self defense part, which is why i have more than a pistol.

Having the ability to kill a hog 150 yards out is huge, especially when your bug out route is in hog territory.

I got stuck in a tree by a 200lb sow, and i had a 10/22.

If that tree wasn't there, I'd be toast

Iwas able to kill her, but having somthing like an ar would have made a world of a difference.

The added 12 lbs of an ar + ammo is well worth the added security 

Edited by zackmars
Add stuff
  • Upvote 1

ok.a not so funny story...but I got a good painful smirk out of a hard man once..a master hunter..

His name is Dean, 72, both hips replaced, hunting for 70 years, most of his best racks are with

muzzle, but his standby is a Sako in 7mm Winchester. He can tell stories all night, all ringing with truth.

Anyways I asked him once about quarry. I said "Dean, in terms of the quarry, which is more important,

being in the right place at the wrong time, or in the wrong place at the right time?     He replied:

"Makes no difference".

He always bugged me about my .303 Jungle Carbine with a bayonet.

One day he brought down a nice White tail and was standing on it's rack and took out his bucknife to

finish it off when it lurched half up to it's feet, gashing him bad between thumb and forefinger with his knife.

I said "Dean, that's why You should trade your Sako in for an Enfield with a bayonet". Never bugged me again.

Incidentally, the .303, despite what the slandering of the ballistics may suggest, still packs a good wallop.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/giant-yukon-moose-confirmed-as-world-record-1.2521183

• Upvote 2

Please forgive me... The devil made me show off my weapon of choice.

GuardGull.thumb.jpg.caba3c21de47edd7ebcd He don't fit well in a BOB. But then he don't have to. Complete with 6 .30 cals. and 4 6.5" Rams.  (All sizes relative to the air frame).

PJL __________________________________________________________________

Serious. Add my vote to the .22 group if only one is allowed..

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 2

Best "true" BOB gun, I would agree with .22lr. For me the BOB is a forget it until you need it thing (minus normal upkeep and rotation of course) and most people just are not going to have the funds to be able to toss an AR in the BOB. If you have time to seriously grab shit, different story of course. With .22lr pistol (or even a carbine or rifle that is easily disassembled and reassembled) you can get something inexpensive and lightweight that you can just leave in or strapped to your BOB at all times.

• Upvote 1

Please forgive me... The devil made me show off my weapon of choice.

GuardGull.thumb.jpg.caba3c21de47edd7ebcd He don't fit well in a BOB. But then he don't have to. Complete with 6 .30 cals. and 4 6.5" Rams.  (All sizes relative to the air frame).

PJL __________________________________________________________________

Serious. Add my vote to the .22 group if only one is allowed..

Why not just put a picture of a Minuteman missile on there then :P

Why not just put a picture of a Minuteman missile on there then :P

Because then I would have to dump my "Gull Friend".   (and the crowd groan's)

• Upvote 2

I think You should train your "Gull friend " to carry your bug out bag.

Dan....   There is this weight to lift ratio thing. Damn Newton.

I'm not a big fan or revolvers but my  H&R .22lr mag is a slick BOB addition.

• Upvote 1

You are a good sport PJL..

Looking over a Ruger 10-22 Takedown Model modded with a Butler Creek Folding Stock.

Stock Grip and Receiver under 12 inches. barrel 18 5/8, total assembled under 28 inches

Some vids on Youtube, stainless barrel, not the cheapest option, but compact..

110 rd. Drums out there, for  'Harvesting Time' I guess..

• Upvote 1

I was looking at YouTube vids comparing the .22LR ver. .22 Mag.  The slugs were full metal jacket.  When shot into sand the LR held it’s shape. The Mag mushed out to about a .30 cal. Size.

I once did witness a deer kill with a .22 LR.  This was in Northern ID.  The guy had been feeding and salting the local population in his back yard so when he needed meat all he had to do was wait for dusk. He basically walked up to a small forked horn and stuck one in its ear. The critter dropped like a stone.

The point is; A .22LR or Mag is as much kill power as a person really needs. When you all get to heaven, look up Jae Delsesto. (my adopted brother) He was shot in the chest with a .22 SHORT ! Killed him within 2 min.

And for taking small game a .22 is the boss.  I wish my L&H had a longer barrel. (its just 5”)  At 50 yards it’s as accurate as the shooter. OR !  Get a guard gull (see the other thread)

Having said that, I got to thinking about other parts of the universe.  You know.                                

East of the Rockies.

Where the land is flat. The game can see you coming from a mile away and you need to “reach out and touch something.” A .22 or .25 or .223 or .7.62 will tax the shooter. I decided it’s best to just stay West of the Rockies and avoid all those long shots. My friend in ID had the right idea.

The other option would be a .25 cal. My little Phoenix will slide in my back pocket. I carry 24 rounds (4 clips worth) in the handle of my folding shovel. But with a barrel of only 2.3” it’s about as accurate as a spit wad. But it makes ONE HELL OF A RACKET !

Once I get into the hills the Phoenix never leaves my pocket. I have never needed it, but it’s warm and soothing. Like a girlfriend that never complains.

PJL __________________________________________________________________________

I WANT A RICH, FULL, LIFE !  ~~  instead of this one..

You are a good sport PJL..

Looking over a Ruger 10-22 Takedown Model modded with a Butler Creek Folding Stock.

Stock Grip and Receiver under 12 inches. barrel 18 5/8, total assembled under 28 inches

Some vids on Youtube, stainless barrel, not the cheapest option, but compact..

110 rd. Drums out there, for  'Harvesting Time' I guess..

the 10/22 takedown is a great rifle, just add some tech sights and replace the plastic trigger with a metal one (but use the plastic housing) and you're ready to go

Stay away from drums and aftermarket mags, and stock up on bx-25's, bx-15's and 10's

Decently accurate, enough for a squirrel in a tree

Though if i was to pack a rifle in my bag, i would look at other options 

14 - 1 (3).jpg

Edited by zackmars
  • Upvote 1

Though if i was to pack a rifle in my bag, i would look at other options 

There's a good question.  If you were to pack a rifle what would it be?  .22 for small game? SKS with banana clips for spraying every thing? 12 gauge for birds and such with some slug rounds for big game? Or if your in flat land a 300 Win Mag to reach out. I live in brush country so my all around, absolute all time, you will never take this from me, favorite is my 1943 30-30 Winchester. You can drive nails with it at 100 yards. But it does make a mess with squirrels and rabbits.

PJL ___________________________________________________________________________

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

There's a good question.  If you were to pack a rifle what would it be?  .22 for small game? SKS with banana clips for spraying every thing? 12 gauge for birds and such with some slug rounds for big game? Or if your in flat land a 300 Win Mag to reach out. I live in brush country so my all around, absolute all time, you will never take this from me, favorite is my 1943 30-30 Winchester. You can drive nails with it at 100 yards. But it does make a mess with squirrels and rabbits.

PJL ___________________________________________________________________________

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

i would take an ar, plus a .22lr conversion bolt

I have a rifle that can take anyting from a squirrel, to a 300+lb hog from several hundred yards, and is perfect for defensive use.

If i lived in California, or some other anti gun state, i would take an sks or winchester 1894

If tshtf, i can't see any situation where i would need to shoot past 300 yards, except for maybe hunting 

I have a rifle that can take anyting from a squirrel, to a 300+lb hog from several hundred yards, and is perfect for defensive use.

And that is? 

Here in brush country a 100 yard shot is long. If your around a clear cut area it gets longer but I try to avoid open areas. They remind me too much of the east.

PJL _________________________________________

frog.thumb.gif.afc2c58a1da8769d8077d5028

This interesting..

the 30-30 lever is very popular here, especially as a "throw behind the seat of the truck, hanging off the saddlebag gun for the folks up North in the bush. Natives here prize them highly.

Of course, older examples are better before they were 'bought out' and went cheap. Utility.

The .223 is not legal for deer here, and there is an interesting split here in Canada East-West.

The Mini 14's are very popular in the East, so much so that it is unlikely they will be classified as a restricted weapon. I agree with Zackmars that the drums are problematic and 'hokey' to me.

Out West, the 30-30 in the North and bolt varmint calibers farther South are far more popular than the Ruger ranch rifle. The distances are greater, and so are the calibers as a rule.

Many US Rifle Authors have really pushed to knockdown Foreign made rifles. For the benefit of their advertisers. Companies like Remington and Winchester make a lot of money from ammo.

It is the printer ink for that printer, that just keep running out, till it is time to 'bite the bullet'

Recreational shooters want to shoot lot's and cheaply. An interesting google is "Worst Deer Rifle"

You will come up with .303 Enfield and AK 47 written by a respected author in the USA.

Winchester and Remington got worried that folks with a 100 dollar Enfield, in these hard times, would stay in the game long enough that the Chinese would start making 50 cent/ round ammo

Same with the AK./SKS. Cool factor, not great shooters, but CHEAP AMMO. Does not bode well for the Advertisers. Nothing wrong with a Made in the USA option. I myself was not, and have had a lot of fun shooting with Russian and British Guns. My Dad touched nothing not Winchester.

Anyways, said American Author failed to remember the Enfield was designed by an American.

That being said, having a bigger caliber is much harder to explain to the cops than a .22

• Upvote 2

And that is? 

Here in brush country a 100 yard shot is long. If your around a clear cut area it gets longer but I try to avoid open areas. They remind me too much of the east.

PJL _________________________________________

frog.thumb.gif.afc2c58a1da8769d8077d5028

i said it earlier in my post, an ar15 in 5.56x45 NATO, with a .22lr conversion bolt 

Edited by zackmars

i have a 10/22 takedown and it is pretty awesome. i was pretty surprised by the accuracy.  i agree with the previous comment on the after market mags.  id say stick to the BX-25s.

the short answer to this question would be, whatever i have available.  if i can get to my bugout gear, it will then depend on whether a vehicle is an option or not.  if so, i will obviously take as much as i can.  this would include a few more guns.  likely an AR and a shotgun. 

if i am going ton foot, i will likely be bringing the takedown along. it is super light.  more accurate than you'd expect and has common ammo.  ive actually been thinking of turning the carry case into a mini survival kit.  just some basic essential gear. 

along with that, i have a 9mm Walther PPQ stored with my emergency gear.  that will be coming along as well.  a lot of people dump on 9mm, but to me, it is just fine.  i am not looking to be getting into any gunfights unless there is literally no other possible option.  it is the most common ammo type in my area.  and self defense loads are plenty sufficient.

at my bugout location, i have my hunting rifle (a .243 Remington) and ammo.  a .357 ruger revolver and extra ammo.  along with ammunition for my takedown and walther

with these options, i feel like id be well prepared for small and mid range game hunting (all there is in my area) as well as basic defense.  like i said, i am not a commando.  im looking to avoid conflict if at all possible, but if it comes to it, i will have at least some personal defense. 

the weapons i do have are solid and reliable with easier to find ammo.  all important things when buggging out.  you are way more likely to run across some 9mm than you are some FN 5-7 or something oddball like that.  keep it simple

• Upvote 3