Survival Threads
Gary_Gough

Music

There is a great Movie filmed in Quebec called "Free Money", part of the soundtrack.

Heavy Hitter. Stars Marlon Brando, Donald Sutherland Charlie Sheen,

Thomas Haden Church, Mira Sorvino with a cameo by Martin Sheen.

About 66 minutes in I think...Hilarious Movie.. Brando in full crustiness..

The Musical Group is from Quebec, a form of Celtic inspired "Mouth Music"

Music post SHTF etc is one of my top worries (even though it should not be). If EMP took out my iPod and I was having to bug in, I would not freak too bad as I still have my vinyl. But if I had to bug out I may lose my mind.

Music post SHTF etc is one of my top worries (even though it should not be). If EMP took out my iPod and I was having to bug in, I would not freak too bad as I still have my vinyl. But if I had to bug out I may lose my mind.

Last hand cranked portable disk player I saw only handled 78 RPM . Your MP3 is more likely to survive an EMP then the home stereo ( smaller is better in terms of field exposure ) esp. if you get in the habit of storing it in a metal box / Faraday cage when not in use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCDXhvXye9E

Last hand cranked portable disk player I saw only handled 78 RPM . Your MP3 is more likely to survive an EMP then the home stereo ( smaller is better in terms of field exposure ) esp. if you get in the habit of storing it in a metal box / Faraday cage when not in use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCDXhvXye9E

But once the iPod runs out of juice...... I do wonder how my solar charger (a 12 or 15 watt portable one) would be impacted in an EMP situation. I have never looked into it.

With vinyl one can also hand spin it or work reduction gears into the scenario in order to play it like a ye olde timey phonograph.

But once the iPod runs out of juice...... I do wonder how my solar charger (a 12 or 15 watt portable one) would be impacted in an EMP situation. I have never looked into it.

With vinyl one can also hand spin it or work reduction gears into the scenario in order to play it like a ye olde timey phonograph.

The panel itself will probably be fine, if you can detach the charger control, just store it in a metal case when not in use. Those 50 cal military surplus cases with some slight mods would be great ( sand through the paint on the upper edge and inside the rubber seal on the lid and solder in some copper screen / foil to crush between the rubber and upper box and you have a full Faraday cage. Even without the mod should be good protection ) Even better, large enough metal box for the panel, charger, spare laptop computer, couple of pocket hard drives with backups of everything you value, spare HF radio... :P 

It would take some fancy work to get those two diaphragms connected at the right angles for stereo on a mechanical turntable / tone arm, and probably would need to do a stethoscope style headset unless you want to increase the force on the record. ( 1.5 grams should work, the old 78s often weighed more like 1.5 pounds ) no theoretical obstacles that I can see though. B| on the 78s they used a spring for energy but a chain weight would be more even if you have the room. Speed regulation was usually weights on springs inside a brake drum ( faster they spin the more the braking applies ).  

Good Thread..

If the whole EMP thing starts to happen, some folks have the plan to toss

the cell phone ipod/ ipad /iphone into the microwave, which apparently is a

very effective faraday cage. I would pull the plug out first to be safe..

An idea might be to find a dead microwave just for that purpose..

Edited by Dan Seven
had an idea

Good Thread..

If the whole EMP thing starts to happen, some folks have the plan to toss

the cell phone ipod/ ipad /iphone into the microwave, which apparently is a

very effective faraday cage. I would pull the plug out first to be safe..

An idea might be to find a dead microwave just for that purpose..

They aren't bad, but even a standard oven will do almost as well. The front RF seal on a microwave is a tuned short circuit at 3 GHz on most new ones, maybe with a lossy outer seal to catch any leakage. Principle is a 1/4 wave cavity built into the door and set 1/4 wave out from where the door meets the oven, so any waves coming from inside the oven past the door edges hit an impedance miss match and get reflected back in. Similar idea with sound is to place something with a very different density in the way so energy doesn't couple into and back out. So 500 Kg lead sound room door as opposed to making it out of fake wood grain 3/16 plywood.

Most things that don't have long wires attached may survive anyhow. Recent example here, I had sparks jumping between objects in my shop a split second before a house shaking kaboom a few weeks ago, haven't found any damage yet. Neighbours had a strike maybe 5 meters from the house, lost the garage door opener, modem, internet router, eithernet port on the PC and an automated control system on a gas pump ( on a beach and they sell gas to boaters ). So far I've fixed everything but the garage door opener.

Another friend had a lightning strike burn a spiral hole into a pot of water on his stove, and drain it. Took out every last bit of electronics in the house. I took on a commodore C 64 that had been packed in a closet and found 14 blown chips, got it fixed but really it was a write off other then being a challenge.

Wow Gary:

Great Information !

Really pays to keep things unplugged in an electrical storm.

I have a Jenn Air Convection Range whose motherboard was fried, no replacement.

Only thing that worked after that were the stove top elements..

Going to keep my old tube equipment around for good luck..

cheers..

Wow Gary:

Great Information !

Really pays to keep things unplugged in an electrical storm.

I have a Jenn Air Convection Range whose motherboard was fried, no replacement.

Only thing that worked after that were the stove top elements..

Going to keep my old tube equipment around for good luck..

cheers..

Those disposable film cameras with flash have a 300 volt cap in them, can often pick up a few used for free at a camera shop. Great for restoring old tube radios to original sound ( unless you like a 60Hz hum ). Careful removing as they usually are charged and will bite :P . Have one old AM / SW mantle radio with the octal tubes ( 12SK7, 12SA7, 12SQ7, 50L6, 35W4 ) so far the tubes haven't gone gassy but I expect that will be it's eventual death.

Hey, I think I may have some of those tubes around. I will check that out later.

Time to find a set of spares for my Drake R-4C, TX-4C..40 clams apiece or so..

Holding on to my old Hickok 600 just in case as well!!

Good tip on the Caps..

If I could find a nice old tube amp I might be compelled to trade in my Brystons..

cheers

Edited by Dan Seven
more