Survival Threads

What did you do today to help you prep?

Today I worked a bit on my medical supplies, finally added the important documents file to all go bags and made sure all go bags had the frog togs ponchos added.

• Upvote 2

I like ropes and knots and cordage. So I practice these items while watching survival re-run shows and adding to my home water storage devices.

(see) http://survivalthreads.com/topic/150-h2o-bugging-outin-or-sideways/

PJL ________________________________________________________________________

Save the trees!  Save the whales!  Save the earth!  ~~ But same a little time for saving yourself!

• Upvote 1

Ran outside at 2 am, with my 1 day pack, started a fire, and am now heating up an mre.

I like to do this with my 1 day pack, since I have it with me all the time

Edited by zackmars
  • Upvote 3

I wish I had a more structured regimen, I test out gear everyday (its my full time job now) as well as research and practice some skills but I do find myself spending more time than I would like indoors.

Maybe I should have a prepper/bushcraft day reserved where I disconnect every device and trudge through the woods learning and experimenting!

• Upvote 3

Yesterday I inventoried my long term items ( a real inventory of sugar, salt, water, freeze dried food stuff like that ) and added the items to a spreadsheet (with formulas even) to account for weight lbs/gallons/quarts. I want a get a better idea of how much more I need. My goal is to have a years worth of long term storage. If I couple that with my short term ( 3 months ) I figure I can stop then and just focus on preventative maintenance. That's the theory.

• Upvote 2

Yesterday I inventoried my long term items ( a real inventory of sugar, salt, water, freeze dried food stuff like that ) and added the items to a spreadsheet (with formulas even) to account for weight lbs/gallons/quarts. I want a get a better idea of how much more I need. My goal is to have a years worth of long term storage. If I couple that with my short term ( 3 months ) I figure I can stop then and just focus on preventative maintenance. That's the theory.

I love your organization! I should be more like you.

• Upvote 1

my daily prep is to get on the bike and go for a few miles.  i do try to check my gear pretty frequently, but i dont have a set schedule.  usually just when i have some time.  i try and exercise as often as i can though since maintaining your own health is one of the more important things you can do to be prepared

• Upvote 2

I've started building my FIFO "First in First out" can good dispenser, all in cardboard. I'll take pictures and make measurements and get it posted when done....now off to by blades for the exacto-knife. 

• Upvote 1

Today's prep was i cut two face cord of dead ash and stacked it in the back yard. Now we await winter 

10:12 pm and current temp is 47°F

Edited by Tfire1163
Misspelled words
  • Upvote 1

I carry a medium sized backpack as a purse. In just a bit, I'm going to clean it out and change out some of my EDC. I'll check my two knives and decide if I want to switch those out. I'll probably move some stuff around in my small zipper pouches...found a couple of extra small pouches brand new at a thrift store that I'd like to use. I like EDC keychain stuff too and have some of that to switch around.

If I carried everything I wanted--my backpack purse would weigh twenty-five pounds. Then I'd have to call it my Bug Out Bag. :)

• Upvote 4

My daily prep today is subjecting my body to cold temps  32°F sleeping in the garage with 3 USMC wool blankets a large recliner chair as my bed. I generally sleep with a temp of 67°F and one blanket

Edited by Tfire1163
Added content
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tfire1163 said:

My daily prep today is subjecting my body to cold temps  32°F sleeping in the garage with 3 USMC wool blankets a large recliner chair as my bed. I generally sleep with a temp of 67°F and one blanket

I think...we found a winner.

Thats extremely punishing and both @Dan Seven & I live in Canada. Kudos.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Rspreps said:

Made a fire starter roll with dryer lint stuffed inside toilet roll.

Lookin' good! Should make some of these ourselves.

B| I'd just used dryer lint to light the wood heater 2 days ago. Anything that will burn cleanly tends to go there though. Lint, flyers, ( old phone book pages make good tinder ) once it's a hot fire with a good draft, polyethylene ( shopping bags, plastic bottles, etc. ) 

Hate blister packs on a few fronts, the plastic really needs lots of air and high temps or it is best not burned, and that whole idea of wrapping a 10 gram item in 50 grams of useless packing really should be dropped.

Found out that left over rocket candy will put out a fire, just knocks out the flame with inert gases but has me thinking that a rocket into a venturi with a water tank backpack could be a great way to make a portable fire fighting rig. High pressure water pump that would be hand sized. 

• Upvote 1

In the Tropics when ecoli raged out on a little one in my care they had a product in pill form called Lacteol Forte..

that will gum up the works let me tell You..

cheers

• Upvote 1

I do a daily 6 - 10km walk every day with a small EDC pack just to maintain my fitness (now that I'm getting close to 50). I see many Youtube Channel presenters reviewing their latest Bug out Kit ... But I often think that many of them wouldn't have the fitness levels to Bug out, let alone survive more than 72 hours in a real SHTF scenario. Fitness is almost as important than Knowledge when it comes to Survival.