Survival Threads
zackmars

Gerber BMF

Sometime, in the late 80's my dad bought a gerber bmf, or "Gerber basic multi function knife", but we all know what they mean by BMF, "Bad Mother F***er"

This knife, unfortunately no longer made, is the biggers knife ever made, anything bigger is just silly

Just looking at the 14.5" oal knife just makes you want to utter foul words that makes a sailor look like a nun, and wipe out a bunch of guys gaurding a P.O.W. camp

The nearly 9" blade also adds to that feeling of ultimate power, the super aggressive saw back makes even the mighty Californian redwood trees quiver in fear.

The rubberized grip has held up to 20 years of use qute well, and is still very comfortable, the knife has a nice pommel, perfect for crushing the skull of the Russian who is electrocuting you, or hammering in a nail, or even breaking a window.

The blade has some heft (28 oz w/ sheath), but for the size of the knife, it is incredibly light, and very well balanced

The crossgaurd has several holes, perfect for making this knife into a spear (Science tells us this is the only way to make this knife more deadly)

I cannot comment on the sharpness of the factory edge, but if it is not to your liking, the sheath has a nice sharpening stone, and the blade can hold a very sharp edge, (so sharp, if my surgeon was to use it as a scalpel, i wouldn't mind)

As for blade material, The 8-inch blade is ground from tough 1/4 inch thick high carbon surgical stainless steel, with Rockwell hardness of c54-55, while some may call this steel soft, it adds toughness, and stress resistance in several areas.

The sheath has a small pouch, with a small first aid kit, containing a few bandaids, (though the blade is so effective, if you accidentally cut yourself with it, you need a hospital, not a small bandaid) a leatherman micra fits in quite well, if that is more your speed

The sheath also has a small loop at the bottom for a leg wrap, so it doesn't flop around when dodging .50 cal mg fire from a russian helicopter

No words describe how incredibly awesome this knife is, in fact, this hardly qualifies as a knife, size alone puts it in the sword category.

Some knives will make you feel like rambo, but this knife will turn you into him. For real.

20150811_003216.jpg

20150811_003245.jpg

20150811_003254.jpg

20150811_003311.jpg

20150811_003346.jpg

20150811_003402.jpg

20150811_003430.jpg

Edited by zackmars
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

Very cool, I always liked the old school style of scales/handles. Very neutral without excessive choils or finger grooves. Is that sawback actually useful?

• Upvote 2

I bought a BMF way back in '86 (the year of introduction) when I couldn't afford the Buck 184. I recall the saw back could cut wood but very roughly. It came with a compass and a diamond coated sharpening tool on the back of the sheath. The compass was made by Silva.

I regrettably pawned it in the early '90s when I needed money. It was a great knife nonetheless...

DomC

• Upvote 2

I bought a BMF way back in '86 (the year of introduction) when I couldn't afford the Buck 184. I recall the saw back could cut wood but very roughly. It came with a compass and a diamond coated sharpening tool on the back of the sheath. The compass was made by Silva.

I regrettably pawned it in the early '90s when I needed money. It was a great knife nonetheless...

DomC

Perhaps the saw back is intended to notch wood, rather than actually saw it. I really wish these cool vintage designs were still in production! :( 

• Upvote 2

Perhaps the saw back is intended to notch wood, rather than actually saw it. I really wish these cool vintage designs were still in production! :( 

it can cut wood, but it is incredibly messy, and has a good learning curve.

Gerber had a lot of really cool designs, too bad they couldn't drop a few bear grylls knives, and bring some of these back

• Upvote 1

Gerber came out with a shorter version called the LMF w/10.75" OAL & 6" blade. The handle was a different shape which I recall...didn't care for it. I had the first version of the BMF, w/OAL 14.5" & 8" or 8.5" blade (Can't recall). I know they came out w/ a longer blade, me thinks 9" in the latter days of production. There was a sawless version as well...I too wish Gerber would reintroduce the BMF also.

DomC 

• Upvote 1

I remember the BMF and LMF in the 80’s and so wanted to buy them but they were way above the pocket money I got as a kid.

The Big Mother Fingamabod and the Little Mother Fingamabob would be a nice duo to have!!!  I agree, I wish they would bring back these Bad A$$ Blades!

Very nice review zackmars!

Kind regards,

Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 1

Yep, they really were a better option (my opinion) than the Rambo knives available at the time.

Just getting one in hand, made males want to leap out and murder the nearest trembling tree.

Thank goodness they stopped making them or there would be no trees left to pee on when out in the wilderness.;)

• Upvote 2

I bought 1of these knives in 87,I used it as my main webbing knife when I was in the Australian army it served me well until I retired in 95.i still have and use this knife on a regular basis.from stabbing pigs to dressing goats and making kindling for fires it does it all and does it well. 

• Upvote 2