Survival Threads
btl5008

looking for a new EDC light

so i have been carrying a streamlight microstream for several years now, and while i love the light, i am looking for something with a higher output. 

the best thing about the microstream is it is extremely small and light.  downside is the power.

I have always been someone that prefers the standard AA and AAA battery lights to the CR 123s.  mostly for simplicity's sake and in keeping things standard.  i also prefer AA and AAAs due to their wide availability.  a light wont do me much good if the batteru dies and i cant get another.

That said, i am not wholly opposed to CR 123 lights. 

this is to be an EDC light, and for that, I require a pocket clip.  preferably one that carrys somewhat deep.  that is really about the only true requirement is have.  i also do prefer a tail switch

there are a few ive been looking at recently. 

the fenix LD12

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Compact-Flashlight-Battery-LumenTac/dp/B00C31G24M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439487121&sr=8-1&keywords=fenix+ld12

the fenix LD02

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD02-Flashlight-battery-Tactical/dp/B00SGT1H3Q/ref=pd_sim_469_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZPJCF20G51XPRPJ5DK7

the thrunite T10

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZOZBBK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2C6PNVCN407SP

now i do not have experience with either of these, but i have heard good things.  unfortunately, i am not nearly as knowledgeable on lights as i am with knives, but thats why im asking the question.  i dont require a trillion lumens, but i would like something with a little more power

if anyone has experience with either of these, or has any other lights they really enjoy for EDC, i would love some opinions.

Thank you,

Edited by btl5008
  • Upvote 1

I have a bunch of Fenix lights, this is the one I keep with me at all times:

Fenix E12 CREE XP-E2

Three easily select-able brightness settings so you can decide time vs brightness and it runs on a single AA. No Pocket clip though.  The LD12 that you linked looks the same pretty much, i'm sure the internals will be close enough to similar.

Edited by Crowfax
  • Upvote 2

I have a bunch of Fenix lights, this is the one I keep with me at all times:

Fenix E12 CREE XP-E2

Three easily select-able brightness settings so you can decide time vs brightness and it runs on a single AA. No Pocket clip though.  The LD12 that you linked looks the same pretty much, i'm sure the internals will be close enough to similar.

i actually looked at those.  i really want a pocket clip though.  i have started looking and an aftermarket clip might be an option though

EDIT:  just found this too.  looks about the same size wise.  might have to give it a shot http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD09-Tactical-Flashlight-EdisonBright/dp/B00MB1MJFA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1439495365&sr=1-1&keywords=fenix+ld09

Edited by btl5008
  • Upvote 1

Weighing in on the C123 , CR123 , AA, AAA side. I have a Solarforce that uses the C123s and don't carry it because the batteries don't stand up to knocking around. After having several die for no apparent good reason I did an autopsy on a couple. Turned out the internal thermal fuse was getting flexed by the actual Li-ion battery moving in the case. Metal fatigue of the thermal junction followed in short order. Still a very bright light, it's in arms reach where I sleep. The Fenix lights are well made, bright and will run on what most people would consider dead batteries. Water proof to 1 meter, so dropping into a sink is no issue ( or deliberately putting in a pan with soap and water if it's fallen into some less desirable material ). If I only had one light, that would be my pick. I gave one to my 87 year old neighbour and it ran until the batteries had swollen and leaked. Had to drive them out with a punch and hammer, then hone the inside of the light. So .. now mine lives in my general purpose grab bag ( intended for any time I get called to a job on no notice ) with the batteries in a re-purposed "child proof" pill bottle ( several sets actually ).

For every day, I tend toward the insect approach. If one dies, there are many more to take it's place. Have three on me right now. Magnetic mount , 2 AA "Prime-Lite" Water proof, 7 LEDs in a line down a side, area lighting. Have lowered one into 7 feet of tankage to find a sludge level, no problems. Not expensive ( About $24 ). Lives in my denim jacket breast pocket.

Also have a single AA  light in my right pocket, small bright and water proof. A lucky find at $3.00 each. No obvious brand.

And a "Voltax" 3 AAA . in my inside cargo pocket on my jacket. Those ones are $2.50 now, work fine but not waterproof unless you spend the time to add seals ( switch looks good, two "O" rings would finish the job ). That price includes batteries so I have these things everywhere. Glove box, first aid kit, cold weather survival pack, by the breaker panel. On shelves... you get the idea.

• Upvote 1

Looks like it has all the same features; I hope you like it.  Post and let me know!  

this looks about exactly what i want.  similar size.  higher output.  good construction.  deepish pocket clip.  and doesnt take up a ton more pocket real estate

• Upvote 1

Weighing in on the C123 , CR123 , AA, AAA side. I have a Solarforce that uses the C123s and don't carry it because the batteries don't stand up to knocking around. After having several die for no apparent good reason I did an autopsy on a couple. Turned out the internal thermal fuse was getting flexed by the actual Li-ion battery moving in the case. Metal fatigue of the thermal junction followed in short order. Still a very bright light, it's in arms reach where I sleep. The Fenix lights are well made, bright and will run on what most people would consider dead batteries. Water proof to 1 meter, so dropping into a sink is no issue ( or deliberately putting in a pan with soap and water if it's fallen into some less desirable material ). If I only had one light, that would be my pick. I gave one to my 87 year old neighbour and it ran until the batteries had swollen and leaked. Had to drive them out with a punch and hammer, then hone the inside of the light. So .. now mine lives in my general purpose grab bag ( intended for any time I get called to a job on no notice ) with the batteries in a re-purposed "child proof" pill bottle ( several sets actually ).

For every day, I tend toward the insect approach. If one dies, there are many more to take it's place. Have three on me right now. Magnetic mount , 2 AA "Prime-Lite" Water proof, 7 LEDs in a line down a side, area lighting. Have lowered one into 7 feet of tankage to find a sludge level, no problems. Not expensive ( About $24 ). Lives in my denim jacket breast pocket.

Also have a single AA  light in my right pocket, small bright and water proof. A lucky find at $3.00 each. No obvious brand.

And a "Voltax" 3 AAA . in my inside cargo pocket on my jacket. Those ones are $2.50 now, work fine but not waterproof unless you spend the time to add seals ( switch looks good, two "O" rings would finish the job ). That price includes batteries so I have these things everywhere. Glove box, first aid kit, cold weather survival pack, by the breaker panel. On shelves... you get the idea.

my issues with CR123's come from their just not being all that common.  its the prepper in me talking.  AA and AAA are everywhere.  even in a non emergency situation, i can walk into any gas station and have replacement batteries if mine go dead.  100ish lumens is plenty for my work.  i do not need it for tactical use.  im not blinding anyone at work haha  i need to be able to light up a dark room enough to see.  i need one to light up a dark staircase etc...

i realize that it isnt that hard to get 123s.  i can order a stack online.  but my issue comes in when ordering them or finding a store that sells them isnt an option.  the 900 lumen light in my pocket may be great, but its pretty useless when the battery is dead and i cant easily get another.  it really is just the prepper in me.  i always consider the chances of me coming across batteries when running to buy them or ordering them isnt an option.  in an emergency, i am far more likely to come across a AAA or AA.  and with the light output being sufficient for my needs, they are the obvious choice.

• Upvote 2

I have allot of flashlights hanging around. Tried many of them in order to find the ones that suit my purpose best.
I am not a pocket clip guy when it comes to flashlights. I have never seen a pocket clip that I trusted on a flashlight yet and I worry about losing them. Now if the pocket clip was attached like they are on knives, that would be a different story. I lean towards flashlights that have steel rings that you can put lanyards or carabiners thru. Gives me a better feeling of security. But that's me that's my foilble. I see guys all the time using pocket clips on flashlights and have suffered no loss.
Anyway, after searching and trying many flashlights I found two that I use allot. The Fenix E05 that is on my keychain which replaces my E01, and the Fenix E12 that is usually in my EDC bag or jacket pocket. They are both real good performers, both have three different lighting modes, and both operate on common everyday batteries. There is allot more features on both that I didn't name. But neither comes with a pocket clip.
I have both the Fenix LD01, and LD02, both of which are fine flashlights. Each one has its place in one of my various gear bags. Both come with a pocket clip and the LD01 has a steel ring and lanyard too.
I also have the LD09, another fine flashlight by Fenix. I like it because it comes with 3 different carry options, a lanyard, a pocket clip, and comes with a sheath too. And as you can tell, I am a big fan of Fenix.
But any of the above are great EDC lights and I am glad I own them.

• Upvote 2

I like my Fenix ( E20 ) light too. Gave one to my neighbour to the south. ( She's 87, living alone and the power up here goes out on a regular, if unpredictable, basis ) Paid about $60 for them at the Army / Navy surplus store in Seattle at the time. Mine lives on a lanyard clipped to the inside pocket on my jacket with a carabiner. That said, I also have a penlight with a real spring steel clip in the outside pocket. About 1/2 as bright as the E20, uses 2 AAA batteries and measures 12.5 CM long ( just under 5" US ) and at $7 ( CAD $ ) each, I bought a hand full without a second though, using the insect approach ( might lose, break, give away, etc. but there are lots where that came from ). Only lights I've had fail recently were MagLights which surprised me. I was never a big fan of the "spin the lens holder loose to turn on" switch but I did expect them to hold up otherwise. ( LED failed on one, "switch" assembly, on an older incandescent I still have )

Here is a link to the light I'm talking about  http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/aluminum-led-penlight/A-p8539074e 

Ps. with batteries in it weighs 27.8 grams. Less then the various common ounce weights ( 28.349 gram avoirdupois , 31.1 gram Troy, 28.75 gram Spanish ) but just over one Roman ounce ( 27.4 grams ). To quote Admiral Grace Hoper " The nice thing about standards is there are so many of them."

The parts are machined to take rubber "O" rings and the power switch is in a rubber cover, so a few pennies more and these could have been water resistant too. A bit of grease while assembling will probably help in a wet environment too.

Edited by Gary_Gough
typo
  • Upvote 1

i actually decided on the thrunite T10T.  i am planning to do a quick review with it sometime soon now that i have carried the light for a while.  i may still pick up a fenix to give it a try, but it is going to take something special to supplant this thing from my EDC rotation

it is almost exactly what i wanted.  small and slim, 1AA battery, solid output, useful modes (i have no need for SOS on my EDC light), and a good pocket clip.  the clip is securely screwed on, and has retention very similar to a knife.  i have no fear of this falling out of my pocket like i did with some other lights

the only thing i dont like about it is that the light does not turn on until the tail switch is filly pressed and released.  so no tactical momentary on.  but as this is not at all intended for any sort of tactical use, it is a relatively minor issue.  everything else about the light is excellent. 

light.JPG

• Upvote 3

i actually decided on the thrunite T10T.  i am planning to do a quick review with it sometime soon now that i have carried the light for a while.  i may still pick up a fenix to give it a try, but it is going to take something special to supplant this thing from my EDC rotation

it is almost exactly what i wanted.  small and slim, 1AA battery, solid output, useful modes (i have no need for SOS on my EDC light), and a good pocket clip.  the clip is securely screwed on, and has retention very similar to a knife.  i have no fear of this falling out of my pocket like i did with some other lights

the only thing i dont like about it is that the light does not turn on until the tail switch is filly pressed and released.  so no tactical momentary on.  but as this is not at all intended for any sort of tactical use, it is a relatively minor issue.  everything else about the light is excellent. 

light.JPG

Looking forward to the review. Love the look of this one. Always a sucker for small, slim flashlights. Makes them easier for me to throw into a purse and forget until I need 'em!

• Upvote 2

it is very compact and very well designed.  i tend to try and keep my EDC as light weight and unobtrusive as possible. this was a good find.  i honestly cant tell that i have it in my pocket, and the clip holds it very secure. 

i dont know flashlights nearly as well as i know knives, but sometimes that kind of review isnt such a bad thing.  im looking at it purely from a form and function perspective rather than based purely on technical specs.  those numbers are useful, but they dont always tell you how an item performs and whether it is worth the cost.  particularly to other people who arent experts.  ill have to take a few minutes some time and put together a more comprehensive review. 

i wanted to get some pocket time and use on the light before i endorsed it though.  i never got those reviews from people who just took something out of the box.  at that point you cant really say anything much more meaningful that how it feels and if you like the looks.  pretty worthless IMO

Edited by btl5008
  • Upvote 1

i wanted to get some pocket time and use on the light before i endorsed it though.  i never got those reviews from people who just took something out of the box.  at that point you cant really say anything much more meaningful that how it feels and if you like the looks.  pretty worthless IMO

The only time I like initial impression reviews is when there's a real review coming somewhere down the line later. It's kinda cool to compare initial impressions to what the person thinks of the knife after some real use. But yeah, as a standalone review, definitely initial impressions are not all that useful.

Edited by Elise
  • Upvote 1

The only time I like initial impression reviews is when there's a real review coming somewhere down the line later. It's kinda cool to compare initial impressions to what the person thinks of the knife after some real use. But yeah, as a standalone review, definitely initial impressions are not all that useful.

exactly.  i dont mind it if it is presented as their initial impressions.  but i frequently see people unbox something for the first time and then attempt to give a true review straight away.  that makes no sense to me.  i dont know how you can confidently make a judgement on something youve never used before

• Upvote 1

exactly.  i dont mind it if it is presented as their initial impressions.  but i frequently see people unbox something for the first time and then attempt to give a true review straight away.  that makes no sense to me.  i dont know how you can confidently make a judgement on something youve never used before

Agreed, lol! It's the strangest thing.

Titanium , that should hold up even if you get a leaking battery, Sounds like a great choice.  B|

• Upvote 2

Titanium , that should hold up even if you get a leaking battery, Sounds like a great choice.  B|

i am a big fan of titanium.  very light and super strong.  it can be pricey, although in this case i got a deal and the TI was the same price as the SS model.  couldnt say no

• Upvote 2

Hmm they make a little single AAA titanium light too. Think I'll order one and try it out ( not like I really need more LOL ).

id be interested in what you think of it.  i believe it is twist only which is a little disappointing.  id buy it in a second if it had a tail switch. 

• Upvote 1

Ordered, now up to the postal system. They don't really give much detail, twist can be a switch, loosen to run or tighten to run. Of the three the last tends to be the one that comes to pieces in the pocket ( have a Dorcy single AAA like that ).

• Upvote 1

I love my everyday carry Streamlight. I also have a Surefire that I'm fond of. Although both are expensive as far as lights go I don't regret the purchase. For someone on a budget and looking for a small carry light I'd recommend a Browning Tactical light. I have had one for about year that I picked up at Wal-Mart. It's small enough the fit in my pocket and has pocket clip and takes a single AA battery that doesn't drain fast at all. It's not nearly as bright as your higher end lights though

• Upvote 1

Ok, a keeper. I'm still not a fan of "tighten to run" but otherwise it seems well thought out. Tighten and defaults to the 115 hour 0.5 Lm "firefly" mode so accidental on isn't too big a deal, off and on again and it's at 12 Lm and rated run of 6 hours, ok for most stuff, off and on again and 162 Lm and kills the battery in 30 mins. one more cycle and 162 Lm strobe for an hour, Water proof to 1.5 meters. Comes with a spare O ring , clip and keychain in a tin box.

100_1672sm.JPG

100_1673sm.JPG

• Upvote 2

The cheaper alternatives to all of these flashlights would be something like these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/UltraFire-E17-CREE-XM-L-T6-2000Lumens-cree-led-Torch-Zoomable-cree-LED-Flashlight-Torch-light/750867177.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.21.iajdzN&ws_ab_test=201556_5,201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,0_0

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/high-quality-Mini-Black-CREE-2000LM-Waterproof-LED-Flashlight-3-Modes-Zoomable-LED-Torch-penlight-free/32243736117.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.iajdzN&ws_ab_test=201556_5,201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,0_0

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/R1B1-LED-Waterproof-Torch-Flashlight-Light-Lamp-New-Hot-Mini-Handy/1191791128.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.52.iajdzN&ws_ab_test=201556_5,201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,0_0

I own every three of them, so:

-The first one and the strongest one is really powerful flashlight, where XML T6 diode is powered by 3 AAA or one 18650 battery. Really good flashlight, and for the price/quality, it's like Morakniv in knives world. Unfortunately, not waterproof, but will work in emergency situation, tested... It has gaskets which unfortunately leak (maybe it's just mine)
It doesn't have 2000 lumens as Chinese claim, but it is more than enough to illuminate everything
- It has "zoom" function

- Second one is less powerful, but powered by only one AA battery, has a nice pocket clip and looks good. Maybe a better EDC choice as it is smaller than first one. All functions and capabilities like first one, just smaller and weaker. Also has zoom function

- Third choice is least complicated, least powerful of all. Also powered by one AA battery, which in my case is more expensive than the flashlight itself is inserted inside months ago, and still working like new. It is not powerful at all, but it can last more than 15 hours of constant illumination. Doesn't have zoom options, doesn't have flashing modes, only one, and it just flashes. Claimed to be waterproof, but I haven't tested this one.

• Upvote 1

Yes, great prices on those and my experience with China post is they are very fast ( ordered stuff from China and Texas the same day, Chinese items arrived at my post office in 4 days , stuff from Texas 2 weeks )

Maybe time to link these threads, from 2 months back..  http://survivalthreads.com/topic/168-let-there-be-light/?do=findComment&comment=1455

I do like cheap small lights as they can be scattered any place they may be needed without cost being an issue. Even if they aren't the brightest they'll generally let you find stuff at night, and there is always a trade off of intensity to battery life. Lots of the < $6 ( Canadian $ )  lights will run for 8 hours on 3 AAA cells and a few have multiple intensities too so you can chose to stretch the time out if you don't need a hand held search light at the time. Exception is that lighting club with 4 "D" cells , 16 hours of run time and about as bright as a 55 watt car headlight.

Edited by Gary_Gough
typo
  • Upvote 2