Survival Threads
Rowan

Leatherman Wingman

Rowan    500

Leatherman Wingman

Rowan H. Robbertze (August/2015)

What would you carry as an EDC that can perform most of what an average and unusual day will throw at you?

As a South African who did most of his growing up on farms, I was taught that a man must have a knife with him.  On a farm you are in the bush in the middle of nowhere and you need to be self-reliant.  There is always something that needs cutting even if it is just peeling your apple.  Getting dressed, part of your wardrobe is your pocket knife.

With the arrival of the Swiss army knife, your knife now had more tools and greater usability.  Then Leatherman produced the multi tool, the ultimate pocketknife.  From all the multi tools out there and from all the different makes I have owned, Leatherman stand a few levels above the rest.  I have to admit that I am an ENORMOUS fan of Leatherman!  No matter where I go or what large knife I use when surviving in the bush, Leatherman is always my backup knife.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review.thumb.jp

Leatherman markets the Wingman as a pocket tool and comes with a pouch and a carabineer tool.  It is made in the USA and you can feel the quality!!!

Dimensions

Knife:    Closed: 98mm

Open: 163mm

Blade: 65mm

Pliers: 154mm

Screwdriver: 220mm (Phillips)

Pouch: Leather

Price on the Wingman is R885.00

For the review I will be focusing on the Leatherman Wingman’s ability to be an all-round pocket tool.

Tools:

Blade ½ serrated

Scissors

Pliers with proper cutters for hard wire

Box cutter

Can opener

Flat & Phillips screwdriver

File

Pocket clip

Blade:

The Blade is ½ serrated with a nice sharp point, has a liner lock and flicks open like it is assisted.  It can be opened and closed with just one hand, which comes in handy as you do not want to have a shape blade open when working.  The blades unique shape allows it to be used as an everyday blade for cutting, peeling and any other task you will use a blade for.  Shape also permits it to be used as a carpet cutter.  You are able to hone it to a razor sharp edge.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review2.thumb.jrowan-leatherman-wingman-review3.thumb.j

Scissors:

Scissors are very capably for their size and have assisted on numerous occasions when there were no large scissors available or when bandages needed to be cut.  They are always there for wrapping presents to cut the paper and the tape.  A liner lock is used to keep them in place.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review5.thumb.j

Pliers:

These are proper hard working pliers that can grip and crunch as well as normal pliers and are stronger than any Chinese plier I have ever had the displeasure of using.  The fact that they are spring-loaded makes them a pleasure to use.  This is a feature I wish all my other Leatherman’s had!  The cutter handles anything from thin wires for traps and snares all the way to serious wire.  The needle noise is perfect for making loops for snares and grips well.  They have even doubled as nut crackers.  The pliers have also served in many suspicious bathrooms to close and open door locks.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review6.thumb.jrowan-leatherman-wingman-review7.thumb.j

Box cutter:

The box cutter was of great use with my previous job where I had to cut open countless boxes sparing my blade for other choirs.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review8.thumb.j

Can opener/Wire stripper:

The can opener comes in handy anytime someone at work or camp has a can that is not one of the easy open cans J  Seems no one has can openers any more,…  It also works great to strike a spark on a fire steel. The wire stripper works well and cuts through the plastic on the wire with ease.  If you press to hard it even goes through the wire J  It can also be used for the fire steel.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review9.thumb.j

Flat & Phillips screwdriver:

Both the flat & Philips screwdriver is well sized and fit most screws.  It is perfect for changing a plug, fixing light switches.  It opens lids of paint cans.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review10.thumb.rowan-leatherman-wingman-review11.thumb.

File/Ruler/Screwdriver:

The file is short bit usable for smoothing bolts ere even touch up on the machete.  It also features a small ruler with both metric and imperial along with a small flat screwdriver.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review12.thumb.

Clip:

The pocket clip is functional and in my opinion renders the pouch useless, but could have been tighter as the knife has fallen out when using the pocket clip. This seems to be inherent to all the Leatherman’s I own.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review13.thumb.

For defence, the blade, though small can both cut and puncture.  It makes a very good, comfortable and functional Koga stick.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review14.thumb.

Quality wise, none of the other manufactures come close to the abilities of the Leatherman.  I have had this specific Wingman for 4 years, and it has always done what I needed it to do.

Modifications I did to my Wingman was to satin polish the blade to help with rust prevention and to round the serrations for smoother and safer cutting of the most important thing a knife can ever accomplish, carving Biltong.

rowan-leatherman-wingman-review15.thumb.

The Wingman is a real tool meant to be used.  It is not a toy and the equipment that is in this tool is fully functional unlike the Chinese.

When it came to negatives I had to look for were the following.  The blade does not remain as sharp as long as I would like, but this does knife works VERY hard and I like a razors sharp blade.  It is prone to rust if you are not careful and if too well oiled, the tool leaves your pockets stained with oil.  This is not good if you wear formal pants for work.  The plier point is NOT like on all my other Leatherman’s  that make perfect contact at the tip, in fact it actually as a large gap that even the cheap Chinese versions do not have.

Practicality and usefulness of this tool is only limited by your own abilities!  It is a strong, well designed and capable piece of kit!  I am VERY happy with the performance of the Wingman and I view it as one of my best all round knives/tools.  If I have the Wingman with me I can perform any task I need to at the office, in the kitchen, on the road at home, away on travel and in the bush.  The Wingman gives you the best of everything you need in almost all situations.  Even though this is not a “field/outdoor” knife, the Sidekick takes that honour, the Wingman has been on numerous excursions into the bush always performing well.   

The Wingman delivers 110% of what Leatherman markets it for and can be used by anyone who needs tools.  It will work for the professional carpenter/plumper, average tinkerer and even single moms having to fix their own appliances.  The Leatherman Wingman is indeed a wingman you can depend on!

Leatherman Wingman.docx

• Upvote 3

Elise    923

Spring loaded pliers are amazing. I agree - wish all Leathermans came like that! Also really like the comment about the Wingman having the ability to be a functional Koga stick.

Certainly Leatherman has some of the best multi-tools on the market. So many multi-tools add additional functions that are just gimmicks, it's great to see a product where everything on it just works.

Loved the review! Thanks, Rowan!

• Upvote 1

Thomas    903

I own both the wingman and the sidekick and they are definitely (bang for buck) some of the best multitools on the market, I really love the spring loaded pliers & flexibility of having so many tools (especially compared to the rather limited skeletool!) but I do wish the blade was easier/faster top open one handed.

Great review!

• Upvote 1

Rowan    500

Dear btl5008,

The best people to review products are the ones using them.

If you buy the best knife in the world and it only sits in a showcase, how good is it???

I would rather buy a knife that a friend tells me is good that one that has a great write up on the Internet,

Kind regards,

Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 1

Elise    923

great review.  makes me want to review some of the tools/knives i use on a regular basis

You should!

100% agree! The more you use a product the more qualified you become to review it.

• Upvote 1

btl5008    104

Dear btl5008,

If you buy the best knife in the world and it only sits in a showcase, how good is it???

I would rather buy a knife that a friend tells me is good that one that has a great write up on the Internet,

Kind regards,

Rowan H. Robbertze

i definitely agree.  i always got a laugh out of things like unboxing video reviews.  how the heck can you competently review something you are just holding for the first time?  initial impressions?  sure.  but you cant offer too much beyond that

• Upvote 1

Rowan    500

Dear Elise,

You are correct. Those who use it and keep using it, know what they are talking about and proves the product lasts.

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

Dear btl5008,

I agree, past initial impressions, you cannot say much on unboxing.  I have bought some amazing knives that broke just as amazingly when I used them…

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 2

PappyHiker    385

I was attempted to buy the Wingman on several occasions, especially when I seen it at my local WalMart for $22.97. Didn't do it though. First of all I already have 2 Leatherman tools, the Rebar, and the Sidekick........ Couldn't see the reason for having three. But that price kept me wanting to go back and get one.............. I kept stalling though. The reason? The serrated blade. I just don't like serrated blades.......... So I continued to stall............................ Then it was too late, they were all gone on my last visit.............. Oh well. You snooze, you lose.

• Upvote 1

Rowan    500

Dear Dave,

I have to agree, if it did not have a serrated baled it would be better!  but i love that little knife!

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 2

PappyHiker    385

Dear Dave,

I have to agree, if it did not have a serrated baled it would be better!  but i love that little knife!

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

Just bought one today............. Price was right...... and I believe it will serve me well.....

• Upvote 2

Elise    923

Just bought one today............. Price was right...... and I believe it will serve me well.....

I really want to know how much you paid for it, lol. With your track record of good finds, I doubt it's a price anyone has matched.

PappyHiker    385

I really want to know how much you paid for it, lol. With your track record of good finds, I doubt it's a price anyone has matched.

$27.96. Not as good as I previously passed on.
But there are plenty who swear by it so I felt I should at least give it a try.
Gonna play with it for a while then, who knows????? Maybe give it to one of my grandsons.

• Upvote 1

PappyHiker    385

Dear Dave,

Enjoy!!! It is the Leatherman I enjoy the most for work & EDC.

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

Oh, I will enjoy it. I previously posted I already had 2 Leathermans, the "Sidekick" and the "Rebar". Now add the "Wingman" to the list.
This would have been my 4th but the "Supertool" I had is with my brother in North Carolina. I lent it to him when he was on a visit. Guess he forgot to return it???? I'll never see that tool again.  Brothers. Whatcha gonna do?

• Upvote 2

Rowan    500

Dear Dave,

I bet your brother is enjoying the Leatherman and thinks of you very time he uses it!

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 2

I have owned and used a Leatherman Wave now for 20 years now and it is a stable in my EDC Bag .... Just can't beat the build, reliability and usefulness of Leatherman Multitools. I would love to maybe try a few other models and see if there is something more suited to my EDC needs but the Price Tag over here in the UK is pretty steep for just trying them out so reviews like yours really help people make good informed choices !

• Upvote 1

Thomas    903
On 17/06/2017 at 0:38 PM, preppingandsurvivalguide.com said:

I have owned and used a Leatherman Wave now for 20 years now and it is a stable in my EDC Bag .... Just can't beat the build, reliability and usefulness of Leatherman Multitools. I would love to maybe try a few other models and see if there is something more suited to my EDC needs but the Price Tag over here in the UK is pretty steep for just trying them out so reviews like yours really help people make good informed choices !

Keep an eye on the second hand boards for the UK specific forums. You can swipe a bargain pretty regularly, especially around Christmas as folks often need a smidgen more cash.

Remember that (for now) you can buy gear from all EU vendors without issues from shipping in terms of excessive taxation/custom control. Something to think about!