Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Is oil going to hit $39.00 dollars a barrel?

Reasoning they have been spouting in the US, they being the oil companies, is due to a refinery malfunction (I believe it was one in Oklahoma). It is a big fat load, but they have to say something to protect their monopoly status. This is certainly not a market response, it is a taking advantage of controlling everything response. I do keep in mind that the gas station owners typically make next to nothing per gallon of gas. Their real money comes from the convenience stores attached to the station.

• Upvote 2

As anyone who has had anything to do with the IRS knows, the Gov't likes their tax money and have a vested interest in making sure that the price at the pump does not drop much.

If it was as easy as supply and demand, there would be an ethanol plant every 10 miles here.

Even 0 emissions mandates are hard fought to keep Oil, and Auto, Gov't in the $

Who would not want a cheap electric car with good performance, longevity and 0 emissions.

Loss of tax at the pumps for Govt Auto makers with Big Unions and Oil companies is who.

Plus you can make electricity at home unlike gas...power to the people I say..

http://www.ibtimes.com/tesla-motors-fighting-automakers-who-want-california-include-plug-hybrids-chevrolet-1967798

• Upvote 4

Oddly, while oil is dropping, gas pump prices up here have never been much higher ( $1.25 / litre as of yesterday ).

Same is going on in my neck of the woods, they keep trying to blame refinery issues in the mid-west but I'm pretty sure it's price fixing as profits disappear. 

• Upvote 2

If it was as easy as supply and demand, there would be an ethanol plant every 10 miles here.

Around 1921 there was one Thomas Midgley, Jr.  An extraordinary chemist working for General Motors.

GM gave him 2 weeks to come up with a gasoline additive that would reduce engine knock and boost octane.  When confronted with this problem he just shrugged and simply said “I already have the answer.”

He told the whip swingers at GM to simply start pushing ethanol.  You know …  That liquid based on corn.  Aka MOONSHINE!  That lovely dew that any corn farmer could produce in VAST quantities in his BARN!

Now at this time STANDARD OIL held a full 25% of GM’s stock. Must you guess at what the Standard Oil folks, sitting on the  GM board of directors, had to say about this idea?      NO       F             g    WAY! And oh by the way NEVER USE THE “E” word again!

That was 1921

So Midgley went on to develop TEL (Tetraethyllead) (Tetra Ethyl Lead)  aka LEAD based fuel.  Now the DuPont brothers had a horse in this race also.  They ended up with the patient on TEL.  

So there you have it.

The board of directors of Dupont and Standard Oil are going down on the board members of GM to use TEL and not ethanol.

Thank you Standard Oil, and GM, and DuPont,  and Midgley. For poisoning 4 generations of children.

Side Notes: (you all know I will have side notes)

DuPont is still producing TEL in larger quantities than ever and selling it to 3rd world countries.

Midgley Also came up with “Freon”  That crap that depletes the ozone layers faster that Co2.

So HERE’S TO ETHANOL !              Drive on it. Start your fires with it. Kill germs with it. Drink it. And on a hot night rub your SO’s body with it.

PJL ____________________________________________________________________________

If it’s worth saying.  ~~  It’s probably already been said better than I could say it.

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 1

Oddly, while oil is dropping, gas pump prices up here have never been much higher ( $1.25 / litre as of yesterday ).

Just for reference..............    Toady in Portland Oregon it  was  $0.73 / liter US....

Best price found on the east side.   

Edited by PJL

PJL says:

" Aka MOONSHINE!  That lovely dew that any corn farmer could produce in VAST quantities in his BARN! "

They prolly had one a  these..

still.thumb.jpg.bf06660850825b8bd2deb434

• Upvote 1

As anyone who has had anything to do with the IRS knows, the Gov't likes their tax money and have a vested interest in making sure that the price at the pump does not drop much.

Who would not want a cheap electric car with good performance, longevity and 0 emissions.

Loss of tax at the pumps for Govt Auto makers with Big Unions and Oil companies is who.

http://www.ibtimes.com/tesla-motors-fighting-automakers-who-want-california-include-plug-hybrids-chevrolet-1967798

Agree 100% , the technology is already here, its just not made available to the masses. The idea of a populace not dependent on the grid is terrifying for the Oligarch and administration. Only have to look at the criminalization of producing your own electricity in Spain to see how broken the system is. One of the sunniest places on earth with less solar generation (by many orders of magnitude) compared to Germany. 

• Upvote 1

The only question I pose to the government portion of it, is that usually the instance of driving (in the US at least) goes up as gas prices drop. Since taxes on gas sales in the US are on a per gallon, rather than percentage basis, lower gas prices often lead to higher revenues. However, the counter to that is that increased efficiency in vehicles leads to lower revenues unless the total number of miles goes up. Of course if total miles driven goes up then the need for increased road maintenance arises creating a lovely little vicious cycle.

Of course if total miles driven goes up then the need for increased road maintenance arises creating a lovely little vicious cycle.

But then there are more wages (and taxes) paid for distribution of more gallons. And more driving means more $$'s spent on coffee, snacks, motels etc. and all the taxes there in.     Vicious cycle indeed.  Like a hospital owner that shoots himself in the foot to increase patient count.

"Since taxes on gas sales in the US are on a per gallon,"

As true in Canada William. More volume more Revenue for the Govt. As PJL points out:

the higher the prices, the more profits for the oil companies and distributors.

Which of course is also a Revenue source for the Gov't. The higher the profits, the more tax dollars they make to give us all the wonderful things that show up in our lives everyday.

Edited by Dan Seven
puntualitiness

I've read that some annalist are saying it could go as low as $15.00 that is crazy. 

SHEESH!!! That would be lower than it was when Saddam invaded Kuwait right after my 10th birthday in 1990.