Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Drug Expiration Dates

I'm asked all the time about expiration dates on drugs and as a person the spends money on lots of drugs both because I'm a type 1 diabetic and I horde medical supplies, it's something I think about all the time. My favorite Dr. good 'ol Dr. bones (aka Dr. Joe Alton, MD) wrote an excellent article on just this subject go read it on his Doom and Bloom website here. The man's goal is to put someone with some medical training in every group and family. I fully support that mission, that is for sure. You can also find out more information on the (SLEP) Shelf Life Extension Program here.

• Upvote 3

I'm asked all the time about expiration dates on drugs and as a person the spends money on lots of drugs both because I'm a type 1 diabetic and I horde medical supplies, it's something I think about all the time. My favorite Dr. good 'ol Dr. bones (aka Dr. Joe Alton, MD) wrote an excellent article on just this subject go read it on his Doom and Bloom website here. The man's goal is to put someone with some medical training in every group and family. I fully support that mission, that is for sure. You can also find out more information on the (SLEP) Shelf Life Extension Program here.

Good article, and pretty much what I had heard elsewhere as well. I wish there had been a bit more info on liquid forms and if gelcaps are considered a liquid or solid for his purposes. I ended up having to read it in an incognito version of Chrome as it was saying that the site had exceeded the allowable page views from my location.

• Upvote 2

When my Mother was still with us she would slip me an Oxycodone if my sciatica flared up. My sister knew this so when Mom moved on to a better place Sis kept the pain meds for me.  The date on the bottle is 2008 and I can tell you they are still kick ass. I have a dozen in my BOB.  The drug I'd like to lay my hands on is lignocaine for my suture kit.

PJL _______________________________________________________________________________________

I will stop at nothing to reach my objective, but only because my breaks are defective.

• Upvote 1

This is a great topic.  How would you go about getting yourself a vial of lidocaine though?  I have to imagine the stuff is pretty controlled, and unless you swipe it while you are in the doctors office I am not seeing many other ways to obtain it.

I would not know how to get more, truthfully, and thankfully I did not swipe it.

Yes, this a difficult item to obtain, and I hope I never have to use it..