Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

New List of Long Term Storage Items

I've added a few new things to my barter slash long term stuffs, only thing holding me back for more stuff is space:

• iodized salt
  • sugar
  • honey (local and pure)
  • backing powder
  • corn starch
  • booze (mainly ever clear) 
  • white vinegar

What's missing, what would you have?

• Upvote 1

For barter, I would include as many spices as possible. People hate bland food after a very short while. Plus they are super lightweight/low bulk size. 

As a true add on to the barter list, if possible space wise, toilet paper and feminine hygiene products as well as condoms. Bodily functions and amorous desires will not go away just because an emergency happens.

• Upvote 1

For barter, I would include as many spices as possible. People hate bland food after a very short while. Plus they are super lightweight/low bulk size.

Very good point. Hell whenever I move I'm unpleasantly reminded of the fact that I need to stock up on these and not just the staples as well.

As another (pipe) smoker, zippo lighter flints. 91% isopropyl alcohol will work, sorta, in a zippo, as well as being a disinfectant and fire starter. (Try this to start bbq charcoal.. no kerosene flavor). 

For barter, think Dollar Store. To quote a late friend who got out of Eastern Europe a step ahead of the nazis, "shtf, nobody makes change. You want a loaf of bread and have a silver dime. You have a gold kruggerrand, guess what it costs?"

Bulk packs of toothbrushes,  disposable razors, kids books or KJV Bibles or crappy fake swiss army knives that cost a buck now might get you a trade for something that would otherwise cost gasoline or food or ammo.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wyzyrd said:

Agreed the dollar store is a prepping paradise!!! 

I have also learned that the Flint leftover in any kind of Bic type lighter will work in a Zippo. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, Wyzyrd said:

As another (pipe) smoker, zippo lighter flints. 91% isopropyl alcohol will work, sorta, in a zippo, as well as being a disinfectant and fire starter. (Try this to start bbq charcoal.. no kerosene flavor). 

For barter, think Dollar Store. To quote a late friend who got out of Eastern Europe a step ahead of the nazis, "shtf, nobody makes change. You want a loaf of bread and have a silver dime. You have a gold kruggerrand, guess what it costs?"

Bulk packs of toothbrushes,  disposable razors, kids books or KJV Bibles or crappy fake swiss army knives that cost a buck now might get you a trade for something that would otherwise cost gasoline or food or ammo.

the same business advice today - know your clientele - will still prevail in a SHTF barter/trade dealings >>>> as a well prepared prepper - what exactly would you be trading FOR & IN EXCHANGE with the sheeple? - they'll be looking for everything & virtually anything - trouble is again what's there for you? 

no trouble laying in extra low key items that'll always be useful - but what you'll need to get premium items & services a prepper might need to acquire will be "like in kind" premium goods >>> stockpiled items you might have for your own purposes - but enough for trading and still handle your needs? ....

instead of a $100 worth of $1 items - 4 or 5 bottles of mid range $$ booze might be a wiser choice ....

Edited by Illini Warrior