Survival Threads

Hello, I am new here so if I'm talking nonsense please feel free to set me straight. Where we live there are a few power cuts, especially in the winter, so everyone keeps candles and matches ready. Since I've become AWARE I've been thinking about making my own candles with beeswax. I've never done it before so I ordered beeswax and wicks online, but if it works I'd like to identify a local seller of beeswax. However it's quite expensive. I am concerned about stocking up on cheap candles because I read the paraffin and oils used can be bad for your health. I was wondering if you might have any advice/thoughts? Thank you, Dani

• Upvote 1

Bees wax......... Please don't laugh...

Here in the US, before a toilet is set in the floor, a ring of bees wax is installed around the bottom exit port of the bowl.

This "plumbers" bees wax ring is much cheaper than other sources. It is the same product,  produced by the same little black and yellow workers. It has no additives so works just like the real thing. Because it IS! the real thing.   lol  I crack myself up sometimes.

Others here will suggest other products for candles but I just wanted to address the Bee Thing in this post.

PJL __________________________________________________________________________________

Avoid people who promise you everything  ~~  Unless they ready to pay a substantial advance in cash.

• Upvote 2

PJL really! Wow I learn something all the time on this forum, I just replaced the toilet in my mother and laws house and I had no idea the ring I put down was Bees wax.... The more you know the more you know.

• Upvote 1

ok..umm..unless it from an old hardware store..or under an old toilet, chances

are is that these rings are a petroleum product, as they went petroleum years ago.

The stuff for hair waxing at a salon supply is still beeswax, and beekeepers are

supposed to be a good supply of it..Not sure where the prices are at though..

• Upvote 3

• Upvote 3

ok..umm..unless it from an old hardware store..or under an old toilet, chances

are is that these rings are a petroleum product, as they went petroleum years ago.

The stuff for hair waxing at a salon supply is still beeswax, and beekeepers are

supposed to be a good supply of it..Not sure where the prices are at though..

Dan,    Thanks for the update.. I haven't used them in years.  I was about to buy a few and try a water proofing idea I read about.  Will have to re-think this now.

As far as candles go..   Would make for a fun experiment to try them anyhow.

And thanks to you also William....

PJL __________________________________________________________________________

Please don't ask me what the score is ~~ I'm not even sure what game we're playing.

• Upvote 1

Yes PJL.    likely mostly Paraffin wax and would work like a charm, not like a person can eat beeswax..

Or can they?  

People are full of surprises..

• Upvote 2

Yes PJL.    likely mostly Paraffin wax and would work like a charm, not like a person can eat beeswax..

Or can they?  

People are full of surprises..

Sure they can, but not many nutrients in bees wax in and of itself I would think

• Upvote 2

That sounds good..thanks for the tip, didn't look into soy wax at all! Thanks x

What an ABSOLUTLY GRAND ! web site.  THANK YOU !!!!

PJL_________________________________________________________________________________________

If God dwells inside us like some people say  ~~  I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 1

I am concerned about stocking up on cheap candles because I read the paraffin and oils used can be bad for your health. I was wondering if you might have any advice/thoughts?

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I personally wouldn't at all be concerned about stocking up on cheap candles, especially if you're only planning on using them in emergency situations. They can't be so bad for your health that using them during nighttime for one week every 5 odd years would do serious damage to your health (no matter how many you light!), and those prepping dollars are valuable, so personally, if I'm honest, I'd stick to the cheaper stuff as backup/emergency candles.

• Upvote 1

I totally see your point..I think I'm beginning to feel a shift in myself towards preparedness over perfectionism - for example I read that canned goods are not the best because the coating of the cans can be toxic if the cans are stored for long periods of time. I told my husband today and he said 'when shtf the last thing you'll be concerned about is the coating of the cans'!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I totally see your point..I think I'm beginning to feel a shift in myself towards preparedness over perfectionism - for example I read that canned goods are not the best because the coating of the cans can be toxic if the cans are stored for long periods of time. I told my husband today and he said 'when shtf the last thing you'll be concerned about is the coating of the cans'!!!!!

Wise words from the husband. Definitely need to look at it in terms of preparedness over perfectionism, you're 100% right there. Especially at first. If you want to get finicky over things later - do it! Go nuts! But if an emergency situation hits later and you didn't have enough in the meantime to be able to afford beeswax candles, though you did have enough to buy a bunch of cheap ones and throw 'em in a closet, you might regret not doing that.

Sounds to me like your husband also seems on the same page as you with regards to prepping, and it looks to me like he's making a great sounding board. There are always things that you should splurge on and spend good money on improving, while others maybe you can pass on until you have the basic groundwork laid. He seems to be the type of person who'd be very good at telling the difference.

He's a very wise, capable man. He doesn't believe in survivalism or prepper but he's looking for us to become SELF SUFFICIENT. I am happy to divide tasks that way:) however I hope he comes round! Once again thank you for your kind words. Sorry Elise as we are here may I ask you if you'd know of a good medical/first aid basic list? Gary Gough's list is fantastic but too complex for me at this point, and not too enthused about The survival mom's one (though I totally love her)..what do you think?

• Upvote 1

He's a very wise, capable man. He doesn't believe in survivalism or prepper but he's looking for us to become SELF SUFFICIENT. I am happy to divide tasks that way:) however I hope he comes round! Once again thank you for your kind words. Sorry Elise as we are here may I ask you if you'd know of a good medical/first aid basic list? Gary Gough's list is fantastic but too complex for me at this point, and not too enthused about The survival mom's one (though I totally love her)..what do you think?

Being completely self-sufficient is I think a prepper's ultimate dream, really. So to me, it's all the same good ol' stuff :)

I'm sure if he wants you to be self-sufficient, he'd likely come round to seeing the point in being prepared for bad situations very quickly, and that's really all there is to prepping.

About the medical/first aid basics list, I'm going to tag dthomasdigital, as he honestly knows a lot about this stuff and I'm sure would be able to get you hooked up with a number of lists that you could choose from to start with!

We've been meaning to do one for MTJS for ages, but haven't nearly gotten around to doing it (as with so many other posts!), but I'll try to bump it up the list so that maybe we'll have something ready in the next couple of months.

Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1

A little late now mum, but if you want to go all natural with your candles with good quality. Jute twine makes an awesome wick with a perfect burn. Just an option and surely cheaper for your next batch.

• Upvote 1